• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Results

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
weezintrumpeteer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
I'm just wondering, when should I start seeing some results in my range when doing the Systematic Approach? I started lesson 1 the day before Easter. Its not that I'm in a rush to improve my range, I'm just wondering how long it will take.
Thanks
'47 Martin Committee Deluxe #3
'06 Monette B993
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the Gordon philosophy of three strikes and your out, i.e. don't attempt a note more than 3 tries. The only time I personally break this rule on purpose is with Chase Sanborn's Arnie-Ollie routine.

You will improve gradually over time. I personally work on the range extension exercises until I play the top note well 3 days in a row. Then I go up 1/2 step and repeat until I can do that well 3 days in a row.

Progress may seem slow, but it will happen. Go at your own pace and enjoy the efforts of your disciplined approach.
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the process is slow but you will see results I am only on lesson 10 and I have improved so much. My technical skills are so much better and my upper register is stronger then ever and it has become so much easier for me to play in the upper register. My range has gone from High C to High E. and I still have a bunch of more lessons to get threw. SA takes allot of dedication and patience.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Blue Devil
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playing out of the SA book and am on Lesson 8 (with doing each lesson for two weeks like John Mohan recommended). The results are a gradual process - you start to see your endurance, power, range, etc. increase little by little each week. By going through the book spending two weeks on each lesson, there are two years worth of lesson plans provided to you, (just like the book says) systematically building up all of the elements of brass playing.

I agree with trjeam in that it takes a lot of dedication and discipline, otherwise someone would give up after about the first week and a half. If you can find the dedication to see the book through and practice it the way that it was intended, it is well worth the effort, especially when others you play with in a band or ensemble setting start coming up to you complimenting you on the improvements they hear in your playing (not to mention those that you yourself hear).

This really is a very good program - just set your mind to being dedicated to it, and you won't regret it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: