• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Carol Brass Quality--Not So Good?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jojocat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Show me a flugel that plays in tune
You might say it is bad build quality, but then, the proof is in the pudding.
Could be a mouthpiece issue also maybe?

Sorry no, it wasn't a mp issue, it was a really bothering to seriously lip up some notes again and again.

I want to avoid to advertise some other brands, but there's some flugelhorns that without playing perfectly in tune , have a very satisfying intonation.

I just wanted to say my horn wasn't that good. Don't want to say Carol Brass is crap. Just understand : OK, they also make so-so horns sometimes, just like any other brand. Until that experience, I had the perception Carol Brass was too good to be true. I was right, in a way...

Martin Committee trumpet
Yamaha 6335H
Yamaha 6320
Accent 781
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Carol Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
Brent wrote:
The issues/concerns regarding Carol horns have also brought brought up with just about every other company that mass produces horns. I bought a Carol several months ago via Ebay, and as far as I can see, it's one of the best built horns I've ever had. The valves are on par with Getzens, in terms of smoothness and reliability.

Wish I could say the same thing for the Kanstul horns I've had.

I have played a number of horns from both Carol Brass and Getzen. Getzen valves are MUCH better. Long-term reliability of Carol Brass valves is unknown, if only because the horns have been introduced not that long ago.

i would have to agree with the last statement. i have a carol cornet and the build quality is excellent. how long the valves last is to be determined. an expensive instrument purchase is a different matter and there has to be a track record. that's why monel is quite acceptable, yes, you can do better but monel has a long track record, and it's quality material. supposedly carol sells valve blocks to boutique makers. maybe everything is a/o/k. if not, it all comes out in the wash.
there's a lot of excitement in stainless steel valved trumpets whereas boring is a workable state of affairs. good luck to many if they don't work out.
MacMichael
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mentioned before, Carol Brass valves surely have to stand the test of time,
even if they are no new kids on the block any longer.

Regarding the CB flugel: Never tried one, but admittedly it does not sound like a good idea to so...
brianj
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I would think it's fair comment to say that most manufacturers have a bad horn or two every now and again. Though I must say that the Carols I have tried have been very good, and a player I really trust who has tried many more than me really rated them.

The problem I find with these threads is always the same - why the heck would you buy a hooter that has suspect intonation?? The thing is, you try it, find out if you like it or not, then you buy it.....or not. And if you're very lucky and have a good rapport with the shop you're buying from you can try it in the setting you intend to use it to see if it fits in.

To buy a hooter with dodgy intonation - I just don't understand it! Of all the faults that are easy enough to detect before you put down the cash - intonation is one of the easiest.

all the best

brian jones
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one has the proper quality control steps it should be possible to avoid the occasional dog. An inspection camera for the internal solder blobs, a detail person to inspect the fit and finish, a professional to play the instrument and check the tuning and tone.

i suspect that the shops that let a dog out either have employees who are disillusioned or simply don't want to take the financial hit on their bottom line to refit the instrument.

Another thing to keep in mind is that one's favorite mouthpiece might not fit the same in the new instrument you are trying.
fredo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CB flugel is perfectly in tune after 10 minutes of warm up.

The leadpipe and the combination with the mouthpiece seems to make a big difference.

I use the biggest of the two provided, with a Wedge trumpet shank and my Wedge flugel top.

Homebilly said in a recent topic on a Martin Committee :

"yes, well with slots wider than the grand canyon you can imagine.
that is what was the pain in my butt while playing at f and above
"

That can be also a part of the intonation problems that some of us had with this flugelhorn because the slots are very wide, the constancy of fabrication quality of the CB horns seems for me to be one of the best in the industry.
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summation of my experience with Carolbrass:

My Carol C trumpet (4000H I think):
- My teacher, a local pro, playtested against his Bach. He plays C for nearly everything. Does a lot of quintet work, musicals, etc. He said it plays more in tune than his horn, and would be recommending it to his students that ask about C's. He wouldn't buy one, because he's enamored with my friend's gold plated Bach Strad C, which is one of the finest horns I've ever played.
- Let some sectionmates playtest before a rehearsal last week against a C another sectionmate was considering buying. Both of them loved it, and thought it played better than nearly any C they had played. Both of these guys are very serious players.
- No one's every complained about my sound/intonation/anything when I've been playing it. I frequently use it in jazz bands because I hate soloing in the key of G Concert on my Bb.
- It took some time before my valves really started feeling good. I cleaned out the horn, then started a daily regiment of valve-oiling and Clarke studies on it. The valves got better, and I got better at scales.

Carol 7000 Series at Chicago Trumpet Hang:
- I don't recall the specific model, but this is one of the few (out of like a hundred) horns that stuck out for me that day. I straight-up sounded like Maynard on it. Played in tune, easy blow, mechanically solid, very unique open sound. Excellent trumpet.

Carol Student Models:
- The music store I worked at for a while started carrying these. These student models feel like pro horns. Solid intonation. Mechanically solid third valve slides. Only complaint: valves take a while to break in. I played one while teaching lessons for a few weeks. Had to oil them daily. After a couple of weeks they seemed to be "broken in" and didn't require the maintenance. I had a similar experience with my C trumpet.

Carol Intermediate Models:
- The store got a few of these in as well. I generally found their playing characteristics to be indistinguishable from the student models. A few came with rounded tuning slides; their intonation didn't seem to be as good as with the D-shape slides.

Carol Pro Models:
- The store got a few of these in as well. They came with some pretty unique configurations. Nothing too out there, but more out-of-the-box than your average Bach Strad. Both of the pro horns I tried were large bores. They came with rounded and D-shaped slides. They weren't my cup of tea, but still great playing horns, and barely into the 4 digit price range (even with this particular stores generous markup).

General:
I demo'd a few Carol student model horns for band teachers in the area. All of them were skeptical, and a few dismissed them out-of-hand. One had brought her Bach strad with her to playtest against. In a blind test where I played and she listened, she picked the Carol over her Bach strad, a pro model Conn, and a student model Getzen every time (usually it was Carol/Getzen/Bach/Conn). When we switched the test and she played, it was the same order; she liked the Carol best. Inexplicably, she still recommended all of her students rent Bach trumpets. This particular teacher is also notable for hating Getzen horns (which ticks me off, because I think the Getzen student models are some of the finest around). It just goes to show you how firmly people stick to their biases, even when confronted with evidence to the contrary. Not that I would really have considered any of these people to be "serious players." Most of them have band director chops so bad they couldn't distinguish between a 3C and a 14a4a (slight exaggeration).
I still prefer Yamaha student model horns, but I find the Carols to be close approximations with a nicer price tag. I don't recommend them to students who give me the impression that they won't take care of their stuff, because of the "high maintenance valves" in newer horns.

Gottfried Reiche wrote:
You get what you pay for.

There's a reason why nobody of any repute plays them.

Patently false. Being somewhat disreputable myself, I won't count myself as evidence to the contrary, but there are plenty of pros playing them, and more every day.

Mike Sailors wrote:

All this is is another "worship WT" thread.

True.

Lead Piece: Custom PickettBrass
Jazz Piece: Custom Curry TC
Legit Piece: Yamaha Shew Jazz (18 Drill)
jojocat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The problem I find with these threads is always the same - why the heck would you buy a hooter that has suspect intonation?? The thing is, you try it, find out if you like it or not, then you buy it.....or not. And if you're very lucky and have a good rapport with the shop you're buying from you can try it in the setting you intend to use it to see if it fits in.

To buy a hooter with dodgy intonation - I just don't understand it! Of all the faults that are easy enough to detect before you put down the cash - intonation is one of the easiest.

I will explain you how easy it is to buy a horn with a bad intonation:

1. Live in a country, state, province etc....with a poor brass band tradition, which means a small market for brass instruments dealers....which means few shops, few choice and few opportunities to try before buy.

2. Have an e-Bay account and a valid credit card.

There is only one serious brass dealer in Quebec, and they sell 1. Yamaha 2. Bach 3. Conn

Martin Committee trumpet
Yamaha 6335H
Yamaha 6320
Accent 781
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok stupid question in a stupid thread: the ACB doubler's flugel we've heard so much about; is it made by Carol Brass?
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is actually a good question, and you may want to ask Trent Austin directly. I do not see how ACB horns could be made by Carol Brass given that Carol Brass is made in Taiwan and ACB is made in PRC.
brianj
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jojocat wrote:
Quote:

I will explain you how easy it is to buy a horn with a bad intonation:

1. Live in a country, state, province etc....with a poor brass band tradition, which means a small market for brass instruments dealers....which means few shops, few choice and few opportunities to try before buy.

2. Have an e-Bay account and a valid credit card.

There is only one serious brass dealer in Quebec, and they sell 1. Yamaha 2. Bach 3. Conn

Hi

I live on a rock to the north of mainland Scotland. To get to the Wind Section in Edinburgh it takes a 2 hour ferry journey then drive 300 miles.

To get to London to Phil Parkers its' the same ferry journey + 800 mile drive, and the same to Trevor Jones in Bristol. The distance is fractionally less to Eclipse and Andy Taylor. But when it comes to hooter it's worth it not to buy a dog. Also now after having dealt with these folk they would send me stuff on approval with me paying to post it back if I didn't like it of course.

all the best

brian jones
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered my Carol 5000-YLT sight-unseen based on a pro's ( who I take skype lessons with) recommendation. I was not disappointed! The 3rd valve was a little sticky initially, but that cleared up with cleaning & a little polish. It had been a demo horn, so who knows how much the valves had been broken in.
Nearly 2 years later, I'm still happy with it, sound & intonation are great. I've tried other horns since, but haven't found anything better- just different- and I'd have to spend a lot more money.

A sample of one doesn't mean much, whether you think they're poor quality or great. Positive on-line reports from players seem to greatly outnumber negative ones. It's a fair question whether they'll hold up long term, since they're fairly new on the market.
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per my signature, I have several CarolBrass horns...two XL bore Bb Trumpets, a Pocket Bb trumpet, a Cornet, and a Flugelhorn. I haven't had any issues with the valves on any of the horns...every one came out of the case working better than any horn I've ever had in the past with the exception of Getzen, and in my experience, they are on equal par with the Getzen valves I've had in the past as well as the Getzen made Canadian Brass CB10 I still own.

I also haven't had any serious intonation problems with any of the horns. All of my horns were bought at different times, months or years apart. Build quality has not been an issue on any of them, with the exception of some lacquer on one of the horns (the CTR-5204). My newest CarolBrass horn (my primary Bb trumpet) is 2 years old, and my older horns are up to 4 1/2 - 5 years old, including the Flugelhorn. No issues with the valves on any of the five. I certainly can't speak for every horn they make, but my experience has been excellent overall...
P. Mauriat PMT-75 (Ti/Copper)
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....
cshuetva
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
"Then there was the Carol Brass flugel that just wouldn't play in tune. Not just for me, but for others as well. I dismissed this one too as just a bad horn."

This is a common problem, and Carolbrass can't be blamed in particular because, many manufacturer's flugelhorns suck. The great designs were French, and some Americans have gone on successfully from there. (Olds, Kanstul, Bach's later models)

People don't think it's an instrument to be taken seriously, but for a lot of jazz playing, it's the thing.

I would agree with part of your reply, but what the OP is stating I agree with. I had purchased a Carol Brass Flugelhorn five years ago to test it out...I returned the piece of s... one week later after playing it everyday and letting some others play it which all came to the same conclusion I had made WITHOUT me telling them any of my thoughts until after they told me their conclusions.

The tuning issues are much different from other flugelhorns and completely unbearable as basic notes like the middle staff C plays off from the rest of the scale and completely uneven.

Real piece of s...

I would not recommend Carol brass flugelhorn to anyone even beginners. Sure the h... would not use it on any type of gig.

After returning it, the piece of s... "North American CB Distributor" got so pissed off at me and scolded me claiming there was nothing wrong with the flugelhorn's intonation wise and he had several "professional" level players test it out as well.

All I can say is... buy at your own risk... you have been warned.

For the same price range or even lower price...get an excellent condition yamaha flugelhorn...even the beginner Yamaha flugel model (around $300) will play better intonation wise.

I personally play the YFH8315G but I have owned the yfh631G, yfhh731, yfh6310z which all play phenomenal.

A good used yfh631 or yfh731 is a few hundred dollars less (should sell between $750-$900) than a used Carol Brass flugel and will blow the Cb flugelhorn away with no comparison.

A good used yfh6310z should around $1,000.

The yfh8315g (between $1,500-$1,700) plays very ease with superb intonation and a solid warm core. For fluffy lovers, the yfh8310z bobby shew model is perfect for that.

I have also owned a couple of Kanstul flugelhorns which are also great for the price (depending on the model $700 up to $1,800). I particularly liked the Chicago model but all the kanstul flugels are very nice and a better option.

Last edited by cshuetva on Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:42 am; edited 10 times in total
cshuetva
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Carol Brass Quality--Not So Good? Reply with quote

INTJ wrote:
However, Flip's enhancement gave a detailed look "under the hood," and here is what he found. The horn is advertised as a .453 bore, yet Flip found tubing sizes of .452, .453, and .454.5. In the valve casings, the ports were not consistently sized, varying from .460 to .463. This made the valve alignment a compromise, both vertically and radially. The ports really should have been the same as the bore size, and they certainly shouldn't have varied by three thousandths.

I noticed the same thing when I purchased a Carol Brass C valve block to try out and use on a custom build C trumpet since many high priced custom builders use their valve blocks.

The ports were all off, but i think it is common for a manufacturer that spits s... out to have these inconsistencies.

The valves felt and worked great, and the C trumpet played fine, but I would note recommend buying there stuff due to the inconsistencies for the price paid.

The valve block and pistons were also very dirty...they were ultrasonicly cleaned twice prior to assembly and still needed to be cleaned daily for 30 days straight with the white 100% cotton cloth turning completely black each time. It was still really black after that, but I just gave up on cleaning them.

Using a bach stradivarius block, kanstul or a more economical getzen block would be a much better option for custom builds.
OldEmo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their valves have a very tight fit but still do work pretty well right out of the box. I think that's a sign of precision, not of quality problems. I own three CB instruments and none ever had sticking valves. They did blacken the cleaning cloth for quite some time, though, until the piston surface became shiny in most places but again they were not sticking at all. It's true that there was lots of dirt stuck in there at first, but then again I've seen that with other brands as well.

In comparision, the highly touted Bauerfeind valves on my Adaci trumpet (also stainless steel, like CB) were sticky for half a year no matter what oil I used. They work just great now, but getting there was a chore.

@fredo: thanks for the hint about the CB flugel with the Wedge MPC on trumpet shank. I have a Wedge FLX flugel top and just tried this, plays much easier with the trumpet shank indeed.
Martin Standard Cornet
cshuetva
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldEmo wrote:
Their valves have a very tight fit but still do work pretty well right out of the box. I think that's a sign of precision, not of quality problems. I own three CB instruments and none ever had sticking valves. They did blacken the cleaning cloth for quite some time, though, until the piston surface became shiny in most places but again they were not sticking at all. It's true that there was lots of dirt stuck in there at first, but then again I've seen that with other brands as well.

I guess I am just not accustomed to the stainless steel values yet, but even for new horns and blocks, they are very dirty in comparison to other brands.

I am guessing Carol Brass takes the special orders like just a valve block and slaps them together and ships them right out off the assembly line with no prep work to clean them out.

Still over priced and not up to par in my opinnion.
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the opportunity to test several Carol Brass trumpets over the past few weeks. All of them played fine - not great where they blew me away. The valves on all of them were very good without any issues. I liked the balanced model the best. For the price they are a good value. Especially considering the price of horns today. As far as valves go I have owned and played a lot of Kanstul's. I have always found that they have a longer break in period than some other horns like yamahas.

I know that the Bach Artisan horns have been discussed as well. I played a couple of them at the Selmer booth at a trumpet festival a few years ago right after they came out. I was not overly impressed with them. However, I played a couple recently at a store that were very good.

Mike
trumpaholic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have owned 4 Carol Brass trumpets including the Balanced Model which I have listed here on the trumpet herald. NEVER EVER experienced any valve issues other than normal break-in which one gets with most new trumpets.

Mechanics on all 4 were excellent right out of the box with my only complaint of the durability of the lacquer which is not good at all.
trumpethead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every CarolBrass horn I've owned and played are/were fantastic, even the student model. Intonation, valves, performance; all excellent.

I sincerely believe that at their price-point, I wonder why anyone would consider paying more.

If they were priced akin to other brands, then of course the choice would be much more difficult, as there are plenty of great horns around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: