• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Puffed cheeks, help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndrewS
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Puffed cheeks, help! Reply with quote

As my cheeks age with me they tend to puff more than before.
Also they start to hurt at times.
I wonder if there are techniques to hold them back.
Now I am at the point of not being able not to puff anymore.

Thank you,
Andrew
derekthor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try practicing while watching yourself in the mirror. Sometimes, actually seeing what you're physically doing and catching and stopping yourself is enough to break a habit, much like recording yourself and listening back.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puffing happens when you release/relax the muscles that hold the cheeks in place.. the mirror is a good suggestion, holding/touching the cheeks while playing will also help you identify (feel) the area that you need to support.

A definite need to break this habit - facial structural damage will continue to occur = more pain! It won't just go away, you must correct it.

As you're practicing, start easy, maintain unpuffed position, and stop immediately when your cheeks puff out. It is a habit. One that you must break.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
AndrewS
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, guys!
Actually for the last couple of days I've been practicing in front of the mirror watching my cheeks.
Now, backed with you suggestions I'll continue to do so since I already see some improvement! One of those cases when just watching the system you can affect it.
So far, when trying to hold the cheeks I feel some unnecessary embouchure tension, but I hope it'll go away once those new cheek muscles learn how to activate.
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the BE perspective, a cheek puff is neither good nor evil. It is a tool that can be used in moderation, like any other.

In regular playing, you can normally barely see a puff in the BE players who use one. Of course, some players may puff a more noticeable amount and still play well, but they are in the minority.

The goal is balance. If you are overdoing the puff and using it as some kind of crutch, then it will likely be difficult to sustain.

Jeff
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch some videos of Scott Wendholt playing.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
AndrewS
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Jeff, that's what happened to me.
I was overdoing puffing so overtime I was looking more and more like Dizzy.
I know that James Morrison and Arturo (and many more prominent players) puff their cheeks, but it doesn't look grotesque and it works.
In my case I let it run wild for too long, time to trim it down.
AndrewS
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Watch some videos of Scott Wendholt playing

His cheeks look very tame compared to mine
Bert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a bit ambivalent. Being a BE teacher and player for over ten years, I know what good a puff can do. I have a slight puff above high G myself. With my students I rarely say anything about it, but sometimes I see a Dizzy-like puff wih beginners, and I cannot let it go completely. If a student can play a second line G without a puff, that is fine. When a student can only play it with a puff, I usually let it go, but I always ask if he or she can do it without the puff. If so, I steer towards the 'non puff', if not, I let go. I have one student with a Dizzy-style puff who has easy access to the higher register (a 10-year old, two years on the trumpet, and can play G top staff without too much trouble, but with a noticable air pocket in both cheeks). Without the puff, tone suffers and range is limited to a very stuffy C. Maybe he looses the puff later on, maybe not.
I even advised some of my students to use an air pocket to improve. All of the people that I advised to do so, don't have it anymore, but it triggered a better lip position.

FWIW.
AndrewS
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am a bit ambivalent.

Thank you, Bert, for your comment.
I think think the key here is whether it hurts or not.
When it does, the ambivalence goes away.
I am just guessing that for a younger student having cheeks the Dizzy-style wouldn't add any uncomfortable strain or tissue damage.
For an older student (say after 40) it could be a different story.
It it helps with the tone/register and doesn't add any issues it's probably ok to blow like that.
If it starts to hurt, you need to think how to reduce it, there is no other way around it since it causes permanent tissue damage.
Dan O'Donnell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that puffing your cheeks out helps to produce a very calm and mellow tone quality and some pros do this when wanting a note(s) to have that sound during a performance.

I watched videos of Chuck Mangione and it seemed like he did it when playing in the mid to lower register when the piece called for that type of sound such as holding a smooth long note.

Has anyone heard this before or know anything regarding this?

"Praise Him with the sound of the Trumpet:..."
Psalms 150:3
AndrewS
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've heard that puffing your cheeks out helps to produce a very calm and mellow tone quality and some pros do this when wanting a note(s) to have that sound during a performance.

I watched videos of Chuck Mangione and it seemed like he did it when playing in the mid to lower register when the piece called for that type of sound such as holding a smooth long note.

Has anyone heard this before or know anything regarding this?

I guess it depends on the individual as we all achieve different sound effects using whatever works.
As for me, since I started not to puff my cheeks my tone became less mellow, but it will change once the lips get used to a new position and the tone will become mellow again.
Trumpeters also blow cheeks for different reasons like circular breathing, but that in itself doesn't change their tone much since they can control it.
Bert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tone doesn't change if I blow my cheeks or not. Not much difference anyway. Blowing cheeks in the low register looks relaxed, maybe that is why people do it, because it looks relaxed and because it feels relaxed. I don't think it has to sound as relaxed as it does, though.
I can do circular breathing from the time I do BE, because of the puff.
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Watch some videos of Scott Wendholt playing.

Hey Russel, a belated thanks for the recommendation! I only now checked it out. He definitely is an an example of a player creatively using some degree of puff.

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: