• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What has happened to my range?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsthompson91

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: What has happened to my range? Reply with quote

When I first started playing trumpet I did when my school band didn't have a director. I was older so I decided that I could teach myself. Soon after a year I had a 1C mouthpiece, the only one I had, and I could play a double high C everyday. Btw I do mean the C above high C. I really have no idea how I was able to do this but recently my range has fallen terribly. I can barely play anything above an E above the staff. Usually I can play F to G once a day for a brief moment. About two weeks ago I was messing around and got a G above double high C. I thought my range was back but within the next couple of days I was back in the same situation. I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas how to fix this or what I might be doing wrong. Thanks in advance!
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you still on 1C? If yes, try to do what you used to when you had the double C range. If not, go back to your old 1C and do as you used to.
dsthompson91

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I'm still on the 1c. I'm not sure what I'm doing different. I feel as if I'm doing the same. I think maybe I was going too fast and wanted a big full high range and tried to push to much which might have resulted in a change in my playing now.
Glord1894

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LMaUTc964k

One thing Vince Penzarella said in this video that really stuck with me is that students will accomplish something, then immediately get in trouble because they start trying to imitate the "feeling" rather than what got them there. In other words they start trying to imitate the effect, not the cause. There's not much anyone can really say without seeing you play. It could be anything, excessive tension, poor airflow/support, poor breathing (which usually causes excessive tension). The best thing I can tell you is that consistent playing requires consistent practice. Stay true to what got you there in the first place
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved this non-BE post to high range forum.

Jeff
dsthompson91

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks trumpetteacher1! I wasn't sure how it got put on BE and in new so I'm not sure how to change it. But thanks again!
mcdearborn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is quite the feat! Is the 1C you are using standard? I mean is the throat bored out or anything?
dsthompson91

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I'm not exactly sure what you mean by bored out. Do you mean like have I messed with the bore?
dsthompson91

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But to answer your question it's a standard Bach 1c. I haven't messed with it at all.
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ability to hit 1 DHC is a setting. People can learn to do it in an hour. Some accidentally do it.

The strength to play 100 a day is developed over a long time. The skill to control it takes even longer.

If you were playing them but hadn't built the strength to maintain them, then you likely got really stiff. The stiffness will cause the loss of an octave or more of range easily.

Relax the facial muscles so that the lips vibrate freely and you will play your high notes again. But you need to increase the strength so that the face doesn't stay tense from playing those notes.
7,000 pages of free music. Trumpet Books, Skype Lessons: www.BbTrumpet.com
chedges

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great information. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: