• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Video "NO MORE DRAMA"-Mac Gollehon & The Hispa

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but………

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqpNQ9AJYgU&ab_channel=TheSGuitarLessons
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac is a great trumpet player. Tons of credentials, chops that go on forever...but sometimes makes choices I just don't understand.

I get it...sort of. ...as a conception art piece...maybe.

But as far as musical interest?? For me??? Boring as sin.
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rest of the album is more interesting. Urban...smooth jazz, to Latin dj pop, with lots of 70s overtones.

Be cool in a low key night club, but I can't imagine a live performance...with all the over dubbing and artificial loops and other electronica
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Nevadabighorn I guess you are too old for this.Dont let me interrupt you from listening to your Doc Severinson records.

Mac, that was pretty rude. People here were too polite to say anything, but you kept begging for comments. And when you got an honest opinion, you took it personally.

Players here mostly know who you are, and respect your abilities. But you have made choices here which many find baffling, to put it mildly.

Jeff
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetteacher1 wrote:
Quote:
Nevadabighorn I guess you are too old for this.Dont let me interrupt you from listening to your Doc Severinson records.

Mac, that was pretty rude. People here were too polite to say anything, but you kept begging for comments. And when you got an honest opinion, you took it personally.

Players here mostly know who you are, and respect your abilities. But you have made choices here which many find baffling, to put it mildly.

Jeff

For what is worth, I love my old Doc records, and I love lots of stuff Mac has recorded. Either way, there is no need for personal attacks. This isn't a US presidential election, it's just music
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpet jousting, always good! To its credit, TH has to be recognized as a 'purist' site. And we surely need a couple of those. I'm sure Mac would rather be a welterweight purist than a middle weight contender. But apart from 'star power', all acoustic instruments lost that battle several decades ago.

These days, get a trumpet to #2 on the EDM charts and a top 20 in jazz then I'm in full support - especially if I want my trumpet to help me eat this week. My personal likes include Doc as well as Harry James, Herb Alpert, Al Hirt, and Kenny Baker. My passions include Clifford, Louis, Diz, Freddie, Roy, Fats, Lee, and many others. But take that to Starbucks and you'll still need $1.25 to get a cuppa. Most of us get reliable paychecks every week. That's a lifestyle choice, not artistic. And like it or not, these preferences do define our age. Don't believe it, then ask a buying audience to give you Clifford's, Lee's, Freddie's, Thad's, Booker's, Woody's, or Fats' last name. Even 'Louis', 'Chet', and 'Diz' will get you a blank stare these days.

FYI, I too found it unsettling to see Mac on a flug while the track was clearly a trumpet. I was equally flummoxed when Don Cheadle played a non-Committee. But only the purists spot these details. No need to take offense, time marches on - more quickly now than ever.

I'm gigging with Mac this weekend. So I'll ask him why he's pictured with a flug during trumpet tracks. But we already know the answer - producers are essential these days. They don't know our jobs, but they know theirs. Production sells, check the charts. 🙁
Mac Gollehon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My intent was to make a strong EDM Latin Funk recording.There are several tracks on the cd that show this genre as well as a vaporwave remix. The intent of the video was simply a fun late night hang.As to the reply from trumpetteacher1 and 2 others not understanding my choices that's ok,they are after all my choices and my music choices run a wide gamut. I become bored quickly with routine and standardization. This may not be your cup of tea but it is a new direction.
formerchunks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any sheet music for this available? I would love to perform an arrangement of it at ntc next year with my trumpet ensemble consisting of 17 large bellied middle aged men. It will be groundbreaking and of high magnitude.
Mac Gollehon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much for polite huh
Mac Gollehon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know where you can stick your trumpet enseemble dude
formerchunks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that is very rude and unprofessional, especially coming from a famous Latin EDM musician like yourself.
Mac Gollehon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do hope you hope you have a cage to stay in tonight. Now back to my gig
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ6nF6JKtRc
formerchunks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1UyT5lvTheU
amigomatt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Video "NO MORE DRAMA"-Mac Gollehon & The H Reply with quote

Mac Gollehon wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6O_j0lQNxs

Just off the "hot" presses, is a groundbreaking new video of the single "No More Drama" off my new album Mac Gollehon & The Hispanic Mechanics. Directed by the very talented Dylan Greenberg, a young filmmaker who has seen coverage in such notable sites as SPIN, Vice and Pitchfork for her last feature film – Dark Prism. This collaboration is the first of many between True Groove Records, me & Dylan Greenberg.

Dylan Greenberg says of the video, "The vision I got across in Mac's video was the same brutalist aesthetic I've seen in works such as David Lynch's Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway, only instead of using the atmosphere to create a sense of horror, I flipped it on its side and used surrealism to create a fun, danceable video. Furthermore, the kinetic nature of the project is aimed to make viewers feel that they, too are part of an exciting audio visual experience." She has already begun work on a second video off my album, and we are both excited about the meld of groundbreaking music with groundbreaking visuals.

"...what Gollehon delivers here is bone-crushing Latin Funk. Pure and simple... It is like the love child of Chemical Brothers and Tito Puente." Jazz Times, May 20, 2016

[/url][/youtube]

This has got to be a joke? Groundbreaking music with groundbreaking visuals? Are you trolling with this video!?
Schilke P 5-4 piccolo
Bach flugel
Yamaha D/Eb
Stork mouthpieces
http://northernhorn.wordpress.com/
http://www.facebook.com/northernhorn
http://uk.youtube.com/user/amigomatt
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

formerchunks wrote:
Do you have any sheet music for this available? I would love to perform an arrangement of it at ntc next year with my trumpet ensemble consisting of 17 large bellied middle aged men. It will be groundbreaking and of high magnitude.

Courtesy costs nothing. You may not like the video or the music or the concept or the players but your comment is discourteous and uncalled for. One of the problems we often see on TH is a lack of civility. The forum is intended to be a respectful melting pot of varying ideas and viewpoints.

There are respectful ways to express dissent. Your comment is not among those ways. Just saying.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knock off the personal attacks. Only warning.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do these guys know how great a player, physically as well as musically Mac is?
Mac is a great guy, great player, and great creative musician.
Only a few people like that around
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
amigomatt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:
do these guys know how great a player, physically as well as musically Mac is?
Mac is a great guy, great player, and great creative musician.
Only a few people like that around

I'm quite sure he is by his credentials but he did invite feedback on this thread and I must say, I actually thought it was a joke watching that video. I'm all about all styles of music and am not a snob, but there's fundamentally bad visual production going on there, really amateurish in execution and entirely vacuous musical content. Why has he put his name to this? What am I really missing here? I produce music and am a competent video editor too. I can't see this doing well in any circumstance, sorry. It's no slur on Mac as a trumpet player/person, I'm just giving my honest reaction and I would like to think that others would do the same the other way round.
Schilke P 5-4 piccolo
Bach flugel
Yamaha D/Eb
Stork mouthpieces
http://northernhorn.wordpress.com/
http://www.facebook.com/northernhorn
http://uk.youtube.com/user/amigomatt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: