• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

BE and endurance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valerie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: BE and endurance Reply with quote

BE is amazing. I've hardly touched my horn for 4 weeks. Sunday, I played off & on for about 2 hours before I began to lose tone. Yesterday, same thing happened. This is all due to BE.
Axiantor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: BE is great Reply with quote

Finding BE was the best thing that happened to me while studing trumpet. I start to years ago and had a lot of problems as i'm studing by myself with no teacher.

Since i start with BE i notice great improvements on tone and and also sluring. Still a question remains as after the focused warm up my chops get tired and i feel i have no endurance. My question is is this suposed to happened or should i combine BE with some other endurance approach.

Thanks

www.healthnmoney.com
Axiantor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Any help? Reply with quote

Any help here please?
Am i doing something wrong?

www.healthnmoney.com
MaryAnn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't BE-specific but if you are wearing out too quickly I'd make the assumption that your chop tension - to - air ratio is a bit heavy on the chop tension. Experiment on a single note and go the full range of "most chop tension possible with least air possible" to get the note, all the way to "least chop tension possible with most air possible" and see if what you are doing is optimal.
I had to develop a new embouchure in the last few years in which I had to stop using some of the muscles in my upper lip. I found out that I didn't need nearly the chop tension I was using, and my endurance went WAY up. But it took a while...
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Still a question remains as after the focused warm up my chops get tired and i feel i have no endurance.

Perhaps you are simply tired and you need to rest for a bit?

If, in your focused warmup, you are doing more than you are ready for, you will need to rest. You haven't told us your routine, so I am only guessing.

Plus, many players do the RI and RO exercises at different times of the day, and not in one routine. You have to use common sense here.

Jeff
Valerie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes endurance issues have less to do with technique and more to do with overall health. Allergies, medications, etc. can cause lip swelling which will dramatically reduce endurance. See this: http://beforhorn.blogspot.com/2011/05/lip-swelling-embouchure-performance.html
villagestudio11

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information here.
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie wrote:
Sometimes endurance issues have less to do with technique and more to do with overall health. Allergies, medications, etc. can cause lip swelling which will dramatically reduce endurance. See this: http://beforhorn.blogspot.com/2011/05/lip-swelling-embouchure-performance.html

I am diabetic and tire easily. I have been told by a couple of teachers that my lack of endurance could be a result a metabolic difficulties ie. diabetes
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brass playing is mentally and physically challenging. Perhaps one of the most interesting aspects of Jeff's method is that he focuses on the whole body in his book, a holistic approach, not just playing trumpet. A lot of players (and teachers) overlook the importance of wellness.

IMO - Don
Bluesy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: BE is great Reply with quote

Axiantor wrote:
Finding BE was the best thing that happened to me while studing trumpet. I start to years ago and had a lot of problems as i'm studing by myself with no teacher.

Since i start with BE i notice great improvements on tone and and also sluring. Still a question remains as after the focused warm up my chops get tired and i feel i have no endurance. My question is is this suposed to happened or should i combine BE with some other endurance approach.

Thanks

Nothing is "supposed to happen". Sounds like you need to do lots of long tones. Long tones are the oldest, most-successful never-failing aid for endurance problems in brass playing - indeed, in playing any wind instrument.
They also help with tone if you listen and try to improve while you play - and vital capacity, air flow, keeping an open throat, and getting your playing in tune. They are nothing short of magic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: