• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Breathing question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glord1894

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Breathing question Reply with quote

Hey folks,

I found great success with the breathing concepts of inhale on "HOE" and exhale on "TOE". I noticed that it is very difficult for me to breath on this syllable when I try to breath through my corners. I have to open up the center of my mouth for this to work. Has anyone else had this problem? I'd like to be able to keep the mouthpiece set while I breath, but when I do I lose all the benefits of breathing with these syllables.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem.

The oral cavity syllable formation should not require you to open your entire mouth, in fact, if you can whistle, you are changing it by moving through the registers, low to high to low. You probably need to work towards your goal a bit more, and maybe look at relaxing, or loosening your jaw hinge and tongue a bit more, especially as you inhale. It's the position of the tonguemore than anything else that helps you form the OH syllable you are seeking to create- not your lips. FWIW- I believe a lot of people over-exagerate this when they are attempting to "learn" proper breathing, which your body already knows how to do if you get out of your own way. Relax. Good luck.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar to Swartz I think:

Simply relax the lips/jaw and feel the wind rush past them as you inhale. That easy.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd like to be able to keep the mouthpiece set while I breath, but when I do I lose all the benefits of breathing with these syllables.

Simple solution: inhale through the nose.

There are no "benefits" to inhaling with a particular syllable. Nose inhalation allows you to have the embouchure, oral and tongue posture ready to go with no adjustment before you start the tone..
TrumpetDan79
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple things that may add to the advice already given:

1. Make sure you are filling up to a comfortable positive-pressure (healthy compression), then remember we don't BLOW the trumpet, we RELEASE the sound. This is called the SWEET BREATH.

2. When you achieve the feeling like you are "surfing" the center of the instrument, keep expanding longer and longer lines, like Stamp or Cichowicz.
Surfing feels like you aren't driving with 2 feet....one foot on the brake, and one on the gas. Just take foot off the brake.

3. When you feel comfortable moving on, BREATH the Music In. Meaning, Character breathing. If you want a marshal sound, it takes a marshal inhalation. A sensitive entrance takes a sensitive inhale, then let the imagination go.

4. Then, the governor of all: SOUND. Can you hear the whistle of the 5th in relation to the fundamental? If not, bend around until you do, then adjust the slide and your check your sound. Centered is the goal.

This just helps get your mind out of the body, and let the system work naturally.

+1 on nose inhalation when you need. Caruso, timing, and setup are BIG KEYS.

Syllables are not useful unless you can literally hear the sound in your head. THEN, they help. UUUU for Low, AHHHH for Middle, IIIII for Higher.
Good Luck!

D
lmaraya
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just imitate a yawn, whole both in and out.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to a "yawning" breath - leads to relaxation in the upper respiratory system. I do not advocate a nose (sniff) breath outside of very specific instances and only for payers that have solid breathing fundamentals. Inhaling through the nose leads to lifting and tensing of the back of the mouth & throat.

And yes, you must release the chops and open the mouth to breath in.

relaxation-good, tension-bad.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct nose inhalation is not "sniffing".

One can also inhale through nose AND mouth for quicker breaths.

Always use nose inhalation and only add mouth inhalation if you need extra high flow inhalation. This is usually rare for most music.

Nose inhalation filters and warms the air. Gives a mentally calming effect, resulting in a more relaxed mental state. We are designed to inhale through the nose.

Mouth inhalation increases mental tension and excitability.

Quote:
Inhaling through the nose leads to lifting and tensing of the back of the mouth & throat.

Nose breathing requires no such "tensing".
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:

...There are no "benefits" to inhaling with a particular syllable...
There are if one either thinks there are, or has come to believe it via years of doing so. The mind can be a strange thing... One would be stupid to stop doing what has worked for him/her. I'm not in favor of absolutes when discussing what one feels, imagines, or imagines what one imagines...

Adding something to what already works is intelligent. I have no problems with breathing through the nose and do it regularly in some situations, in fact, I try to breathe though both at the same time to aid in my concept of a full and open breathing apparatus. Good luck, OP, with your endeavors.
jbmusicschool

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
Quote:
I'd like to be able to keep the mouthpiece set while I breath, but when I do I lose all the benefits of breathing with these syllables.

Simple solution: inhale through the nose.

There are no "benefits" to inhaling with a particular syllable. Nose inhalation allows you to have the embouchure, oral and tongue posture ready to go with no adjustment before you start the tone..

Amen brother! I use this method when working with students who are doing some really strange set up before they play. Ex. separating their lips too far.

thanks for the post!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: