• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet Cozy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nelehjr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Trumpet Cozy Reply with quote

So, I'm kind of a poor girl and my old trumpet looks like a traveler's trumpet...Which I suppose once you drive all around the US and Canada playing for tips instruments will get like that. BUT! I get kind of insecure about the way my trumpet looks since it's so...Abused All the dents generally have cool stories behind them but the peeling lacquer is something I get sick of looking at and I heard it's like $600 to fix so I'd rather betray Precious and buy a new trumpet! But I'm poor and into crocheting... So I was thinking of making a trumpet cozy to be just completely absurd. Is there a way I can adhere it too the bell without hurting the poor trumpet anymore? Or should I be punched in the face for such trumpet related blasphemy?
trmptz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strip the lacquer and remove the dents.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cherish the dents. Chet Baker did. Tom Harrell does. I do.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jiarby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a guy last year that was making something like that out of foam or lycra for the DCI crowd... to protect their horns from getting set on the ground.

Make it flat and stitch some velcro so you can wrap it around. Look at bell manufacturing videos so you can see the shape you need. tapered with a bell flare. It may affect the sound.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jiarby wrote:
There was a guy last year that was making something like that out of foam or lycra for the DCI crowd... to protect their horns from getting set on the ground.

Make it flat and stitch some velcro so you can wrap it around. Look at bell manufacturing videos so you can see the shape you need. tapered with a bell flare. It may affect the sound.

I would just look at the bell of your trumpet rather than looking at manufacturing videos. I am not sure what additional information could be derived from the videos. Maybe to see a potential pattern based on the initial piece of metal used for a bell?

But that assumes one isn't making a tube, which is what I would do.

If you put elastic around the end that goes over the bell you could stretch it to go over the bell. You could anchor it on something else on the other end.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

http://www.rosetti.co.uk/Brands/Warmahorn

These may be an option, but I am not sure of the price and availability in the US.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trmptz wrote:
Strip the lacquer and remove the dents.

This,.......and after that be a bit more careful. Sure, lots of traveling and playing increases the chance of horn damage, but being at least somewhat careful will cut that way down. I think the O.P.'s keyword is "abused." I do not travel all over the country with my horn, but I play at least one gig every weekend (sometimes in rather questionable establishments!), and use my horns daily in teaching private lessons and trumpet classes and none of my horns have one dent in them.....although I realize, it can happen even if you are careful.

Kind of reminds me of a student I taught last year. During a lesson, he said that his parents were planning on getting him a new horn, in part because "....this one is getting dents in it....", as though dents just spontaneously occur.
And don't forget, while there is disagreement on this, a dent in just the wrong place can have a drastic effect on how the horn plays, it's not only cosmetic.

Brad
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crochet in a couple of bands of elastic. Come down to Steamboat next week and we can do duets on a street corner down by Light's big plastic horse. Your horn should look right at home...
nelehjr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Thanks guys! Finch, I think I'm going to try to buy a warm horn from Amazon. That is just too cool! I know old trumpets are supposed to look all cool and artsie and whatnot but...I just don't feel it sometimes. That poor cornet though! ghelbig what'd you do? XD I DO NOT trust myself not to dent it up anymore if I got all that work done... Craig Swartz I'd l♥ve to jam someday! Haha! Thanks all!
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Kind of reminds me of a student I taught last year. During a lesson, he said that his parents were planning on getting him a new horn, in part because "....this one is getting dents in it....", as though dents just spontaneously occur.

Times change. If I had told my parents that I needed a new horn because I had dented up my current one, they would have said something like "Are you crazy? Why should we buy a new one if you can't take care of the one you have now?"
nelehjr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Just what I was thinking! But by the same turn I was considering buying a new one just for show...Or a pocket trumpet I could keep in my purse to be ridiculous with!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
Brad361 wrote:

Times change. If I had told my parents that I needed a new horn because I had dented up my current one, they would have said something like "Are you crazy? Why should we buy a new one if you can't take care of the one you have now?"

I agree 100%, my parents would have said the same thing. But when I was a kid, my horn would not have gotten into that kind of condition because I knew my parents would kill me. I teach private lessons in middle school and high school, and I realize that even if a kid is very careful with his instrument, when another kid is not, it can cause problems.

My brother went to college with the son of a pretty well known trumpet player. He said that once during a jazz band rehearsal, this kid out of frustration when he kept screwing up a part had a temper tantrum and literally threw his horn to the floor,....... knowing that dad or granddad (another very recognizable name) would either fix it or simply buy him a new one. If that had been my kid, he would've been playing that bent up horn until he got to college and bought a new one himself.

Brad
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nelehjr wrote:
Ha! Just what I was thinking! But by the same turn I was considering buying a new one just for show...Or a pocket trumpet I could keep in my purse to be ridiculous with!

Or maybe an even better solution: get a decent case, and / or try to be a bit careful?

(No disrespect intended here, by the way).

Brad
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
But when I was a kid, my horn would not have gotten into that kind of condition because I knew my parents would kill me.

Yeah, the cornet I got new after my first year playing still looked pretty much brand new when I graduated from High School, despite playing it for hours every day. Not a dent or a scratch on it.

I left it at home when I went off to college but still had a trumpet with me that I had used for marching band. My folks loaned that cornet to my cousins to play in school band. After that, it looked about like ghelbig's picture upthread. It was a wonderful playing horn too.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nelehjr wrote:
Wow. Thanks guys! Finch, I think I'm going to try to buy a warm horn from Amazon.

Hi

I prefer Lou or Louise rather than Finch, which is my surname, but never mind.

I'm not sure what the warmahorn does to the tone, may very well deaden it, but it is another option for what you are considering.

Take Care

Lou

That is just too cool! I know old trumpets are supposed to look all cool and artsie and whatnot but...I just don't feel it sometimes. That poor cornet though! ghelbig what'd you do? XD I DO NOT trust myself not to dent it up anymore if I got all that work done... Craig Swartz I'd l♥ve to jam someday! Haha! Thanks all!

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Trumpet Cozy Reply with quote

nelehjr wrote:
All the dents generally have cool stories behind them but the peeling lacquer is something I get sick of looking at.

Why not just get some brass polish and make the bare brass shiny? Then you can look at the horn without having a meltdown. repost every couple of weeks and you are good to go. Must be cheaper than a new trumpet, and easier than having a crotchet tea cosy on your axe...

cheers

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: