• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

University of Maryland

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpet1998

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject: University of Maryland Reply with quote

Hi,
I am a senior in high school and I am in the process of deciding what school to go to. I have heard great things about university of Maryland and Chris Gekker and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about the music department there and Chris Gekker as a teacher. Thanks
Insensato
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I sent you a PM!
annefmoreno

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The University of Maryland, College Park (often referred to as The University of Maryland, Maryland, UM, UMD, UMCP, or College Park) is a public research universitylocated in the city of College Park in Prince George's County, Maryland, approximately 4 miles (6.4 km) from the northeast border of Washington, D.C. Founded in 1856, the university is the flagship institution of the University System of Maryland. With a fall 2010 enrollment of more than 37,000 students, over 100 undergraduate majors, and 120 graduate programs, Maryland is the largest university in the state and the largest in the Washington Metropolitan Area.
polishedbrassva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: University of Maryland Reply with quote

Chris is an amazing player, very insightful and dedicated teacher and a really good guy. I just started studying with him and am finding him to be one of the bet teachers I've had (and I've studied with some greats!)

What are your weaknesses and what kind of playing do you see yourself doing over the next 3-10 years? I ask because in addition to Chris Gekker, Chris Vadala runs a great jazz program at the school.

A bonus is being near the vibrant music scene in DC. Our awesome Military bands (Marine Band, Navy, Army Bands and their associated jazz bands - US Airforce Airmen of Note, Navy Commodores, Army Blues) National Symphony Orchestra, countless chamber music organizations and performances, small venue clubs (Blues Alley, The Hamilton, The Birchmere) and larger but still intimate theaters including Strathmore, etc. Make for great touring artists coming though all the time.

Amazing Trumpet talent in the area - unmatched per capita anywhere in the US.

Final bonus - you're 3 hours by ($100 or less roundtrip) bus to NYC - easy access without the hassle of living there!

Michael

Trumpet1998 wrote:
Hi,
I am a senior in high school and I am in the process of deciding what school to go to. I have heard great things about university of Maryland and Chris Gekker and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about the music department there and Chris Gekker as a teacher. Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: