• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Where are all the SC instructors?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Author Where are all the SC instructors?
J.R.

Posted: 2002-05-30 01:15
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wondering how to go about finding a teacher to help me learn the SC method.....
J. R.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tptguy
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2002-05-30 15:55
Call Jerry Callet at (800) 527-4676. If he can't recommend someone in your area then you could always consider taking lessons with Jerry by phone. I know that has been a huge help for me and a number of his other students. I don't recall what the charge was for phone lessons, but if memory serves, it was very reasonable. Best regards, Kyle

BrassClass
Veteran Member

Posted: 2002-05-30 16:38
How does the lesson via phone work? Seems if Jerry can't see what your embouchure is doing and the audio quality being somewhat limited, it would be hard to really get much help over the phone

tom turner
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2002-05-30 19:55
Quote:

On 2002-05-30 16:38, BrassClass wrote:
How does the lesson via phone work? Seems if Jerry can't see what your embouchure is doing and the audio quality being somewhat limited, it would be hard to really get much help over the phone

Hi,

Gee, that's a great question. Lots of folks claim to have been helped through the years this way by Callet, so there must be something to it.

Since you seem genuinely curious about this, why don't you give it a try and let us know how it went . . . and it would be economical too!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner

PS: Do you have the Callet materials and video too? They are essential to understanding this method.

[ This Message was edited by: tom turner on 2002-05-30 19:55 ]

tptguy
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2002-05-31 00:31
<<<How does the lesson via phone work? Seems if Jerry can't see what your embouchure s doing and the audio quality being somewhat limited, it would be hard to really get much help over the phone >>

This evening, one of my students was warming up in the front room and I was about 75 feet away in a back room. 1/2 way to the front I was yelling to my student what corrections to make in his embouchure. Jerry used to amaze me with his ability to hear the differences in embouchure but after a number of years studying with him I now think the differences in sound are as big a barn. I've never done it over the phone, but Jerry sure has. As Tom says, put him to the test. You have very little to lose and I think you'll learn a ton. Best regards, Kyle

PS - If you are going to seriously study with Jerry over the phone then don't get the SC book and video. Jerry approaches things in such a different way today that you would find the two approaches totally confusing. If you don't directly study with Jerry, then get the materials. - kes

[ This Message was edited by: tptguy on 2002-05-31 00:36 ]

William Bentley

Posted: 2002-06-25 21:21
I have made tremendous strides in SC development and progress after a couple of lessons with Lee Adams a couple of years ago. Some of the good TH forum stuff about SC have helped me significantly.
The phone lesson thing with Callet is limited for SC starters. Too many things need to be looked at to depend on the phone thing.
Callet told me on the phone that I was doing it right whenever my sound was the fullest. Unfortunately for me the pucker embouchure I later found out was causing the better sound yet Callet told me it was correct. He simply could not see that I was over doing the chin bunch which caused my lips to roll out in a pucker formation. Sure my sound was better than what I was doing earlier but it certainly was not super chops.
My best results and improvement came after getting the book and video with some close up lessons from Lee Adams. He is genuine and sincere about helping people with SC usually free of charge including doing clinics and Callet horn and mouthpiece exhibits at his office. He really deserves more credit than he gets. Thanks Lee!

Regards
WB

[ This Message was edited by: william bentley on 2002-06-26 02:24 ]

tptguy
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2002-06-26 01:24
William,

<<<Callet told me on the phone that I was doing it right whenever my sound was the fullest. Unfortunately for me the pucker embouchure I later found out was causing the better sound yet Callet told me it was correct.

I wasn't part of the phone conversation that you refer to, of course, so I can't comment specifically on it. However, I've never heard Callet search for a sound with "fullness". What he is looking for is a sound with brilliance, focus, and center with excellent intonation. A pucker embouchure doesn't give that sound though, depending on a student's current level, it might start one in a better direction.

Caution to others, if you decide to take phone lessons with Jerry, be prepared to dedicate yourself to a path for progress. It will require regular calls/checkups as well as changing techniques as your chops evolve. As others in TH have attested, it's not a quick fix; none are. Best regards, Kyle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: