• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Proper expectations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FivePointer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Proper expectations Reply with quote

I have started very systematically the Caruso Method now for about 6 weeks. I am doing only one exercise per day, in additional to all the other things I do. But.... thus far I am really not seeing any results. For instance, if lesson six has two parts (slurred sixths & slurred thirds with cresendo - decresendo), I only do one part.

Am I doing too little? Should I repeat the lesson later in the day?

So I am wondering what should be reasonable expectations in seeing improvement? I am using a 1 1/2 C mouthpiece so I know that in itself poses problems with upper range but I love the sound in the mid register.

Thanks for your help.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this thread and proceed EXACTLY as described. After 3 or 4 weeks of doing that get back to us with a follow up.

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=299
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PH wrote:
Read this thread and proceed EXACTLY as described. After 3 or 4 weeks of doing that get back to us with a follow up.

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=299

Very interesting to see how Carmine assigned his exercises. I studied with Carmine back in the mid late 70's. I came to Carmine after studying with one of his students for a few years. I was already doing the whole routine by the time I went to Carmine. The teacher I studied with assigned a little more than was mentioned in the post in the other thread. Carmine tweaked a few things but didn't change a whole of what I was already doing.
That said the op in this thread should realize that you need to do a little more each week or so. Caruso is not for the faint of heart and the routine is very taxing. It sounds awful for the most part and it helps to have good neighbors. Adjust your routine on performance or gig days and always tap the foot! Caruso takes time but it's worth it. If the op can find a Caruso teacher that would help a great deal. Good luck, try the routine PH suggested and do let us know how it's going.
FivePointer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: reasonable expectations Reply with quote

I am really starting to see some good results now! Thanks for the direction. The only variation from doing exactly as prescribed is that I do the first set early in the morning and then have to go to work. So I don't have the time to repeat 20 minutes later. Some days I do repeat the exercise later in the day.

But I AM seeing good results. My embouchure is seated better in the cup and range is increasing.

I am now at the point of 8 notes- seconds then fourths. My questions is what do you do when you reach the end of the book?!!
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great question. I studied with Mr. Caruso in 1967-68!!! Playing this method is a life long journey. As you play different types of gigs your chops will adapt. This can be good or bad depending on the gig.

Then, its back to the book to recover or progress from there.

Cycle of life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: