• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tom Sloan Scam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aspeyr1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Tom Sloan Scam Reply with quote

Tom Sloan (sloanjazz@yahoo.com) (tpsn: Tomcat) sold me a defective reunion blues triple case last week.

I am writing this because in his ad, he claimed the case had no scuffs or scratches and was in perfect condition. Upon receiving the case, I noticed two gashes where the leather was completely sliced.

My first instinct was that something happened while shipping and I even sent him a picture. He claimed that was not the issue. Then went on to assure me of what a great deal he gave me and even that it was his birthday.

I told him I was not happy with the sale and asked to send the case back to him for my money back or that he compensate me for the repair.

His answer to this was that the torn leather wasn't that bad and I should be happy with the deal.

I told him I wasn't and that I would send the case back. He has not responded and now he has my money and I have a defective case that was falsely advertised as in perfect condition.

Any idea on what I can do?

I talked to paypal and after he provided shipping confirmation, they dropped the investigation.

All I want is to send the case back and to get my money back. Seems fair.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not unreasonable, IMO. I'm surprised that Paypal wouldn't support you in recieving a defective product or a product other than advertised. I'd keep pursuing.. (sounds like you have proof that he mislead you and sold a damaged item.)

good luck
Retired Air Force Bandsman
trumpaholic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When buying on here from someone I do not know, I always take a picture of the ad as proof of the description so that I could if necessary forward that to make any sort of claim of what was described. Most folks on here are honest and fair to deal with.
aspeyr1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I notified him about the defective product, he pulled the ad and I wasn't able to get a screen shot.

Paypal only needed proof he sent me something (which is a terrible way to handle a dispute claim). They told me they didn't even need the specific URL where the ad was placed...

I can try calling them again. Also, Mr. Sloan is still unresponsive.

Thanks for the suggestions.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aspeyr1 wrote:
After I notified him about the defective product, he pulled the ad and I wasn't able to get a screen shot.

Go to the "History" section of your website, find the exact URL to the ad he pulled, then go to one of the many cashed sites (like http://www.cachedpages.com/), and see if you can find the ad he deleted.

If you used a credit card to pay your PayPal bill, submit a claim to your credit card company.

You have his name, his phone number, and his address. Contact the states attorney in his state and in yours.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
aspeyr1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
aspeyr1 wrote:

Go to the "History" section of your website, find the exact URL to the ad he pulled, then go to one of the many cashed sites (like http://www.cachedpages.com/), and see if you can find the ad he deleted

This is a great suggestion, thanks! I tried with the website you gave me to no avail. I am looking into other similar means.

I did not pay with credit card unfortunately.

The lawyer suggestion is one I also looking into. A lawyer in my state can essentially do nothing. I would have to have a lawyer in his state send him a demand letter, which would probably cost the same as the case.

Thanks for the the many suggestions
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you search through the cache folder for your browser manually, you might be able to at least find the images he placed with the ad.
Fantomas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried contacting the marketplace Admin? It's possible the original ad is backed up somewhere and can be retrieved.
aspeyr1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didn't try that, good idea! As of now, I've had no luck getting the money back. And of course he is not answering my emails.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: