• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece creep

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shaolin

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Mouthpiece creep Reply with quote

Hi All -- You've heard of "mission creep." I get "mouthpiece creep." Like Rich Willey (correct me if I'm wrong, Rich!), I'm a IIIB with a low mouthpiece placement and a parallel-to-the-floor horn angle. Over time, days or even weeks, my placement imperceptibly creeps up until it's too high, and then all the wheels fall off my playing. By now, I recognize what's happening and can correct it when it gets to that "wheels off" point. I'm looking for some good ways to keep it from happening in the first place. Thanks in advance!
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Mouthpiece creep Reply with quote

shaolin wrote:
Hi All -- You've heard of "mission creep." I get "mouthpiece creep." Like Rich Willey (correct me if I'm wrong, Rich!), I'm a IIIB with a low mouthpiece placement and a parallel-to-the-floor horn angle. Over time, days or even weeks, my placement imperceptibly creeps up until it's too high, and then all the wheels fall off my playing. By now, I recognize what's happening and can correct it when it gets to that "wheels off" point. I'm looking for some good ways to keep it from happening in the first place. Thanks in advance!

No, you're not wrong . . . and I went through a spin where I was consciously trying to raise my mouthpiece placement on my embouchure. I misinterpreted something Doc wrote and it didn't take long before I lost all my range (I had trouble getting out of the staff). I didn't put 2 + 2 together, and went up to see him practically in tears. In a very short time he had me place lower than I thought humanly possible and try playing that way, and bada bing! Everything was back!

Turns out I was "type-switching" which was the culmination of my "mouthpiece creep" episode. I have learned that lesson so well that I don't think it could ever happen again. (This is one IIIB who absolutely cannot function as a IIIA.)

When coming back from Bells Palsy I had a period where there was a "blob" in my bottom lip and overcame that by placing only slightly higher than usual. I haven't had to think about that for a good long while now, so things are going pretty well at the moment.

The good way I can think of to keep that from happening (referring back to the OP), is to place from North to South as Doc prescribed, and consciously place low on the top lip. For us, slipping a little lower isn't the end of the world. Sometimes it can actually be the answer.
shaolin

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Rich, thanks! That's very helpful. And, it makes me wonder about something interesting. When I was studying with Doc, he had me as a type IV. Fast forward: after many years off the horn, I returned and went to Dave Sheetz. Dave said, "Well, you may have been playing type IV years ago, but you're playing IIIB now." Is it possible, since, as Doc said, a IIIB is "the type III with a type IV pivot," that I was a IIIB all along but Doc had me think type IV so that I wouldn't let my placement get too high? Crazy thought, but who knows?! Thanks for your feedback!
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that is a very real possibility. He told me that he did that kind of thing from time to time to help people overcome various mental obstacles.

For instance, when I originally went to bass trumpet, Doc typed me as a IV, and I'm convinced it was for two reasons: 1) to give me a fresh start and a new outlook since I was a completely crushed and defeated trumpet player, and 2) so I wouldn't be afraid of getting a bright sound (coming off trumpet to bass trumpet was quite a jolt but striving for a bright sound kept me feeling, at some level, like I was still a trumpet player).

Years later a roomful of Reinhardt guys watched me through a clear mouthpiece and they all told me I was undoubtedly a IIIB. And as you said, the pivot and pivot classification for both are identical, so what did it really hurt?

airdyn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Too high placement! Reply with quote

shaolin wrote:
Wow, Rich, thanks! That's very helpful. And, it makes me wonder about something interesting. When I was studying with Doc, he had me as a type IV. Fast forward: after many years off the horn, I returned and went to Dave Sheetz. Dave said, "Well, you may have been playing type IV years ago, but you're playing IIIB now." Is it possible, since, as Doc said, a IIIB is "the type III with a type IV pivot," that I was a IIIB all along but Doc had me think type IV so that I wouldn't let my placement get too high? Crazy thought, but who knows?! Thanks for your feedback!

Hi...I am get back to playing (after 2 and 1/2 years with my Stroke) and this is what happening in a few days of playing...I GOT TOO HIGH FOR MY IIIB!
This is why: I WAS WALKING INTO A BUZZ AND DOC TOLD ME MANY YEARS AGO TO WHAT OUT FOR THIS CREATING TOO HIGH WHEN SETTING UP!

I Fixed it!

Dave

razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Too high placement! Reply with quote

airdyn wrote:

Hi...I am get back to playing

Hi Dave, and what GREAT news!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: