• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Audacity vs Wavelab vs Tracktion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
x9ret
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Audacity vs Wavelab vs Tracktion Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

So I've got to grips with Audacity. I like it but sometimes I just don't trust it. I've had to learn the hard way the things to do to get it to work for me.

On my PC there are also two other programs: Wavelab and Tracktion, due to my purchases of mixer and microphone.

Is it worth bothering to learn how to use these?

As a final question, if you want a step up from Audacity... what paid program would be a good investment? (I mean, I used to use musescore and one day upgraded to a sibelius... I've never looked back...)
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Reaper:
www.reaper.fm
horntooter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audacity isn't bad. I worked in a studio that used it before. If you've got the money, Ableton Live is nice. The cheapest is $99 I believe but it limits you to 16 tracks. The next lowest price goes to $450. You can play with their free trial though to know whether you like it first.

I've heard good things about Reaper but haven't used it. For personal use, $60 seems fair. For commercial use it costs $225.

I know nothing about Wavelab or Tracktion. If it came with equipment, I'm sure it's an upgrade from Audacity that would normally cost something like the above programs. I'd recommend using those first. Find one that jumps out at you and stick to it. They are all very similar in the end, but just have different workflows that appeal to different people.

Your DAW is very much not going to make or break a recording. Learn what you have well and stick to it.
x9ret
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously recommend Reaper; thanks for suggesting it. It has an external editor feature, which means you can still refer your project to Audacity to edit some things if you prefer some Audacity features over Reaper.
Silver3B

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through the TV/Radio Program at San Diego City College. We used Adobe Audition (H2 digital mics to record) to edit the interview actuality's for the radio station Jazz 88 - all jazz station.

http://www.jazz88.org/

Ready worked nice.
keehun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you not trust about Audacity?
horntooter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn something well and stick to it. That is your choice. Most of them offer the same stuff but the workflow might be a little different. That is because some people like to work differently than others. Recording has a bigger affect than your DAW. Mics, mic placement, preamps, room, audio interface, etc. That's a bigger concern than DAW.

Audacity is fine. I've also worked in a studio that used it. Reaper is good, but it isn't free. Do not take advantage of their free download and not pay after the trial period. I've never used the two you mentioned. Garageband is very nice when you learn the workflow. I usually use Garageband now even though I also have Ableton.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: