• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

John Ware

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalinTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject: John Ware Reply with quote

Mr. Ware passed away on March 20. I'm really starting to feel old because so many of my heros are passing on: Clark Terry, Lou Soloff, Ray Crisara, Wilmer Wise...

Mr. Ware used to come to Mannes to teach every Friday and would sit in the lobby and chat between lessons. He was an incredible gentleman. He and Jimmy Smith played thousands of concerts together and it was great to see their mutual admiration. I heard Mr. Ware play live many, many times. I believe his Posthorn solo is still the benchmark of which all others are measured. Check out the Young Peoples Concert of the NY Philharmonic playing Shostakovich 9 and you'll see what I mean.

LCM
tubbs831
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very unfortunate news....I have heard some radio broadcasts featuring him on principal trumpet during the 70s. An excellent trumpet player!

I am also not positive but I am pretty sure he plays trumpet 3 on the Sinopoli Poem of Ecstasy NY Philharmonic recording. The 3 high Cs at the end of the piece are huge!

R.I.P.
alexwill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a guestbook at this link, if you'd like to sign it.
http://www.legacy.com/guestbook/DignityMemorial/guestbook.aspx?n=john-ware&pid=174452612

In Memory of John Rosswork Ware
July 30, 1922 - March 20, 2015
Obituary

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=John-Ware&lc=4712&pid=174452612&mid=6371597

WARE, John Rosswork, passed away on March 20, 2015. Born in Ambler, Pa., he was the second of six sons born to Ethel and Willis Ware. He attended the Juilliard School of Music in New York City but left after one semester to enlist in the U.S. Army after hearing of the attack on Pearl Harbor, while attending a Giants/Dodgers game at the Polo grounds. He was a member of the Army Band of the 36th Combat Engineers Regiment, which later became the Band of the 7th Army and was a member of the Greatest Generation. Over the next three years, he participated in campaigns in Africa, Sicily, France and Germany.

After returning from the war he resumed his studies at the Juilliard School, where he also met his future wife, Frances Wilbur, who was also a student and member of the Juilliard Orchestra. Upon graduation, he was a member of the Buffalo, .NY. Symphony and the Dallas Symphony. In 1948 he became a member of the New York Philharmonic Orchestra, where he was named by Leonard Bernstein to be co-principal trumpet, a position he held for the next 40 years. He resided in Teaneck, N..J., where he and his wife raised their two children, John Steven and Donna Louise. Upon retirement, he relocated to White Stone, Va., where he continued playing trumpet in church and in a local amateur symphony. He and Frances then relocated to Richmond to be near their daughter and grandchildren.

He is survived by his wife, Frances; daughter and son- in-law, Donna and Jim Zocco; and his brothers Stanley and Curtis Ware; and son, John Steven. He will also be greatly missed by his grandchildren, Kristin Zocco Goldman, Stephanie Zocco Cowardin and James Ware Zocco; as well as his eight great-grandchildren.

There will be a service 11 a.m. Thursday, March 26 at the Huguenot Chapel, Woody Funeral Home, 1020 Huguenot Rd., Midlothian, Va. Interment will be private in the Virginia Veteran Cemetery at Amelia. The family suggests in lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to Kilmarnock United Methodist Church, 89 E. Church St., P.O. Box 2095, Kilmarnock, Va. or the CrossOver Healthcare Ministry, Richmond, Va. Online condolences may be made at www.woodyfuneralhome
trumpetmba

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Ware was my teacher for many years. I heard him play hundreds of concerts and rehearsals and he was and will always be my hero. Every day that I when I practice there are notes he wrote in many of my books so I am reminded of him daily. I will always be greatful for him and will miss him terribly.

Rick White
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember attending a NY Phil concert back when Gerard Schwarz was Principal Trumpet. Schwarz was playing the Haydn that night, so Ware handled the Principal trumpet chores for the other work on the program, Mahler's 1st. I enjoyed the Haydn, but when I heard Ware play the Mahler, OMG, what an amazing sound! I actually enjoyed that more than the Haydn (no insult to Schwarz who was incredible).
MalinTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomba51 wrote:
I remember attending a NY Phil concert back when Gerard Schwarz was Principal Trumpet. Schwarz was playing the Haydn that night, so Ware handled the Principal trumpet chores for the other work on the program, Mahler's 1st. I enjoyed the Haydn, but when I heard Ware play the Mahler, OMG, what an amazing sound! I actually enjoyed that more than the Haydn (no insult to Schwarz who was incredible).

And I remember a concert where Gerry played the Haydn and Mr. Ware played principal in Mahler Sym#9.

LCM
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my good friends also retired from a career as a school band director to White Stone VA and played trumpet with John Ware at many church and local community events over the years. It really demonstrates a love of music when someone continues to play in modest events after an entire career at the top of the profession. I never met John Ware, but I sure liked and respected hearing that he had that attitude. RIP.
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalinTrumpet wrote:
tomba51 wrote:

And I remember a concert where Gerry played the Haydn and Mr. Ware played principal in Mahler Sym#9.

LCM

Larry, I might have mis-remembered, now that you mention it, it was probably Mahler 9. Thanks for refreshing my memory.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Ware, trumpet solo, Shostakovich 9 at 9:10, with NY Phil, Bernstein

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=999JlKfnXHA

another one at 10:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0cVZDbQ_Bc

Last edited by Irving on Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
MalinTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[LCM[/quote]

Larry, I might have mis-remembered, now that you mention it, it was probably Mahler 9. Thanks for refreshing my memory.[/quote]

No Sweat.

The last tiime I saw Mr. Ware was at an ITG conference. He was wearing 2 hearing aids. He said it was from sitting close to the snare drum for all those years.

LCM
Pat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been tickled by the story that William Vacchiano, upon hearing John Ware play after Ware had been rejected by the Curtis Institute for the 2nd time, reportedly said, "If there is a better trumpet player in Philadelphia, tell them to send him down to New York and I'll kiss his #*!# in Macy's window!"
darndt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat wrote:
I've always been tickled by the story that William Vacchiano, upon hearing John Ware play after Ware had been rejected by the Curtis Institute for the 2nd time, reportedly said, "If there is a better trumpet player in Philadelphia, tell them to send him down to New York and I'll kiss his #*!# in Macy's window!"

This is a fantastic quote. Do you know what year(s) Ware auditioned at Curtis?

http://www.3rdValve.net
trumpetmba

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would have been around 1939-1941.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irving wrote:
John Ware, trumpet solo, Shostakovich 9 at 9:10, with NY Phil, Bernstein

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=999JlKfnXHA

another one at 10:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0cVZDbQ_Bc

Man, what brilliant trumpet playing by John Ware! Truly inspiring!

On a side note, did any of you notice that there were no women in the NY Phil in this 1966 video?! Merely an observation...but definitely peculiar to my eye as a trumpeter from a different generation.
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orin O'Brien joined the bass section of the NY Phil in 1966. She was the first woman member of the NY Phil.
Maid of the Mist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Great John Ware Recording Reply with quote

When I was a student in the 70's, it was common understanding among aspiring orchestal trumpeters that John Ware really was "The Man". If one doubts this, listen to the old Columbia Masterworks recording of Bernstein conducting Symphonic Dances from West Side Story. A friend from NY assured me that it was in fact Johnny Ware playing 1st trumpet. The playing is as characteristic, powerful and exciting as any great dance band lead trumpeter.
tubbs831
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Great John Ware Recording Reply with quote

Maid of the Mist wrote:
When I was a student in the 70's, it was common understanding among aspiring orchestal trumpeters that John Ware really was "The Man". If one doubts this, listen to the old Columbia Masterworks recording of Bernstein conducting Symphonic Dances from West Side Story. A friend from NY assured me that it was in fact Johnny Ware playing 1st trumpet. The playing is as characteristic, powerful and exciting as any great dance band lead trumpeter.

Very interesting. This whole video is great but if you can only check out one spot, listen to the run up to the high D around 15:30:

Link

Same tour, different performance, and he nails it again:

Link
Maid of the Mist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Ware Reply with quote

That's the idea. Wait til you hear him play West Side Story.
trumpetmba

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a tour concert of West Side Story,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crUTelGJ-ao

Piccolo Trumpet on the Mambo solo.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like Schwarz was playing lst on this WSS concert, on the Mambo, as you can see him playing a C trumpet and watch his fingering. Then John Ware can be seen playing a Bb on "Be Cool". Then he switches to piccolo. Fine playing by both of them!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: