• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

bad tooth, to remove or not to remove

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardbopper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an abcessed tooth that killlllls me when doing lead work. I thought I should have it fixed rather than have it pulled because of embochure problems that could arise. The estiment for a root canal was too high. but to have it pulled I can do, should I try to wait for the root canal? In the meantime I have to play lead. any suggestions?
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do whatever the dentist thinks is medically correct. Teeth and oral fitness are very important. Which tooth is it?

Just my opinion, I am not a dentist.
Philip S.
NCTrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I have some rather extensive experience with this. Not only do I wear Invisalign braces (those clear plastic things that you can't see and you can take out whenever) but I've had three teeth pulled as a part of the orthodontic plan. As far back as eight years ago, I lost a baby tooth which had never been replaced by a permanent one (a rare case). It seems all my adult life I've dealt with whether or not my mouth was going to cooperate and allow me to play. I've had some real inner struggle with this.

But nowhere along the way have I had any real problem with my playing. Through real committment and steadfastness, I've managed to continue with a professional playing career, and even to advance myself into a DMA program at a large University. I suppose that faith and hope has kept me from losing sight of my goals.

But don't take my word for it. Keep your teeth if you can! I just know that playing is mostly a mental game, and through real concentration, I've had less and less problem worrying about my mouth.

Nothing like a good forum to spill your guts over.

If anyone wants to know about these Invisalign braces, send me a message and I'd be glad to talk to you about it.

JC.
hardbopper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys I just didn't want to ruin my embochure[chet baker] I might go ahead and have it pulled. I have a gig in three days any suggestions on pain killers the topical stuff numbs my lips,
Blumood

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear of the dental problems....I'm facing some myself...sooner than I'd like.
What I'd like to point out -- and I'm sure you know -- Chet Baker's dental problems were probably more severe than any of us will ever face. Lets hope none of us get our teeth knocked out. Lesson learned: Watch you you mess with!
But as far as his embouchure being "ruined," while it may not have been the same as it was in the early days -- nobody's is, faces change with age -- he still produced some mighty good work. Check a few of the later titles such as the 'Live in Tokyo" recording. Not the playing on "Let's Get Lost," the Bruce Weber docu-thing. Many -- including some associated with this docu-thing, would have us believe that this was Chet's last hurrah. Ain't so. He did a bunch of stuff after this, many of which lacked the chemical stimulus so evident on the docu-thing. And they are really good.
I'd love to be able to have that tone and ability, but I ain't willing to have a thug knock out the front "toofies" for it! Not today, anyway.

Best to all,

Blumood
vivace
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCTrumpet,

just curious, did either of your grandparents have the same problem with the baby tooth. The same thing happened to one of my pre-molars. My grandmother still had (she has false teeth now) a baby tooth.
Cozy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in college, I went thru some similar issues. My profs sent me to see an orthodontist who worked with musicians. These guys are few and far between. Not sure if you are near a large metro area. If you can track down such a person near you, it would be worthwhile. The typical dentist is not going to appreciate the needs of wind players.
Take care of your teeth, but keep the tooth if you can.

Cozy
http://www.cozychops.com

[ This Message was edited by: Cozy on 2002-03-03 02:33 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Cozy on 2002-03-03 11:24 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mistrad37

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miles was worried once about John Coltrane getting a tooth removed. He was worried that if trane got the tooth removed that he would not be able to play two notes at the same time anymore. To Miles' amazement, trane got the tooth removed and played like a "mofo" that night. Miles was very relieved to say the least.
OCTA-C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
OCTA-C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a chance to read this message. And I seriously hope it's not too late!
HARDBOPPER, please, get that tooth taken care of immediately!
An abcessed tooth means that there is an infection at the nerve or nerve root of the tooth. This could be due to a cavity that got too large and wasn't filled properly, or could have been from some sort of bacterial infection that got in through the gums. When a tooth has gotten to the point of severe pain, it means that it has hit a critical stage! The infection, if not treated, can spread throughout the gum and affect the other teeth. I have even seen accounts of oral abcesses traveling to the brain and turning into brain abcesses!!! This is no joke! It happens more than you think! Please, please get this taken care of as soon as possible!

"May the good sound be yours!"

"Always remember to blow into the proper end of the horn!"-circa. 1900 (Harry Gardoon)
hardbopper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my tooth fixed today. Thanks for the responces! The dentist was a former John phillip Soussa award recipitant, and was carefull with my chops. Thanks for the warning octa-c.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: