• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

slow but steady progress with BE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barryj1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am proud to say that I was one of the first trumpet players to purchase the BE when it was mentioned on the Trumpet Herald. The book has had a huge impact on every aspect of my playing from tone production to endurance.

There have been no quantum leaps forward,... no spectacular developments to report. Rather, like the proverbial tortoise in the parable, my progress has been painfully slow but steady.

The other day I hit a high F that had the walls shaking. a rock solid, booming high F the likes of which I have never heard in forty (40) years of disciplined & dedicated trumpet playing. Previously, I struggled with an 'open' emboucher setting to hit C above the staff.

So what made the difference? The Balanced Emboucher, of course! By the way, I hit that earth-shattering F on a large, bowl-shaped symphonic mouthpiece.

barry

[ This Message was edited by: barryj1 on 2003-12-03 10:46 ]
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long have you been working with B.E. Barry?

A high F ain't bad, no matter the method.

Dave
barryj1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In answer to your question, I have been working with the BE for over a year now. Perhaps the most remarkable aspect of my improved playing has less to do with added range but rather ease of execution. I play things fairly effortlessly now that, in the past, would have either been beyond my physical abilities or techinically too risky.

Prior to switching to the BE approach, I always had to worry about cracking notes (i.e. not just in the upper register but below the staff as well). Even on a good night my chops were suspect. Now I simply put the horn to my lips and blow. The sound is full and centered. It is a heck of a lot more fun to play the horn when the notes are consistently there. I have Jeff Smiley to thank for that.

barry
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's all very positive.

I'm still in a period of rapid progress. (In the middle of my 2d week) I already had very strong lips from 46 years of playing, but B.E. is changing the focus of how I use those muscles. Lots of things are intergrating themselves quickly. The roll-in is happening, BUT I see it taking a while longer before it settles in and feels natural all the time. Despite this transatory feel, I've gained some reliable range and endurance, even with a bit of a hybrid embouchure. Anyway, I suspect that I'll plateau in a few weeks.

Dave
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry - yes, you were one of the first guys to get the book. Either you were gullible enough to believe the hype, or you tired of of being in the "no progress for a long time" rut, and had enough courage to see if you could pull yourself out.

I think that it was door number two.

You are obviously not alone. A common reason for sticking with BE is that players start seeing progress again. When this happens, the genie is out of the bottle, and a lot of old beliefs start falling off in a hurry.

Thanks for your many nice comments over the past two years. Hope you can contribute to this forum on a regular basis!

Jeff
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<A common reason for sticking with BE is that players start seeing progress again. When this happens, the genie is out of the bottle, and a lot of old beliefs start falling off in a hurry.>>

I think this is such a great statement by Jeff. So many of us spent years struggling with the trumpet while thinking "I am the problem, I wasn't born with the right face for playing trumpet successfully". At the same time, we've seen faces as divergent as Maynard, Charlie Shavers, etc. all having great success. So what gives? I hope that the success that new teaching methods are bringing to many will continue to inspire all brass players to recognize this: when the teachings don't work, change the teachers! Faces aren't wrong, but for many, many the traditional teachers sure have been. Best regards, Kyle
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Kyle!

As many readers here know, Kyle is now the official moderator of the newly restarted Callet forum, although he had been a major player on the previous SC forum for years.

Until working out the kinks with Callet, Kyle spent years practicing other methods with little success, hence his sensitivity to issues involving progress or lack therof.

He has also been a supporter of BE, as there are obvious connections between Callet stuff and BE (Jerry's Trumpet Yoga book had a big impact on me).

I always read Kyle's posts. You should too. In my opinion, Kyle is "the man," especially regarding Jerry's newest offering, Trumpet Secrets. Several players who post here are finding success mixing BE with Jerry's tongue-forward approach. I'm sure that we will hear much more about this in the coming months (and years!).

Jeff
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone. I am currently re-experimenting with the tongue thru the lips....SC/TCE.... I posted more about the on the new superchops website. Before this I was strengthening my tongue thru Irons exercises and that worked very well and then seemed to reach a natural plateau.

I think that being able to play all of Jeff's exercises easily is a great test of where your embouchure is at and makes sure that it is functioning at optimum efficiency. It truly lets you know whether or not your playing with a 'Balanced Embouchure'. Currently, my feeling is that it is because I can play all of Jeff's roll-in/roll-out exercises easily as well as the fast and even lip slurs with clicks, that now applying the new tonguing technique is going smoothly and results are happening quickly.

Note: I have achieved very good results with traditional articulation. The main reason for implementing the new tonguing techinique is for developing the extremes of the physical aspects of playing....For me personally it is the desire to produce a big sound with minimum effort above the double g (g above high c) and to basically totally get the trumpet out of the way so I can just focus on the music. All the best, Lex.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: