• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hakan Hardenberger on Stamp

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
McNab Music

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oj wrote:
ertatta wrote:
[youtube]watch?v=8YkGHt5qEVY#t=13[/youtube]

Link did not work - here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YkGHt5qEVY#t=13

You could also buy the whole video with Malcolm - a great lesson!

Ole

I'm really pleased that people are enjoying this video. Excuse the shameless, self-promotion, but if you find this interesting please check out my annual trumpet seminar Camp McNab. It runs from July 28-August 2 at Azusa Pacific University. The basis of this seminar is teaching these warm ups, as they were taught to me by James Stamp. I hope to help you learn how to play your instrument more efficiently. If you are interested, please visit http://www.malcolmmcnab.com/#!camp-mcnab/c20i3 for more details.

All the best,
Malcolm
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I found interesting was that Hakan talks about bending by closing the throat, which most say is a 'no no'.
shofar
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StupidBrassObsession wrote:
The thing I found interesting was that Hakan talks about bending by closing the throat, which most say is a 'no no'.

That's not what he said, but just the opposite. Here's the exact quote from the article.

"What happens is, that you make a small vocalising (sings halftone interval O-AA-O) – just a small change in the throat. You make no extra push with the air. If you start to push with air, you introduce a fight against the trumpet instead of letting the trumpet “walk” with you and let your mind control the trumpet. I use to tell a little metaphor: When I was a little kid we had a very big dog, a St. Bernhard, and when we were out for a walk, he was out walking me. In my relation to the trumpet I try to be different: I decide over the trumpet and not vice versa.

The Stamp book (edition BIM) says that you should use force when bending?

Yes - absolutely wrong! It’s the same with the Schlossberg book written by his son in law. Schlossberg wrote out exercises like a doctor prescribing medicine for each of his students. Most certainly very precise! In fact I have a copy of Stamps lesson when he as a very young man went to Schlossberg – a little prescription for next weeks exercise. Someone then collected these notes and put it together as a book. What we also know is that Arban, Clarke etc, the text in the books serve no purpose. It is not what you practice, but how you practice.

Many do not succeed when they try these bends. The tone does not change – it is still a G or F regardless of what they do (HH makes ”locked throat sound” with his voice). This is a sign of stiffness. You have to solve that problem first."

It does seem a little hard to get what he is saying and I think it can be possibly interpretted the way "StupidBrassObsession" suggests. But as you read that part of the article, that's for sure not what HH is saying.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this article years ago, and the thing that I take away from it is that most people who do Stamp exercises just go through the motions but rarely know what it is that they are doing. I think it's important to go into these studies with a clear vision of what you are trying to achieve, rather than to just "warm up." Same could be said of all our practice.
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofar wrote:
But as you read that part of the article, that's for sure not what HH is saying.

How do you know for sure? I'm certainly not sure and it's not clear in the article.

What is clear is that he says not to do stamp the way it says to do it in the book...

That in itself seems notable.
USNABtpt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: