• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Caruso first thing in the day when chops are stiff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vialvest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Caruso first thing in the day when chops are stiff Reply with quote

Hello. I like to start my day with the Six Notes and then an interval exercise, but some days my chops are stiff from the day before and doing Caruso exercises then doesn't feel very productive. Do you just play the calisthenics no matter how your chops feel or do you have different strategies?
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carmine said not to play the calisthenics on tired, swollen or stiff chops. Just go ahead and do your regular warm up. when the chops feel more "normal" you can play your CC calisthenics.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PH wrote:
Carmine said not to play the calisthenics on tired, swollen or stiff chops. Just go ahead and do your regular warm up. when the chops feel more "normal" you can play your CC calisthenics.

You know, there really is a lot of information in the book when read carefully. Same for Jeff Smiley's "The Balanced Embouchure", same for Sigurd Rascher's "Top Tones", which has very little text and everyone wants to get to the "magic bullet" exercises but there are just a few lines, sometimes words, in the introductory material that are the key to it all - easy to miss. I find the Caruso book similar.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know any reason not to play on stiff chops. CC did advise not to play the calisthenics on tired or injured chops.
You might be able to lessen the stiffness on the day after a tough blow by doing a Caruso warm down (which would be playing several low F#s) before packing the horn away after the hard day of playing. Getting the embouchure realigned after a tough blow can work wonders for the next day.

Otherwise, blow through the stiffness.
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Carmine, I never had the issue of tired or injured chops so I can't speak to that. However, if your chops are just stiff from the night before, I really like Carmine's exercises to put them right and set them up for the rest of the day. Now, you probably won't achieve the same results that you usually experience, but these are calisthenics and the goal is to do them and don't worry about how they sound. Also, a liberal dose of low F#s is also advisable.

Alan
trumpetdiva1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, play the low F-sharp several times at the softest dynamic level as a warm-down.

Janell

---
Listen to this sample: Michael Haydn Concerto for Trumpet - II (Allegro) -
http://tinyurl.com/hgzhq23
---
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: