• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

seeking high-level jazz trumpet instruction (Houston TX)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
glove_of_power

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: seeking high-level jazz trumpet instruction (Houston TX) Reply with quote

I'm interested in having some one on one lessons with a trumpet instructor. I live in Houston Texas and of course it would be ideal to find someone here who could teach in person but Skype would work too. I'm 35 and a well-developed player at this point, been playing all my life. What I want to improve upon is my improvisation mainly. Running changes, creativity, thinking about chords, substitutions, all that kind of stuff. I might be best served seeking out someone who chiefly plays piano really, but it's been ages since I've had a proper lesson with a trumpet instructor who "speaks my lauguage" and who could call me out specifically on where I could work on my fundamentals with regard to our instrument since I probably have gotten lax with any number of things I should be paying attention to. Anyone on here from Houston or know a guy? Thanks in advance.
1911 Holton Collegiate Cornet
1950s Couesnon Flugel
Rickperon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe seek out Eddie Lewis, very fine all-around trumpet player, wonderful creative improvisationist. Super nice cat.

http://eltigredo.com/blog/2014/07/06/trumpet-live-video-is-now-published/
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should contact the AFM office in Houston and ask
them to have DENNIS DOTSON get in touch with you.
Dennis is far and away, hands down, the best guy
for what you are looking for.
No offense to any other trumpet player in Houston
but Dennis is way above anyone else in that town.
He teaches jazz trumpet at the University of Texas
in Austin but he lives in Houston.
And he is a very nice guy, very modest about
his amazing talent and very sincere in his teaching.
Trust me, Dennis is the guy you need.

Last edited by homecookin on Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This
llangston1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would second Eddie. He got me started on my comeback with several lessons a few months ago. He is a very nice guy and has a band that plays occasionally at a downtown Jazz Club.
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

llangston1 wrote:
I would second Eddie. He got me started on my comeback with several lessons a few months ago. He is a very nice guy and has a band that plays occasionally at a downtown Jazz Club.

If you're referring to the Big Band that plays at the House of Blues in downtown
Houston...
Joel Fulgham ( drummer ) is the leader of that band.
He put the whole thing together.
llangston1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Eddie has his own small jazz group that plays at Cezanne down on Montrose. I think there are some youtube videos of him playing there. He does a lot of religious/church type playing as well. I chose Eddie because he lived down near the Clear Lake area where I live. Depending where you live you might want or find someone closer to your area given the Houston traffic.
llangston1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Eddie has his own small jazz group that plays at Cezanne down on Montrose. I think there are some youtube videos of him playing there. He does a lot of religious/church type playing as well.
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend both Dennis and Eddie, really you would be well served to take some lessons from both of them. I can give you their contact information in a PM of you don't have it already. Who are you by the way? I know most of the regulars here in the Houston area despite no longer being in music full time; however, it's always great to meet someone new...
glove_of_power

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to everyone for the input! Homecookin I managed to find Dennis' contact info and sent him an email asking if he'd be available to give me some instruction. Showing up with the handle "MrClean" sealed the deal, hahah, I'm a big fan of Freddie Hubbard and that tune in particular gets played and/or quoted in pieces among my groups often.

Who are you, that's sort of a humorous question, haha! Bike&Ed (or anyone) feel free to PM me if you want to chat me up. My name's John and I moved to Houston six years back from Chicago. I have made admittedly zero effort to explore the scene here, mostly because I'm a worthless lazybones loungeabout, but also because I gigged like crazy in Chicago and really just got burnt out on cons of gigging. I do go out and listen but I've never tried to network or participate. I'm an engineer by trade. These days I devote all my time to home recording and I really get off on that. Everyone comes to my living room, I set the time and pick the players and the songs, we can be as experimental as we want with no audience to please. I'm gotten tremendously comfortable with this routine and the results just keep getting better. I also have a strange penchant for electronics/effects pedals so if I play in my living room that means I don't have to schlep anything (see lazyness above). I'm an okay player but I know I could get a lot better if I worked at it and had some guidance. You can look me up on youtube by searching for "Microcosmologist", that's my channel. There is a nice extended version of Mr Clean up there

Llangston1 I should go check out Eddie's group at Cezanne sometime. What name do they go by?
1911 Holton Collegiate Cornet
1950s Couesnon Flugel
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis Dotson.
George Chase

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Houston and highly recommend both Dennis and Eddie. You would be in good hands with either one. Why not have a few lessons with both, see how things go?
llangston1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what Eddie's band is called. I just got postcards from him letting me know he was going to play there. There are some youtube videos of some of his gigs at that club.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: