• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Where should I apply?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilentBang

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Where should I apply? Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, but I have read through the other postings and they're either dated or really specific. Teachers move around a lot and programs change over time so maybe a new thread is warranted.

I'm going into senior year in HS looking to major in classical performance- maybe combined with Ed. I'm looking for a smallish trumpet studio with great teachers surrounded by a good program. Nice facilities would be a plus (I've had my fill of practicing in bathrooms for now haha) I'd also like to avoid too many auditions because my school won't allow me to miss that many days before I lose credit in classes. I'm not sure which schools I should be looking at that I am not so any input would be great.

Here are the schools I am applying to:

Hartt
Indiana
Bard
UGA
Juilliard
Northwestern
Curtis
U of Maryland

What schools am I missing?

Thanks a bunch,
Ben
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arizona State --- David Hickman?

Far from home, though...
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
SilentBang

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

royjohn wrote:
Arizona State --- David Hickman?

Far from home, though...

Not an issue, the farther the better-
I'll check it out
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a side note to this thread, if you end up doing Performance, I would recommend studying some jazz/improvising while you're at school. I really wish I had done that, as that will open the door to a lot more job/gig opportunities. Just a thought.
Trumpet1998

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should apply to Vanderbilt. Jose Sibaja is the new trumpet professor and he is amazing.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where ever you end up, be certain you also have a Plan B as your prospective field is not exactly growing and neither is the money. Good luck, though, and lots plan on lots of practice and making connections.
Insensato
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

University of Maryland College Park allows for a great dual degree program with a Music Ed degree and a Performance degree completed in 4.5 years (one extra semester).
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rice - Barbara Butler and Charly Geyer
ADziuk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest you seriously rethink your list unless you believe you are at the level where you can win a full ride or close to it at a number of those institutions.

They are all good schools but over half that list will put you six figures in debt for your undergrad alone. No school, or teacher, is worth that kind of investment for undergraduate music degrees. Northwestern is approaching $70,000 a year. That means even if you won a massive scholarship covering half your costs you would still be an eye watering $140,000 in debt with nothing but an undergrad degree in hand when you are done.

I did my masters at Indiana, but I had a scholarship that covered all my tuition and then some. Scholarships like that are not even available at most undergrad schools. The big money is saved for grad. students.

You need to at least add some public colleges in your state or in your area that will have MUCH more reasonable tuition.
Martinharris
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't want to be auditioning for all of those!! That's an expensive waste of time! Audition for 4 or 5
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADziuk wrote:
I would suggest you seriously rethink your list unless you believe you are at the level where you can win a full ride or close to it at a number of those institutions... Northwestern is approaching $70,000 a year. That means even if you won a massive scholarship covering half your costs you would still be an eye watering $140,000 in debt with nothing but an undergrad degree in hand when you are done.

Good advice! This is hard to know/see in high school, but simply paying for your housing, food, and the interest on a debt like that is more than many music grads can make after graduation. (Note: that's not saying anything about paying down the actual debt itself - this would mean everything you can make would be swallowed up by effectively treading water, maybe indefinitely.) No matter how good your school is, when you get out of school, you'll be up against everyone else in the whole market, and it's hugely unlikely that you'll be making gobs of money. Taking on an unmanageable debt is one of the surest ways to sink yourself.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve A wrote:
ADziuk wrote:
I would suggest you seriously rethink your list unless you believe you are at the level where you can win a full ride or close to it at a number of those institutions... Northwestern is approaching $70,000 a year. That means even if you won a massive scholarship covering half your costs you would still be an eye watering $140,000 in debt with nothing but an undergrad degree in hand when you are done.

Good advice! This is hard to know/see in high school, but simply paying for your housing, food, and the interest on a debt like that is more than many music grads can make after graduation. (Note: that's not saying anything about paying down the actual debt itself - this would mean everything you can make would be swallowed up by effectively treading water, maybe indefinitely.) No matter how good your school is, when you get out of school, you'll be up against everyone else in the whole market, and it's hugely unlikely that you'll be making gobs of money. Taking on an unmanageable debt is one of the surest ways to sink yourself.

I agree that this is something to consider. Building on this theme, are there any good programs in NJ, where the OP lives, where in-state tuition could help to mitigate the cost of a music degree?

Back when I went to college, William Patterson and New Jersey City University where good in-state schools in NJ with good music education programs and good jazz programs.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
jillian.hoffman@eagles.oc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UNT school of music is a 10/10 and affordable
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also this popular place to train for a music career. Many have started here and learned much.

[img][/img]

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
trombino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U of Illinois-Daval
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUNY Potsdam Crane School of Music.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sam.neufeld

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider University of Miami with Craig Morris!
Mdmeyer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

University of Houston
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think someone else touched on this thought... Unless you've won a large scholarship to a top School/Conservatory, get your undergrad at a University that has a good Ed program and a reasonable music dept. While you're there study hard and make your connections for your Masters/Doctorate work. You can always study with more that one guy while you're an undergrad; find that stud nearby that you work with in the summer. I think this gives you a broader base to move forward on.

As a player, you will teach eventually. Either as you leave undergrad and find that school gig or as the principle player in the Phila Orch .. you WILL teach.

Save your undergrad money(s). Explore the schools near you - find the instructor and program that suits you. The good thing about smaller schools is that you'll have more chance to work with the Prof and play in the top groups.

good luck
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Gartex1960

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Where should I apply? Reply with quote

UNT and Kentucky as well as Oberlin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: