• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Post 2014 ITG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> ITG Conferences
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Post 2014 ITG Reply with quote

There may have been other ITG wrap-up posts but here's my take. I've been to so many ITG conferences I can't remember them all. I've enjoyed all of them. But I think this was, for me, one of the best. I mentioned that fact to the board members as I happened upon them. It was also nice to have everything under one roof, although some of the spaces were challenging to find at first.

The participants were world class as one would expect. As a mere mortal, it was awesome to find yourself in the elevator, or in a hallway/room with one of a number of trumpet gods. In fact, they were literally everywhere. There were many new, first time performers at this year's conference, something that was good to see. Some of the standout acts for me included the following:

Tine Thing Helseth, who has a trumpet sound that will make you melt. Everything about her performance was a picture of perfection.

Sadly, the jazz competition attracted only a small audience. All three were amazing. But, for me, the standout was Mao Sone (one of Tiger Okoshi's Berklee students). What an amazing talent this 22 year old is. This guy has it all, including that illusive quality known as 'entertainer'. Like I said, this guy has it all. We'll be hearing from him again.

The Luis Gonzalez recital, Spanish Portraits, was another outstanding program. Trust me, here's yet another guy who is in total control of his instrument.

Marquis Hill, the recent winner of Carmine Caruso competition. Wow! What a fantastic post bop player he is. His playing range consisted mostly from low C to top line A above the staff. He needed no high notes. Great jazz ideas, fantastic technique, perfect time, great sound, all in one package. This one was another small audience. Too bad for them.

Trombamania. This was one serious trumpet quintet. I'm 71 years old and I've heard a lot of trumpet players. This was one of the most amazing displays of super chops I've ever witnessed. This was a 1 and 1/2 hour program of incredibly difficult and demanding trumpet ensemble music played to absolute perfection by this French ensemble. It has to be heard and seen to be believed. Toward the end they toped off their program with a little ditty of Bach's called Toccata and Fugue in D Minor. After their last notes of the evening I had the feeling that they could pretty much easily play their program again. Everything just seemed so effortless for them.

Sean Jones. Two words. Absolutely killin;.

Unfortunately, I had to leave early Saturday, so missed some programs that I regret not being able to attend. Again, great conference. If you've never been to one of these it will blow your mind.

Oh, and the vendors were awesome too. There were more vendors than I can recall in past years. As usual with these gatherings, I came away a little poorer financially.

My one disappointment: I've been a huge fan of John Swana for years. I've got all his recordings. Until this conference I've never had a chance to hear him in person. Finally, it's going to happen, I say to myself. Nope! He's there to play alright, but not the trumpet. Bummer! Maybe another day.

Larry
Ktmusic316

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea man! ITG 2014 was amazing.
4 Valve Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
Custom Bach Stradivarius 43
Schilke P5-4

Monette B2S3 Prana, C2S3
Dennis Wick 4FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> ITG Conferences All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: