• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpieces and RO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valerie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Mouthpieces and RO Reply with quote

I have an oldy-moldy Conn trumpet with a Bach 7 mouthpiece. I can execute all the RO and RI exercises on this instrument & mpc. In August I agreed to keep a Bach Strad for a young man while he's out of state for a couple years. It has two mouthpieces, a Yamaha 11B4 and a Schilke 14A4a. I can't do a RO on the Schilke or the Yamaha, but can on the Bach 7. What's with that, trumpet guys?
Brass_Of_All_Trades
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Mouthpieces and RO Reply with quote

Valerie wrote:
I have an oldy-moldy Conn trumpet with a Bach 7 mouthpiece. I can execute all the RO and RI exercises on this instrument & mpc. In August I agreed to keep a Bach Strad for a young man while he's out of state for a couple years. It has two mouthpieces, a Yamaha 11B4 and a Schilke 14A4a. I can't do a RO on the Schilke or the Yamaha, but can on the Bach 7. What's with that, trumpet guys?

The 11B4 and the 14A4a are both shallow mouthpieces which may be causing you to bottom out. The Bach 7 is fairly deep which is probably why you can roll out on that but not the other ones.
fox
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe this has more to do with the rim. The 14a4a has a wide, flat rim that can limit movement. Probably true with the 11 too.
Valerie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. At first when I tried RO on this newer trumpet, I thought it was because I hadn't been playing trumpet much lately. I thought I'd lost the touch. But when I tried it with the Bach 7, I knew it had to be a mouthpiece issue. I don't teach a lot of trumpeters, but in the future, when I see them struggling like mad with RO as I've seen a couple times in the past, I might let them try my Bach 7 mpc to see if that helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: