• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Teaching BE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larrios
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, again!

Yesterday, I taught one of my students. I've been working with him on BE for a while already, but he has a hard time to get the hang of it. He is over 60 years old, started playing about 5 years ago, has a very busy job and social life, travels a lot and plays mainly for fun and relaxation. If he can find time for one practise session a day, I'm already very happy.

So far, I used the BE as a warm up. This is how it is presented in the book and it's also how I've been using it myself. Yesterday, however, I started an experiment with this student. Since he has difficulty with the physically demanding excersises, I told him to no longer use it as a warm up at the beginning of his practise session, but to end his practise session with BE.

So far, almost everything I read on this forum has been about doing BE once, as a warm up, and forget about it for the rest of the day. First BE, than music. What I suggested to him yesterday was the opposite: first music, than BE.

We don't all have the luxury to be able to practise trumpet in several sessions each day. In his case, I find it the most important that he enjoys himself making music. At the end of his practise session, it will still be hard for him to do the excersises, at this point, but at least he had fun already, plus he has the time to relax and let the movements sink in till the next day. (Personally, I do this with the Lip Clamp as well. I do it before I go to bed, not at the beginning of the day.)

I don't have a lot of teaching experience yet and I also don't have a lot of students yet, so I cannot let you know the results of this experiment quickly. Also, I teach him once every two weeks at the moment, so it will take some weeks/months. I am just curious about what other teachers at this forum think about this. Have you tried it? What were your results? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Ko
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post, Ko

.. and a good topic.

I agree with you. If you only have one session pr day (or even less) - start easy with perhaps the Adam leadpipe - then play some music - then do B.E.

Aprops teaching - Gunnar, the guy I met recently had a newer book than mine. I noticed that the Roll-In #3 was different from that in my book (from 2001). A slur down from G over staff to E, then back up to G then the exercise as it is in my book (down and up). I've tried it and I think it is better to establish the movement by this (G-E-G as a prepatory).

Perhaps Jeff could say something about it?

Ole

P.S.
I do B.E. in the morning, every day, here at work. In the evening I practice music, go to rehearsals or play gigs.
HJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Sorry, I do not agree. Most students have limited practice time. I have been giving this a lot of thought lately, because I am getting frustrated by the fact that so many students of mine practice so little and therefore accomplish so little. What I did to the notoriously bad ones is that I suggested that they play and practice four times a week, hmmmmmm, yes I know it's bad, but that's how it is, for 20 minutes to 30 minutes, preferably in two sessions, during the commercial break on television. Just to establish a bit of routine I suggested they do BE for five minutes. Just start with that and after that play some music. I am very experienced as a teacher and I know that if they have played music, they just do not do the exercises anymore. I am very certain of this.

And there is another reason why I tend to disagree. With the focused warm-up you set up your lips in a particular way. You benefit from this whole day long, or, for that matter, the rest of your practice session. Also if your playing is not yet balanced.

I agree, though, that doing it afterwards is better than not doing it at all. And I see a bit of musical logic in having a bit of fun with your instrument. I suggested this to you a year ago, Ko:

First play some licks, a little nice song or whatever, fool around a bit, just for fun, just to know why you are doing this in the first place. Do it for about five minutes. Then practice BE as long as you have time for it, and then play some music. BE does not nessecarily have to take more than ten minutes. I do it for about forty minutes, but I have a lot of practice time.
Isn't this a nice compromise?

Bert
Larrios
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bert,

Thanks for your nice reply. You made good and clear points.

<<<And there is another reason why I tend to disagree. With the focused warm-up you set up your lips in a particular way. You benefit from this whole day long, or, for that matter, the rest of your practice session. Also if your playing is not yet balanced.>>>

Yes, I'm aware of this. I am going to think of restructuring his lesson plan. If he doesn't feel better after some weeks with what I suggested, I think the next option would indeed be to have him do BE just for 5 minutes or so and follow your suggestions. Your alarm clock plan comes in here again as well. The thing with this guy is that I find it very hard to convince him that it's so easy to overdo it. (I understand it though. I still have to use a timer myself to limit my practise time to not force things.) That was another reason of putting the BE after the music, as he would simply have less time to do the excersises.

I still have your email with that long lesson plan you made me back then. It has been very valuable for me to put me back on track again. It is indeed a nice compromise, but what makes me think a lot about my teaching approach as well is what are the actual goals of my student. I believe everyone wants to improve, but, as strange as it might sound, some more than others. This doesn't refer to him by the way, he is serious about doing BE, but more in general. It keeps me busy for quite a big amount of time, how I can provide the best tools for their individual wishes and still make development smooth. It's difficult already with only a few students, it's hard to imagine what it will be like with 40 kids a week. I can't wait though, it's a lot of fun as well. Not to mention rewarding.

Ko
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: