• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

how to distribute BE??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: how to distribute BE?? Reply with quote

New since a month with BE I would like to pose some questions. Most certainly they have been dealt with in previous posts but since 1)I like inventing wheels 2)I am 73, having played since 1959 I feel time is valuable.
My regular practice has been made up by Stamp (since -94), Colin (since mid-seventies), Bai Lin (since 2013), Clarke/Arban forever etc. Recently also Bill Knewitt. Question 1): should I go on using the aforementioned?
If so, use BE before or after (of course I try to sneak in BE) - or revert to BE only?
Question 2)I play solocornet in a BrassBand, fairly intricate music often demanding I practice technical stuff - and durability; Also bigbands, lead in one, demanding expanded range (G over high C will suffice) and - durability. BE is already in some mysterious way helping me - but -how to distribute it for maximum benefit?

So - anyone out there having views on how to distribute the BE practising?
I know I am searching for shortcuts - but I am also a very dililigent
"practicer".

Already I find a new "bite" in my blowing, as of right now, range up to D, sometimes E (would like to hit that one as the last tone i Big Dipper f x). In my younger days I could nail a high Eb just like that (the soloist in "James Session" never did so I had to help him) but I wouldnŽt state that I could play "musically" up above high D. Snapping single notes yes but not really using them. My lifetime mpc was Bach 1 1/4 - now Schilke 14 (cornet) and 14A for lead)

Looking forward to your views on this!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of players have expressed to me that they don't want to waste time, and would like to know the perfect balance of exercises RIGHT NOW.

It doesn't work like that, on trumpet, or in life. You will have to go down a few blind alleys, where you will fail in some way, but you will also learn something valuable about yourself.

At this point in your development, I suggest focusing on the BE exercises primarily, and the non-BE exercises secondarily (as a change-of-pace). This emphasis may change over time as your lips begin to take on a greater range of motion. But for now you need to find out what the BE exercises do when done in the most complete manner possible. The lesson plans near the back of the book give a rough idea of a general progression of the exercises.

Jeff
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetteacher1 wrote:
A lot of players have expressed to me that they don't want to waste time, and would like to know the perfect balance of exercises RIGHT NOW.

It doesn't work like that, on trumpet, or in life. You will have to go down a few blind alleys, where you will fail in some way, but you will also learn something valuable about yourself.

At this point in your development, I suggest focusing on the BE exercises primarily, and the non-BE exercises secondarily (as a change-of-pace). This emphasis may change over time as your lips begin to take on a greater range of motion. But for now you need to find out what the BE exercises do when done in the most complete manner possible. The lesson plans near the back of the book give a rough idea of a general progression of the exercises.

Jeff

IŽll know from life it doesnŽt work that way but hoped that on trumpet...
Thanks for swift comment. I will do my very best . Easy does it but I will let BE be my primary focus. Then a few hours rest and so the other stuff; would that be the technical stuff, or should I also practice Stamp/Colin. From the book it seems to me that your etudes should do it. The slurs you present I have done in Colin, but of course not the BE-way.
Anyhow probably not a good idea to use Colin, making me relapse in the old habits?!!Muscle-memory...
And I will read the remaining pages in your book
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: