• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Any news on the new larger bore Callet?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markchuvala
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Any news on the new larger bore Callet? Reply with quote

Hey Kyle,
Any news on the new larger bore Callet you were talking about? I think you said it was going to be called a NY Soloist
thanks
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The New York Soloist is now in final testing phase. A small batch is in production now and will go to a number of our trusted pro players. If they are similarly as enthusiastic as Jerry with the new design then we should have inventory available this December. I'll update this forum as final info becomes available.

Bell = time tested Callet Jazz mandrel in Sima's special heavy weight brass
Leadpipe = new reverse design, Callet exclusive for NY Soloist
Bore = non-conical .460
Receiver = same as Sima, but in new .460 design
3rd valve throw = Callet reverse as on Sima for increased focus
Bracing = specially placed for fastest and most consistent response
1st valve throw = omitted for best possible intonation
Water keys = 2 Amados
Finishes = choice of silver plate or Callet's special gold lacquer
Expected price = apx $2850

Best to all, Kyle
markchuvala
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great horns...just too heavy for my taste. Wish Jerry built a horn with the sparkle of a Schilke or Benge.

They are loud for sure, just don't have that zing I like
rpoutan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle, will the Soloist also be built by Kanstul for Callet? Will the bell have a larger diameter and different taper than the Sima? Same .022" thickness? Is the only option for the bell material yellow brass? Brushed lacquer finish available? Will it be more open and darker than the Sima? Will there be other options for the water keys such as Saturn, Pollard, or lever style? Include a case?
tptguy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the NY Soloist will be hand built by Kanstul to Callet's exclusive design. Important to know, this horn shares no features with any other Kanstul produced trumpet apart from the features shared with the Callet SIMA.

Though in a brass exclusive to Callet, the bell is drawn from the exact same mandrel as the Callet Jazz and the Sima. Bell thickness is the same as SIMA. Jerry is emphatic in his preference for this bell as it is the most in-tune bell he has ever tested, and it does not change timbre regardless of register - from deep pedals to triple high C.

In keeping with Jerry's extensive testing, the horn will not be offered with any braze-on options. Braces, water keys, slides, etc were tested for most focused and in tune sound possible. And the only finishes offered will be silver plate or our specially cured dark gold lacquer. Comes without case or mouthpiece so you can continue to use your current preferences.

From my initial testing, the NY Soloist is even more powerful than the already exemplary SIMA. And, it's even easier to play - in all registers. But in fairness, I've only been able to test the next-to-last prototype. After initial feedback from other pros, Jerry made an additional adjustment to the leadpipe that I have not yet had the pleasure to try. But, I'm sure looking forward to final version. I hope to have my sample within a couple weeks.

Best to all, Kyle
tptguy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure Jerry is not going to design a Benge or Schilke style option. He is of the belief that a single horn, if designed best possible, should work equally well for every genre - lead to combo, chamber, and symphonic.

FWIW - Jerry believes that the 'zing' that some players look for is actually distortion in the sound. He calls it 'grating'. In his mind, grating can add to short term excitement. But it's not suited to anything other than lead, essentially lead over electronics with artificially added distortion. And it's tiring to the ear in short order. In keeping with his all-purpose design, he actually designed a special brass to prevent that edge, that grate, in Callet horns.

Best regards, Kyle
rpoutan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle, thanks for the update and keep them coming. I'm looking forward to trying the NY Soloist at the ITG Conf. If it has a darker and broader sound than the Sima, and plays more open, then I'll be interested.

Last edited by rpoutan on Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:04 am; edited 2 times in total
Maui_Jimmy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love playing my Sima! I can't imagine something "better". Just saying...
tptguy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played my SIMA in an R&B/blues review this past Thursday. Room was very big. My SIMA and I were the only ones not amplified. And I sure didn't need to be!

- Kyle
markchuvala
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you are playing with an amplified band...mixed with speakers etc...kinda dumb not to give the horns mics. The blend will be terrible and not balanced or mixed. It happens a lot just poor audio tech involved there.

Second a bright/brilliant sound is what has been used on a zillion recordings, and in countless bands using schilkes and Benges. Are they all wrong or using incorrect hardware?? According to the record producers and listeners, and paychecks...I guess not

Again I have played and loved Jerry's horns, just wish they were brighter... I am not saying there is anything wrong..or "distorted" about any trumpet sound.

To say that more highs in a frequency is wrong baffles my mind.
markchuvala
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And is there any audio or video of anybody playing deep pedals to tru=iple high Cs on Jerry's horns?? Love to hear that...
nini
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

which means we can hope to see a SLB in the very near future? I still do love my old SLB more then any other model, and am truly looking forward to the next step!!! God bless Mr. Callet for what he is doing for us.
tptguy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<< a bright/brilliant sound is what has been used on a zillion recordings .... Are they all wrong>>

Very sorry, I must have missed the discussion where someone argued otherwise. Mark, please post the quote stating a contrary view so we can follow along.

FWIW, in my experience Jerome is the preeminent, if not exclusive pedagogue preaching a brilliant sound for trumpets. Personally, I never heard anyone emphasize it until Jerry. I'm familiar with a lot of Chicago School discussions, for example, that suggest embouchure development should follow 'the sound in your head'. But, I've never run across a description of what that sound should be. So, I end up hearing more of the out-of-focus and out-of-tune sounds that are, unfortunately, in students' heads. Jerry is, for me, the first teacher that has accurately described 'the sound'. And without fail, it has always emphasized the adjective 'brilliant'.

Bright, however, I've found more problematic. Some people use the term in a positive manner. But many use it pejoratively to describe a sound that is either harsh, i.e. grating, or on the verge. For me, brilliant is a helpful term. For me, 'bright' is sketchy. Others, perhaps, find both terms helpful.

Best, Kyle
trumpetplanet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to second that sentiment. I struggled a lot over the years with finding what I "should" sound like and Jerome's teachings have really helped to put that to bed.
tptguy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have more update info on the new Callet New York Soloist Bb trumpet. A small batch arrived after Jerry confirmed the final design. But as he played them, Jerry realized that something was wrong. The new edition did not center, focus, or sound quite like his final prototype. Jerry sent me pictures and both he and I noticed that the tuning slide brace differed from the intended design. Kanstul quickly made the correction and sent Jerry new slides. True to both Jerry's and my ears, the correction to this small mistake made all the difference. The new slides were sent to our pro testers and they agreed, the results dialed in the horn as hoped. We now have a small batch of the corrected horns ready to ship. It's amazing, but even the smallest change does make a major difference! Both Jerry and our testers are on the same page - the New York Soloist is is very, very special. And it's now ready to go! This weekend, we will be sending emails to our established Callet customers. More stock is expected shortly so we will be able to ship to everyone that has been anxiously awaiting this newest leap forward in trumpet design. For any questions, please email me at info@CalletTrumpets.com

Best to all, Kyle

http://www.callettrumpets.com/search_results.asp?txtsearchParamTxt=new+york&txtsearchParamCat=ALL&btnSearch.x=0&btnSearch.y=0&txtsearchParamType=ALL&iLevel=1&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch
tptguy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies to all of you who have PM'ed for more updates on the new New York Soloist. I wanted to have full info before posting additional notes.

First, I would like to thank Kanstul for their expertise and patience as we fine-tuned the final product. They very promptly drew and resoldered new leadpipes and braces as needed. Without their assistance, we could not have perfected the horn nearly as quickly.

Thankfully, the new design is now finished. All pre-orders have been shipped. And, we now have good stock for everyone patiently waiting for the final version.

Jerry is overwhelmingly pleased with this latest model. And here is some feedback from other initial testers:

Tony Perruso, NJ - trumpet soloist with Bon Jovi, Max Weinberg, and Lorenza Ponce: "The most powerful sound ever, and very easy to play!"

John Liddle - one of Toronto's most prominent concert band soloists and conductors: "The other trumpet players have been amazed with the power and beauty of the new Soloist."

Quentin Ware, Nashville - with BB King, formerly with James Brown and Ray Charles: "Beautiful sound, super power and projection."

Tony and John were formerly playing Callet Sima trumpets. And Quentin was playing a 30 year old original Callet Soloist. All three have now changed exclusively to the New York Soloist. To be fair, Dan Falcone, one of Las Vegas' top players, continues to prefer the SIMA, though only by a small margin. He has been so pleased with the Sima that he bought two. As an extremely efficient player, the smaller bore still works best for Dan. But for our other pro testers, the response to the new horn has been overwhelmingly positive. Everyone except Dan has made the switch. And Jerry has also switched exclusively to the New York Soloist.

What about me? I still don't have mine! It's back at Kanstul for the final upgrades and I should have it back in the next week or two. Can't wait!

We'll have our website updated within the next few days for secure ordering. And I'm available via email to help with with any additional thoughts or questions.

Thank you all, Kyle
sales@CalletTrumpets.com
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="tptguy"]My apologies to all of you who have PM'ed for more updates on the new New York Soloist. I wanted to have full info before posting additional notes.

First, I would like to thank Kanstul for their expertise and patience as we fine-tuned the final product. They very promptly drew and resoldered new leadpipes and braces as needed. Without their assistance, we could not have perfected the horn nearly as quickly.

Thankfully, the new design is now finished. All pre-orders have been shipped. And, we now have good stock for everyone patiently waiting for the final version.

Jerry is overwhelmingly pleased with this latest model. And here is some feedback from other initial testers:

Tony Perruso, NJ - trumpet soloist with Bon Jovi, Max Weinberg, and Lorenza Ponce: "The most powerful sound ever, and very easy to play!"

John Liddle - one of Toronto's most prominent concert band soloists and conductors: "The other trumpet players have been amazed with the power and beauty of the new Soloist."

Quentin Ware, Nashville - with BB King, formerly with James Brown and Ray Charles: "Beautiful sound, super power and projection."

Tony and John were formerly playing Callet Sima trumpets. And Quentin was playing a 30 year old original Callet Soloist. All three have now changed exclusively to the New York Soloist. To be fair, Dan Falcone, one of Las Vegas' top players, continues to prefer the SIMA, though only by a small margin. He has been so pleased with the Sima that he bought two. As an extremely efficient player, the smaller bore still works best for Dan. But for our other pro testers, the response to the new horn has been overwhelmingly positive. Everyone except Dan has made the switch. And Jerry has also switched exclusively to the New York Soloist.

What about me? I still don't have mine! It's back at Kanstul for the final upgrades and I should have it back in the next week or two. Can't wait!

We'll have our website updated within the next few days for secure ordering. And I'm available via email to help with with any additional thoughts or questions.

Thank you all, Kyle
sales@CalletTrumpets.com[/quote

Any pictures, videos, sound clips, spec's, stc?
1948 Holton Model 48
markchuvala
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ I wouldn't wait to hear a sound clip. For years now guys on the forum have asked for a video, sound clip...anything to hear what all the hype is about but... no such luck

Jerry's horns are all great, powerful for sure. I'd be curious to play one of the new ones. And I'd love a sima....about 1/3 or more lighter in weight.
tptguy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Callet website has now been updated with most of the most important information, initial pics, and specs. I will, however, add more pictures and feedback as time allows.

http://www.callettrumpets.com/

*update your browser if you aren't seeing new info

Let me know of any thoughts or questions.
sales@CalletTrumpets.com

Best to all,
Kyle

PS - Price is $3199.99. But we are offering a special of just $2850 for everyone that owns a previous Callet model. And, we'll include a free Superchops mouthpiece of your choice. Just let us know. Silver plate in good stock now, immediate ship. Gold lacquer is low, but more on their way. Genuine gold plate is available (add $1000); allow apx 2 additional weeks for ship.
fox
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markchuvala wrote:
And I'd love a sima....about 1/3 or more lighter in weight.

That's why I like the Kanstul 1000. Probably not quite a Callet design, but Jerome, with his ties to Benge & Zig, would approve I think. If I do end up visiting NY in the near future I would love to A/B the 1000 with the new Soloist. I used to own a Jazz. Can I still get the special price?

Oh yeah, Kyle... Still waiting for you to send that Stratosphere out to me for a nice long trial .

Doug
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: