• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trim kits

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpcyms1993
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Trim kits Reply with quote

So I want to get a trim kit for my horn. And ive looked at a few different ones.

Mainly the Harrelson and the Curry XX caps trim kits.

Anyone have opinions on these? The harrelson one is the more expensive of the two but it claims to enhance the trumpets playability and i think the curry ones are just for looks and whatever enhancements heavy weight caps are supposed to add.

Just curious on the opinions of people who might have used them.

I mainly want them for looks honestly. the finger buttons and caps on my horn are kind of worn out looking.
Harrelson SWE trim kit
Monette BL2S3 XLT Prana
Monette B6S1 STC 1 Prana
Monette 6
Elfeyy

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Curry XX caps on my bach 37. I do enjoy them quite a bit. My horn slots better (which I like) and speaks better playing quietly and in lower registers.

Chances are if you get any curry caps it will effect how your horn plays. I do believe they make caps that aren't supposed to add any extra weight if you don't want to effect how the horn plays too much. Keep in mind adding bottom caps can extend the height of the horn which could possible make your trumpet not fit in it's intended case
-------------------------------------------
kidtwist
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a trim kit from Pickett Brass that I sold a few months ago. The build quality and fitment was amazing but I DID NOT like the way the horn responded when the kit was on. It felt the horn lost much of it's flexibility, quick response, and life in the sound.

I play a Bach 72LT, so the lighter weight of the horn may have disagreed with the trim parts. A standard or heavy weight horn might respond very different but I don't have any experience with that setup.

If you're determined to get a full kit, check out Pickett Brass. I was REALLY impressed with their quality.

WCU '03

Selmer K-Mod-24B-LT
King Silver Flair - 1960s Vintage
Carolbrass CTR-4440L-YST-Bb-S
Carolbrass CTR-4000H-YSS-C
Kanstul 1523
Yamaha 631 Flugel
Bach 3C, 10C, & Warburton 5 Mouthpieces
deleted_user_fdb91a0

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more weight you add or remove, the more you depart from the way the horn was designed to behave. I have a single Curry CCap and O-ring on the third valve of my Schilke S32. I won't do anything more to it, because I don't claim to know better than Renold Schilke, with regard to how his horn should play.
Pascalsjazz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone here know a relatively cheap way to get a heavy trim kit for an Olds Ambassador 74'/73'/72'?
Thanks
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pascalsjazz wrote:
Does anyone here know a relatively cheap way to get a heavy trim kit for an Olds Ambassador 74'/73'/72'?
Thanks

For what it's worth, I just tried a bottom cap from my Ambassador cornet on my Getzen Severinsen. It fits. The thread count is the same but the Olds cap is slightly larger in diameter.

Upon further testing I found that the Olds bottom caps are interchangeable with the bottom caps on my XO 1600i -- same thread and diameter. You could try XO heavy bottom caps.

If you really must experiment with adding weight you can always add a brass washer to the bottom caps or put a neoprene o-ring around the threaded end of the cylinder.

I don't know about the Ambassador trumpet but the cornet is heavy enough that you shouldn't need to add more weight.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP: if you want it for appearances, as you said, ok. However.....

I’ve experimented with these too, but have always eventually gone back to the original equipment. It’s fairly harmless (except for whatever the cost might be), but as others have said, adding mass where the horn wasn’t designed to have it might very well affect how the horn responds in ways you don’t especially like. And if you’re messing around with top caps and buttons, you might also be messing around with your valve alignment.....probably not good.

If your original caps are worn looking, what about just replacing them with original equipment? Unless you have an older horn that you can’t find parts for, you might be better off.

Brad
Nathan G

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if KGU brass' trim kits are good?
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Bach heavy cap on the third valve of my Bach. The Bach heavies are not that heavy but I have found that more weight makes the horn harder to play. I’d shy away from very heavy caps.

The KGUs are very nicely made but I think they can be quite heavy and, depending on what you are searching for, may look quite cool, but may make the trumpet harder to play. Try before you buy …
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Nathan G

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean when you say hard to play? What if it get mediums or even lights
Getzen Tone Balanced Super Deluxe
Unbranded Cornet
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried heavy caps on all three valves and found the instrument is harder to get to speak. So, while power play is not a problem, playing softly is not so easy with three heavy caps on. I tried both Bach and B&S (which are slightly heavier than Bach, I think) and got the same result.

As I have never tried the KGU, just seen them, I can’t say what happens with the medium or lightweight. You’d have to weigh your current caps and then compare the weight to those of the KGU.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Nathan G

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thank you for the info. My caps are 72g and the lights are 110 and the mediums are 170
Unbranded Cornet
Nathan G

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I forgot to ask. For anyone who has a KGU brass trim kit in raw brass does it tarnish and turn ugly like a unlacquard instrument will?
Unbranded Cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: