• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Modeling Rafael Mendez

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maccluer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject: Modeling Rafael Mendez Reply with quote

There persists a myth that the true geniuses somehow were born with a unique talent that somehow developed independently and totally originally of those who preceded them. In reality the truth is quite different. The great innovators first put forth thousands of hours studying and imitating the great masters that came before them before developing their own individual styles.

The last few years I have taken on a new trumpet model: Rafael Méndez. The legendary Mexican trumpeter was rightly called “The Heifetz of the trumpet”. I am modeling many aspects of Méndez’s playing and personality, including his incredible breath control, the best articulation ever by a trumpeter, the wild abandon and total lack of fear with which he played virtuosic passages, and last but not least the soulful expressionism and generous phrasing which expresses deep emotional content in his playing.

What can we model about Mendez?

1) Méndez began practicing first thing in the morning. This is very effective because our minds are the freshest and most clear in the morning. So if your playing is the most important thing you want to work on, do it first. For me that first thing every morning is yoga, but the second thing is the beginning of my trumpet day- some mouthpiece buzzing- and then I am off an practicing in my first hour of every morning.

2) Méndez frequently recorded himself.Recording oneself is absolutely essential for correct self diagnosis as it gives one a “third ear” to listen to oneself without being distracted by the act of having to play also.. I learned the benefit of this by recording myself every week for the Charlier Challenge. Self recording (especially video) hurts the ego a little, but is the best way of truly seeing what need the most work in order to organize and prioritize practice going forward.

3) Méndez used the play-rest-play-rest technique, with many short breaks.Rest is crucial for the mind and the body, and play-rest-play-rest is much more effective than a long block of playing.

4) Méndez worked towards unconscious mastery. If you have to use your conscious mind to remember what you want to do, there will be no way you can think about your pitch, rhythm, phrasing, articulation, dynamics, ensemble, etc all at the same time during a performance. Only by

5) Méndez insisted he wasn’t just a genius but that he simply practiced better harder than the others. Show me a great master and I will show you someone who will repeat this sentiment in one way or another. There is no shortcut to mastery, it’s hard work.

Read more and watch some videos at http://joshuamaccluer.com/the-essential-role-of-modeling-for-mastery-and-rafael-mendez/
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joshua,

An excellent post. There are so many things you can model from true masters in any area of endeavor. I am sure you have heard about Mendez being able to double tongue so well. It was because as a child he was so slow single tonguing.

Thanks for the post.

Mike
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great post.
Mendez was known for hours of hard work everyday. When you consider the horrific injury he had to overcome, his achievements are even more astonishing.
I believe he was the greatest trumpeter to ever put a horn to his lips. There are still only a handful today who can be compared with him.
R. Tomasek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: