• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Practicing at conferences?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> ITG Conferences
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveduder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Practicing at conferences? Reply with quote

Hi all,
This year I will be visiting the 2016 ITG conference in LA, California. Quick question: Will there be any designated places or times to practice, or is a practice mute (or not!) in your hotel room the way to go?
Thanks!
-David
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The accepted norm seems to be to get your workout in via playing some horns as loud and high as possible.
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Practicing at conferences? Reply with quote

daveduder wrote:
Hi all,
This year I will be visiting the 2016 ITG conference in LA, California. Quick question: Will there be any designated places or times to practice, or is a practice mute (or not!) in your hotel room the way to go?
Thanks!
-David

I've attended a couple of dozen of these conferences. Locate the horn display area(s), an empty chair if possible (I use my torpedo bag) and have at it. No one will pay much attention unless you're the highest playing cat in town. Lots of players use their hotel rooms but I personnaly think that's rude to the hotel's none trumpet guests.
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people I know practice in their hotel room using a practice mute.
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a hidden part of the hotel and practice with a low decibel mute until you get thrown out. Then, move on politely and find another similar spot. Repeat as needed.
spiegl

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Practising at ITG conference Reply with quote

The location is not that far (15-20 minutes) from Fullerton College and California State University Fullerton both of which would have practice rooms for possible use.
trompette24

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: ITG Conference Practicing Reply with quote

Kind of a late response after the fact, but after attending my first ITG Conference (in Anaheim, also the first time presenting at a conference), I noticed many trumpeters playing in their hotel rooms on various floors, at a reasonable volume. Most occupants were either there for the conference or Disneyland so I'm assuming a good portion of the rooms were vacant during the day. The hotel also had noticeable signs around each floor about "quiet time" being between 10pm-8am (or something like that). They likely anticipated instrument noise in the rooms during the conference. In any event, I didn't hear about anyone getting busted for playing in their rooms during the day from hotel, including myself.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptguy wrote:
Find a hidden part of the hotel and practice with a low decibel mute until you get thrown out. Then, move on politely and find another similar spot. Repeat as needed.
Too late for 2016 but yeah, I agree with this one whole-heartedly. I do this when I'm on ski trips during the winter. At those venues there isn't much issue with running into other players, either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> ITG Conferences All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: