• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How fast can I get better?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really have any long term goals right now, I'd like to be able to do well at the district audition next year, but I'm not sure if I'll be auditioning.

What process exactly is this method? Is it a complete embochure change, or does it just blend into what I play on now? Is it just getting the hang of playing with the new embochure, or is it just exercises to help you play better over a long period of time?

I know there's no get-good-quick plan...but I'm just wondering if this will all-the-sudden-help, or take a long time to develop.

Bonnie

Sounds: http://www.sitesled.com/members/bonniej
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie,

The Balanced Embouchure method works amazingly well but you have to approach it without any preconceived notions. Some people advanced more quickly than others. I was slow as snails. Also, some of the excercises, like the pedal tones, may not make much sense intellectually/logically but they do work wonders straightening out a faulty embouchure and improving all aspects of trumpet playing.
It's not a quick fix but a total regimen.

barry
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that it's going to vary greatly from player to player. I saw benefits in the first week, but I'm a fairly strong player that's been at it for 46 years. I want to solidify my upper range and increase endurance. I've seen benefits in just a few weeks and I get glimpses of astounding things (like playing G above high-C as easily as high-C, but not under control yet). With work I gain the consistancy.

Dave
trumpetjunkie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to the indirect or direct approach-read this;

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=14493&forum=29&14
TXBD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie,

Here is my experience: If you begin doing BE exercises, diligently and correctly, you will see some noticable effect
(maybe range, maybe tone quality) fairly quickly (maybe two weeks). This will cause you to hit the exercises harder, which may bring you to a plateau sooner. I advise everyone to be diligent, practice correctly, and be patient for results. Quick improvement is fun, but the longterm benefits of BE will amaze you into never wanting to put the horn down.

Billy Marquis
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I read through the entire trumpetteacher.net site and ordered the book today. Hopefully it will be here soon. I'll let you know how it goes...I'm really having no idea what this will do. It somehow sounds crazy, but then totally logical, then I worry I will not be able to grasp the concept fully.

This is actually the same concept (as far as I can tell) that my teacher was trying to tell me about, only since it came to him naturally I couldn't figure out much of what I was supposed to do to make it happen.

looking forward to.........improving!

Bonnie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a big part of BE, that many gifted teachers cannot really explain how they do what they do. If you don't happen to hit on it naturally, then they have difficulty showing you procedures that will help you make changes.

I think you'll be totally pleased with BE and so will your instructor, whether he or she knows that you're doing it or not.

Dave
gerrit2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everybody,
I use BE for three months now. I know BE is not a direct method, but I did use it as a direct method (and do now) because my old embouchure was really really bad. In three months, my tone is better then ever, my range is better then ever, and my endurance is better then ever. The only problem is articulation, which on I am working now every second I got left. Also the low notes don't come like they did, but every day I get it better. Every day I feel I CAN progress, so I have to blame myself if I don't.

I know i have a long way to go, but I'll walk that way, and hope at the end... I'll make MUSIC!

Sorry for my bad english. I'm from Holland so that's why.
Jeff, thank you for everything you did for the instrument, and the people behind.

Gerrit

[ This Message was edited by: gerrit2 on 2004-01-13 14:07 ]
mcamilleri
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerrit, you should put some practice time into BE tongue-on-lips and BE double tonguing exercises, and also do some tonguing studies using tongue-on-lips. There are a large number ways to articulate, from tonguing behind the top teeth like Arban suggested, to tonguing on lips, or the spit-type tonguing advocated by Callet, and others. You need to experiment and find what tonguing style and position works best for you.

Personally, I have never been able to tongue properly up behind the top teeth, and use tongue-on-lips for normal articulation, or sometimes leave the tip of the tongue on the bottom teeth and articulate from near the tongue tip, which is Callet style.

Michael
gerrit2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,
I try allready the tonguing on the lips exersises, but as far as I can see now, it don't help too much. Maybe it will com. I'll experiment more. Maybe that will help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: