• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

BE newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
txtrumpetguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:09 am    Post subject: BE newbie Reply with quote

Hi All,

I just started working the BE exercises at the beginning of the month and wanted to join this community for support and info. Jeff has already been overly kind to me with his patience answering my many questions and I don't want to "wear out my welcome" so to speak. I'm looking forward to seeing some progress in my playing using the exercises. While I am still frustrated with the roll in exercises, I am hoping that with enough diligence they will improve. I simply cannot get a sound out with my lips rolled in all the way so I am starting with just a slight roll in.

Cheers!
AndrewS
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For more that 10 years of practicing BE, my RI was coming and going.
But regardless of RI clarity of tone (and ease of playing RI), my normal playing range kept increasing.
My thinking is that the RI exercise itself counts more than the way it sounds.
It's just a way to show the lips how to roll in (what muscles to activate) during blowing so that eventually they start to apply the concept during normal playing.
Try not squeeze your lips too tight, let the air escape more freely while keeping lips rolled in. Eventually the hiss will become a tone.

Andrew
txtrumpetguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was finally able to get the roll ins working and am now working on my control of them, which is constantly improving. I was a bit too tight, I added slightly more mouthpiece pressure to make sure I had a seal, and made sure my airflow was steady and strong. Those things helped me finally get a note out. Thanks for the advice!
phoenixtrpt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question about RO#1 exercise page 67.

Do I play the notes in the regular octave with the same bottom lip extended embouchure as I use for the pedal tone (pictured on page 63) or do I use a normal embouchure for the normal range then adjust to the pedal embouchure for the pedal tone?

Thanks for the response.
txtrumpetguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normal embouchure. You'll learn to connect the two embouchures in RO 3.
phoenixtrpt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: