• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

LefreQue Tone Bridge

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: LefreQue Tone Bridge Reply with quote

Link

https://www.lefreque.com/how-to-use/spectral-analysis

https://www.lefreque.com/how-to-use/what-is-a-lefreque
"What is a lefreQue
Sound bridge for wind instrument
The lefreQue is a sound bridge that will make all wind instruments sound better. It consists of a bridge that is built up by two metal elements that will repair the sound breaches that occur in by different parts of a wind instrument. You can put the lefreQue on an instrument using a especially developed elastic band, you do not need to change anything on the instrument itself.

Saxophone- and flute player Hans Kuijt at first invented the lefreQue for the saxophone being unsatisfied with the sound quality of even the very best instruments. He concluded that all connections between the different parts of a wind instrument had a negative influence on the sound quality and tuning of the tone.

Cork is a material that does not pass on sound. You can use it to fit a mouth piece on to the instrument but at the same time, the properties of cork are such that it does not transmit the required sound to the instrument, it actually mutes sound.
lefreQue solves this problems.

For all wind instruments
Finding that the invention worked perfectly on all types of saxophone Hans decided to put the lefreQue on his flutes. On the flute there are no cork connections but the lefreQue does the job in the same way essentially. On a flute you slide the pieces into each other, thereby effecting a sound breach, which again will be corrected by using the lefreQue.
"
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More gear!!

Heavy weight caps, light weight finger buttons, sounds sleeves, tone enhancers, whatever those weird things that go in your tuning slide, different weight shims to go in your bottom valve caps, mega tone, heavy weight mouthpieces, heavy weight backbores, extra sheets of brass around bell bow and tuning slide....

MORE STUFF!!

Now this little guy?? I saw the one in gold goes for $2800!!

Far out. What an industry!!!
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - as P.T.Barnum said, there is one born every minute.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are quite a few threads on TH discussing this. Mike Sailors purchased one and liked it. I wonder if he still uses it.
Ragnarok

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A recently took part in a mock audition with a flute player from my orchestra. She was using one of the sound bridges. We did blind tests with it on and with it off multiple times with the committee not knowing. The option with the LeFreque won unanimously every time.

I have one, I noticed a difference but I'm not sure if it's a positive one. I tried it on my piccolo trumpet, connecting from the tuning A pipe into the leadpipe instead of from the mouthpiece into the leadpipe and that was very positive.
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a butt for every saddle.

And a junk draw full of gadgets and gimmicks owned by every musician.

I have enough mouthpieces from experiments to make a couple of nice chess sets, and several water bongs.

Invested in leadpipes, tuning slides, backbores all kinds of stuff.

If these things don't work out, it looks like they can be used as bottle openers at least.
Thomas T

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they'll make me sound like Steve Dillard, I'm down! Seriously though...at $55 for the brass version, they're kind of intriguing.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragnarok wrote:
A recently took part in a mock audition with a flute player from my orchestra. She was using one of the sound bridges. We did blind tests with it on and with it off multiple times with the committee not knowing. The option with the LeFreque won unanimously every time.

I have one, I noticed a difference but I'm not sure if it's a positive one. I tried it on my piccolo trumpet, connecting from the tuning A pipe into the leadpipe instead of from the mouthpiece into the leadpipe and that was very positive.

To be certain, you would need a double blind experiment in which the player as well as listeners are unaware whether the gadget is on or off. I would also have the third option - gadget shimmed with cork or polystyrene (to destroy the audio coupling while keeping the weight and instrument balance constant).
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
There are quite a few threads on TH discussing this. Mike Sailors purchased one and liked it. I wonder if he still uses it.

I'm still using it and really liking it.

I'm on vacation at the moment, but when I get back home I'm going to post some hi-def clips so you all can be the judge.
Usedtobegood
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the brass one from Steve Dillard yesterday and I really like it. Seems to center the horn better and evens out the scale for me. It makes runs up and down the horn sound and feel smoother. Why? I don't know!! It doesn't really change the sound of the horn for me, like make it brighter or darker, but seems to give me more stability. Placebo? Maybe....but...it seems to help so why not? FYI it works with sleeves too!

Also if you have a little arthritis in your hands like I do it is a little hard to put it on the first time. If I change mouthpieces or put it in the case, I leave it on and just slide it down the leadpipe.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of buying one but the price is a put-off. For the past couple days I've been experimenting on my cornet with a half-inch binder clip across the receiver and mouthpiece shank and I've noticed cleaner attacks, especially multiple tonguing. There also seems to be a wider dynamic range and better projection. Note slots are also more secure.

I've tried other gadgets like heavy caps, adjusting the screw tension on the water keys, etc. but never really experienced an advantage. This dampening of the receiver/mouthpiece connection, for me, gives the most noticeable improvements in response and tone.

I'm just an amateur hack so here's some salt ....

Kent
Usedtobegood
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
I'm thinking of buying one but the price is a put-off.

Kent

$66 shipped from Horntrader.com I don't think that's too bad...
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried NiViBri, Tweeqers, heavy caps, tone rings, brass valve guides, leadpipes, tuning slides and all kinds of mouthpieces. Why not one more? Each have had some effect that I have liked, some not. Cheaper than a new mouthpiece so not much of a gamble. I just love playing and it is a huge source of pleasure that I don't mind investing in. Now if I only played a whole lot better as a result.
ruotjoh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not convinced that two formed metal plates with a rubber string is worth $60+ as you could probably make one yourself for a lot less and have the same effect. To be honest this thing is just weird looking on trumpet. It looks much better on flutes which is probably their main audience.

Anyway, I love innovative stuff and I'm sure it affects how the horn plays but IMO the design could be improved for brass instruments.
Usedtobegood
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruotjoh wrote:
I'm still not convinced that two formed metal plates with a rubber string is worth $60+ as you could probably make one yourself for a lot less and have the same effect. To be honest this thing is just weird looking on trumpet. It looks much better on flutes which is probably their main audience.

Anyway, I love innovative stuff and I'm sure it affects how the horn plays but IMO the design could be improved for brass instruments.

Great! Let us know when your prototype is ready and we will volunteer to test it!
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received a lefreQue today. I like it! Surprised by the results, which are noticeably better. Easy to put on and take off. I'll keep using it.
Piccolo Stomvi
tollaus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruotjoh wrote:

You are not paying for the material itself, you are paying for the IDEA, for the researches that have been done, and all that comes with it.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tollaus wrote:
ruotjoh wrote:

You are not paying for the material itself, you are paying for the IDEA, for the researches that have been done, and all that comes with it.

As an inventor one needs to balance the how much of the research costs to recoup on each unit against the customer's perceived value of the product. Each customer gets to vote with their pocket book.
tollaus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
tollaus wrote:
ruotjoh wrote:

As an inventor one needs to balance the how much of the research costs to recoup on each unit against the customer's perceived value of the product. Each customer gets to vote with their pocket book.

You are right, the customer makes his own evaluation. I just don't see the price out of the market. Sometimes we just pay $250 and more for a mouthpiece, which all in all is just a piece of brass.
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tacking on some mass or increasing the bracing in the area of the receiver seems to work...seems to me I saw a recommendation to try taping the receiver tightly to the bell bow in one of Pops' books. Also weighted mouthpieces, lead tape, different bracing, etc.

Question for me would be whether this particular gizmo actually works $55 better than your DIY gizmo. To know for sure would require some behind the screen testing, I guess.
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: