• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Balanced Embouchure Testament

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zentrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Balanced Embouchure Testament Reply with quote

I have been doing BE since 2005, in general trying to make it a direct embouchure change because I hated my "regular" old embouchure so much. As so many wise people have repeatedly reiterated in this forum, it should not be a direct change. It is intended to be indirect. But I'm stubborn and I just had to find out for myself. That's probably why it took me so long to break through and finally improve my playing embouchure to the point that I'm doing stuff like this all the time now, just because it's fun:

http://youtu.be/b7BRpy5lE38

The equipment I use in this video is a Yamaha YCR-8335 Xeno cornet, .469 bore, with a Yamaha 11e4 mouthpiece. I should point out that things didn't really start to click for me until I started using this mouthpiece, which is much deeper than a standard trumpet-type mp. I think the Bach equivalent would be a 7A, give or take. Why a 7? One, it was on consignment for $15. Two, Joe Marcinkiewicz himself noted once how small a face I have, and asked me why I was trying to play a 1C. Didn't really have a good answer. Thanks, Joe.
Scodwell Trumpet #118
Yamaha Xeno Cornet
Yamaha YFH6310Z Flugelhorn

Last edited by zentrumpet on Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike!

I've never seen your posts here as being "stubborn." Far from it. You've always been upbeat and determined. Those are perfect ingrendients for eventual success, as you are now experiencing.

It is likely that the best is yet to come. Over the years, I've seen a lot of players make similar breakthroughs, only to find that a year or two later even greater improvement occurs.

You are moving more or less in the right direction. Nicely done.

Jeff
Valerie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a direct change too, but it was so subtle as to be visually undetectable; it could only be felt. All I did was to very slightly roll in my lips in my regular setting and miracles happened over night. My original set up was fundamentally good, only requiring a little tweaking to make it functional.

As I've worked with BE for 5 years now, however, my embouchure has changed quite a bit, but these changes have come the "right way", that is indirectly. The indirect changes have been more efficient, produce a better tone, more range & smoother transition between the registers.

I believe you've made a good start and I expect that as you continue to work BE, you'll continue to see changes and improvements as I did.
zentrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing that coincides with my recent success - I started using Warburton's PETE embouchure exerciser:

http://www.warburton-usa.com/index.php/products/accessories/36-accessories/190-PETE

A word of warning: If you try the PETE, don't overdo it (kind of like BE). I do it most mornings, but only for about a minute. Then it gets put away.

I feel like this helped to build and focus muscles I had been trying to develop with BE. At first I didn't see any range improvements, and suddenly, POW! Maybe it was coincidental, or maybe it was a catalyst.

Anyway, that's my two (more) cents...
Scodwell Trumpet #118
Yamaha Xeno Cornet
zentrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an e-mail reply to that YouTube video a couple days ago. I had completely forgotten about it. I tried doing that again and found that my laziness over the past couple of months had taken its toll. So I broke out the old BE exercises again yesterday and this morning. Just a few, then laid down the horn for a few hours. Stuck it on my face again a few minutes ago and the DHC was there. This BE stuff is magical.
Scodwell Trumpet #118
Yamaha Xeno Cornet
txtrumpetguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you! I've been doing BE exercises for 5 months and I'm hoping to see greater range and endurance in my playing soon.
TrumpetManLA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I have got to look into this stuff when I finally get the determination to get back to the trumpet. Very cool!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: