• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stamp 3, Lip Bends and the Chin

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhodf

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Stamp 3, Lip Bends and the Chin Reply with quote

As I have started implementing some of the Stamp exercises into my routine, I have noticed that my chin muscles get a real workout, specifically, the muscle that goes from the center of my lower lip down the center of my chin. Both Stamp 3 and lip bends really seem to give this muscle a workout. I am wondering if through my old lazy habits of letting my corners get loose and letting my chops blow out and not stay focused has resulted in the chin muscles getting weaker. I am hopeful that as I keep working on these concepts (focused airstream and solid corners), the muscles will strengthen and my endurance will improve.

Has anyone else, who is new to Stamp, experienced this? Is this an indication that I am doing these exercises correctly or that I am doing something wrong?
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't presume to say whether you're doing it right or wrong, but I'll share my experience. I'm a reasonably serious amateur player.

The only part of the basic Stamp routine that ever made me feel tired was lip buzzing, which I abandoned pretty quickly. One of the ways I use Stamp 3 (and variations) is to rebalance when I've overdone things; once I've done that, my biggest problem usually is that I want to play more! It knocks a lot of tension out of my sound, and I usually feel better as well.

As for lip bends, that's how I start my playing day! (Not, however, the ones in the Stamp book.) Once I really figured them out they also helped me relax and take a lot of tension out of my embouchure.

You best bet is to find someone knowledgeable about the approach and let them hear you play.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: