• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I just get a hiss

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atom_anderson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately I have been having a difficult time getting notes below C (below the staff) to come out. If I start on a high C and work my way down, by the time I get to a low C or below my lips somehow switch to a very open, rolled out setting. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Is there an exercise I should focus on to overcome this problem?

Thanks!

-Atom
mcamilleri
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, everyone must be on holiday ...

If you are having trouble with the low C and below when you play, as an exercise, from high C down, then stop doing that exercise - you are only training yourself how NOT to do it. An open, rolled out setting is not what you want. A closed, rolled out setting (ala double pedals) would get those notes out.

You need to keep doing both the roll-out exercises, and roll-in #2, if you have got that far in the BE book. If you have got further in the book, Roll outs #3 and #4 work through this range.

If this is only a recent problem, then your embouchure is changing, and you should be encouraged, not worried, by what is happening. In time things will work out as you keep doing BE. By my definition, it only becomes a 'problem' when it persists for a month or so.

Michael
atom_anderson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,

Thanks for your reply. This is a recent problem. I think the problem was that I wasn't doing the roll out exercises every practice and things were changing. Over the last week, I've spent more time with the roll outs and the problem seems to be going away.

-Atom
mcamilleri
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the 'problem' is just going away all by itself. This is what generally happens with BE - something changes, and a 'problem' pops up - you just keep doing BE and it resolves itself in a short time. The main thing is to keep doing the BE exercises. Glad to see you are making progress.

Michael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: