• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Question about how to study BE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shinoda

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Question about how to study BE Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I just finished reading the BE book and decided to give it a try. First I'd like to share my experience as a trumpet student: I am a self-taught student and I tried what I call my normal embouchure with flat chin and also TCE. With my normal embouchure I have been studying Claude Gordon's Physical Approach. Since I'm new to trumpet playing and I am the kind of person who believes that all methods and embouchure are valid, I decided to try different embouchures until I find the one that suits me better.

Here's my question:

I can do the first 3 Roll-Out exercises, the LC and LCS and still learning the first RI exercise.

All these exercises can be done in less than 30 minutes. After that should I practice something else like Arban's, Clarke and lip slurs or am I done for the day ?

If I can practice other material, should I use my normal embouchure or the roll-in lips ?

PS: I'm asking this because I'm used to practice 2 to 3 hours daily.

Thank you.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answers to all of these questions are in the BE book,

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kehaulani is correct, but I'll answer anyway.

RI and RO exercise the extremes. You don't play music with either of these setups (unless you are making a direct change, which is most often not recommended). Rather, RI and RO are designed to influence your regular setup to some degree over time.

So, the material you practice in addition to BE is played normally, without the emphasis of an extreme lip position.

Quote:
Since I'm new to trumpet playing and I am the kind of person who believes that all methods and embouchure are valid, I decided to try different embouchures until I find the one that suits me better.

That's an interesting mixture of things, to say the least. While I can agree that all methods have some degree of validity, I wonder if you (as a beginner) have a large enough frame of reference to actually know what suits you.

It's not like trying out a mouthpiece. Embouchures are a complex combination of discovery and development. Even in the best of circumstances, and following a single method over months or years, you will likely have ups and downs that will cause you to wonder at times if you have chosen the right path.

For example, stretching the lips back, or lowering the mouthpiece position, can both yield higher notes in the short term. But, both are fool's gold. So my point is, you can fool yourself very easily into thinking that you are going down a good path, when you are in fact limiting your future.

I appreciate your sense of adventure. Too many players lack that entirely. Just consider the idea that you can also become lost in the maze if you don't eventually stick to one approach.

Best of luck!

Jeff
Shinoda

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciated your reply, Jeff; as well as kehaulani's.

I've read the book 3 times in one week and each time I understand more. As you said Jeff, I should keep my normal embouchure for the extra material, which is a flat chin kind of embouchure. Is that ok ?

I also want to say that I can play other exercises with RI. However, my tone is not as good as with flat chin.

Since I'm a beginner and don't have a teacher I use my own judgment to find the one embouchure that suits me better. And I agree with what you said.

I think impatience is the number one enemy of us, trumpeters. I've tried other embouchures and methods and BE is the one that I'm enjoing the best and having the most best results in the last year.

I'll stick with it.

Thank you, guys.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, I am not using RI or RO to play anything other than those specific exercises as instructed to do in the book. The exaggeration of the motion in those exercises transfers to increased motion when I play with my regular embouchure. The RI and RO specific embouchures do not exist outside of the BE book; however, the concepts are functioning in very minute ways during my normal playing. As I ascend, my lips roll in minutely; as I descend, my lips roll out minutely. This is how the "indirect" method works for me. All of this combines to improve my flexibility. The test for me, to see if I am "balanced," is to play from low G to high C and back down. If I can do this smoothly, with no gaps in the sound - especially as I descend below the staff - I know that things are working pretty well for me.

Again, this is what works for me, but that's what great about BE!

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Shinoda

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, Matt.

So I guess the type of embouchure we use regularly is not so important (outside BE book). But I would like to ask you if you play with flat chin or if it's ok to use this embouchure.
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinoda, don't get too caught up in how the chin looks. My comments on the chin were largely a counter-measure to the influence of teachers, especially band directors, who force their students to flatten their chins as beginners. Not every band director does this, of course, but the number that do is disturbing.

All flat chin looks are not equal. The one I don't like is the extremely downward pointed chin which coincides with mouth corners that stretch back while ascending, like in a grimace. That one is a dead end, in my opinion. And yet, I've observed band directors mistakenly interpret Farkas and teach this very thing.

Jeff
Shinoda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, Jeff.

Sometimes I tend to analyse things too much.

Now, just an update of this topic:

I've been studying BE for 3 weeks and read the book five times. I can now answer my first question on this post.

I'm very happy the way I'm progressing on trumpet using BE. My resistance got better, my range increased by a perfect fifth and now I can see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks to Jeff and everybody that helped me on this forum.
Shinoda

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

I would like to ask you, or anyone else here, something about lip slurs:

When doing lip slurs from books like C. Colin, Irons or Arban's, should I make the "Snap" ?

How should I approach these type of exercises from books other than the BE book ?

Thank you.
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The snap is a technique to aid in your development in doing the ALS. If you feel the snap helps you in other types of slurs, then do it.

ALS is designed to be the easiest and most effective way to learn to slur, even easier than Earl Irons. And exaggerated snaps are appropriate. For more complex slurs, like in some of the Colin exercises, developing fluidity is more important.

It's a balance.

Jeff
Shinoda

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, Jeff.

I find the ALS 1 to 5, which are the ones I am studying at the moment, easier than any other type of slurs even the Irons material, like you mentioned.

Before I started BE I could not slur from C third space to E fourth space. After one or two weeks studying BE, I could slur from E fourth space to G. But now that slur is not easy as before. I was studying Colin's lip slurs, but realized this book is too advanced for me, so I decided to stick with a easier method, like Irons and the Vizzutti's lip slurs on his book 1.

I will try making the snaps on these slurs and see what happens.

Thanks.
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to get some big leaps and slur past many partials at once try these two things.

1-Set your lips for the upper note. Let's say a G above the staff.

2-kick your abs inward as you go from a low note like low c or even 2 octaves below at the low G under the staff as you slur up to the higher note.

Get that down and you'll be amazed at the results.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: