• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cichowicz Masterclass in Nebraska

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always find out about these things too late...

http://www.trumpetguild.org/news/news03/065cichowiczne.htm

(Severinsen was at DU, just north, not long ago, too! A reminder to check the ITG website more often...)

[ This Message was edited by: Don Herman on 2003-09-29 14:48 ]
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Cichowicz.... I just ordered his compilation called "Trumpet Flow Studies" from Tulsa Band. I heard that any serious trumpeter should have a copy of this. Could someone give me the lowdown on what exactly these exercises do for you? I don't really understand them, but I'll practice anything if it can improve my playing.
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re. Flow Studies: Think of them as "moving long tones" which quickly move into musical studies. They exercise just about every facet of musicianship. The book is a compilation of studies and etudes from numerous sources, providing a nice cross-section of (very humbling, in my case) short practice studies. The idea behind them, as I understand it, is to introduce "musical moving long tones" to us. However, more than simple moving slurs and such are in the book -- tonguing, finger dexterity, and other technical material is covered in its musical examples. And, that to me is the main point of the book: to develop your skills as a musician.

More info is in these threads:

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=12257&forum=18&12

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=2393&forum=18&7

HTH! - Don
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing that Don. I'll have to give my friend Jeremy a talking to(he was the one playing the Artunian). We went to high school together and the meanie never even told me how the VC masterclass went. I imagine Loudog got to check it out too. Lucky ducks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kevin Good

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the 'er, um, "discussion" at the Chicago School-VC section.

KG
thelurker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Speaking of Cichowicz.... I just ordered his compilation called "Trumpet Flow Studies" from Tulsa Band. I heard that any serious trumpeter should have a copy of this. Could someone give me the lowdown on what exactly these exercises do for you? I don't really understand them, but I'll practice anything if it can improve my playing. "

I believe that this is the worse thing you can do, get with someone that really knows VC and his teachings before you get to much into his "concepts"

just my opinion
robert_white
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...

While I certainly agree that it would be of great benefit to study with someone familiar with VC's way of working, (or the man himself), I don't think there's anything in that book that's inherently dangerous. No more than Clarke or Arban's, anyway!
thelurker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No nothing in the book, it self is dangerous, and if my previous post implied that then, I am sorry. The problem I see is there are people out there teaching “Chicago” concepts and flow studies concepts but don’t really know what they are talking about.
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I know, VC compiled the Flow Studies book to add to what Clarke technical studies are designed for. The name says it all. The focus is moving the air smoothly and evenly through each note of each phrase. I've always been told to approach them as musically as possible and always try to blow through the center of every note. They are also a huge help in checking the entire range for evenness of sound and having the upper register naturally flow out of the lower register. Those are the basic ideas that I was taught by a VC student. I worked on them for about the first year and a half of college here at TCU and they helped a lot with getting me to relax and use the air to power the sound and embouchure. Any day that I'm a little ragged and taking awhile to get going, I will pull the flow studies book back out and play through a couple. 9 out of 10 times on those bad days, I can get going again with the flow studies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: