• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Been Away--Like this new forum board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't posted for a while--since I went elk hunting in Oct, now that I think about it.

Anyway, I think this board is where I fit best. I am age 43, and am 2.5 years into a comeback after a 20 year layoff. I've been taking lesson for Pops for a year now, and my improvement has been significant, though I still have a long way to go.

I made a big jump after I returned form my hunting trip. During the 2 week trip, I didn't play much. Yes, I know bull elk in the rut "bugle", but the rut was over..........

When I got back, I was able to nail a F# above High C during a rehearsal for the church prasie band--a personal best. This caused the music minister--himself a trumpet player--to asked me if it was really written that high. He made me take it waaaayyy down.

That was a high point. As I got back to playing my range settled back to the typical "D or E", until I let a set of heavy rehearsals force me back into old habit patterns and I killed my range and endurance. I stumbled through the first performance where I played lead the whole time, and the next day I played three more performances in a mediocre fashion. I was only playing lead on one song after the first performance. I took it very easy the next week, then had the last performance where I did okay.

I am now slowly getting my "A" game back. My problem is when I get tired I lose my set point and then my endurance rapidly goes away. I have another lesson scheduled the end of the month, where we are going to video tape me and see what I do different when I'm fresh and playing high well vs when I'm tired and struggling.

Blaine
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
WUG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of charts is your praise band playing?
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We wind doing some stuff the music minister arranges and a lot of Mark Cole stuff. We usually play a hymn or two as well. We have played stuff like "One Day", "You are Holy", "Shout to the North", "You are Good" (Issac Houghton), "Come Let Us Worship Him" (ends on double F#), "Rock of Ages", etc. For Christmas, we played a bunch of stuff, but especially neat were two orchestra only pieces "Overture of Joy" and "Christmas Fanfare". they were a lot of fun.

Blaine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: