• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Caruso or Flexus version / different mouthpieces?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Caruso or Flexus version / different mouthpieces? Reply with quote

I have a couple of questions about using Caruso exercises that I'm sure are fairly common and have been addressed in earlier threads--but I couldn't find them. I'd be grateful for an answer to the following, or a link to a previous discussion:

1) I'm finding the exercises in Flexus to be easy to understand and follow, though I also have the Caruso book and the Bob Findley book. If I just use the Flexus will I be covering all the same material as the Caruso book and get the same results?

2) Like many people, I have a smaller mouthpiece for playing loud and high commercial, lead and latin music, and a larger one for playing jazz and classical music in bands and orchestras. I do all of my practicing during the day on the mouthpiece that I know I'll be using later in the day. This includes the Flexus/Caruso exercises. On a brass quintet day, I'll use the bigger mouthpiece, and on a big-band lead day I'll use the smaller one.

It comes out to almost half and half, alternating the two mouthpieces each day. I can comfortably complete all of my routines on either mouthpiece, but am I getting the same benefit that I would if I just use one?
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, Flexus is an evolved version of the Caruso routine. I don't think I would get as much benefit from it if I hadn't done Caruso before though.

The end goals are very similar so barring specific chop issues I'd say go ahead with Flexus (and ideally take some lessons with someone who studied under Laurie Frink - guidance with the materials really helps).

As far as horn/mouthpiece, I'd say your routine sounds pretty reasonable. The idea behind all of these materials to build a physical setup that is capable of doing whatever is needed for the music. You don't want only only one of your "two setups" to be in sync without the other also working in the same way.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the two books are complementary. I also have found that Flexus works better if introduced after someone has worked through MCFB up to the point where they have worked through all of the interval studies & are on the chart that shows the intervals in a daily rotation. Using Flexus exercises to replace the other things in MCFB as a supplement to the interval studies is great. Sort of like the way Carmine used the Baerrmann book, Clarke studies, etc. However, I don't find anything in Flexus that is equivalent to the interval studies (including LSL & SLS) and to me those are still a cornerstone of the approach.

As far as the mouthpiece thing goes (and I'm not saying I believe this, but I'm channeling what I heard Carmine state several times to others)...

If you want to play equally well on both mouthpieces you should do your entire calisthenic routine on both mouthpieces every day. If you want to play equally well on Bb, C, cornet, flugelhorn, etc. You should do the calisthenics on each instrument equally every day. This may not be realistic, but in an ideal world...
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the helpful answer.

I will add the Caruso interval studies to the Flexus routine that I am doing. I will also repeat the exercises with the other mouthpiece. (I've had lots of time to practice lately).

I haven't missed a day for months and feel really secure and strong from doing these.

I also do 20 minutes or so of Gordon-like pedal tones, which are a huge challenge to me. I'm finally getting a decent pedal C after all these years.
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Pat said, ...in an ideal world..." I had a fairly heavy playing schedule that included commercial and orchestral work. Carmine's suggestion to me was to play each interval study in the rotation on a different instrument ( C trumpet, D trumpet, Bb, flugel,). That way, I got some almost daily exposure to each. Otherwise, besides work, I played the Bb for practicing.

I can't comment on the mouthpiece switching, I'm a one mouthpiece kinda guy except for going a little shallower for the higher-pitched trumpets.

Alan
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not disagree with the above posts. I do feel there is a limited amount of the pure Caruso Rules and Philosophy in Flexus.

Therefore, to really get the pure Caruso experience, minimally the Interval Studies in MCFB must come first and be completed and cycled through a few times.

Flexus is complicated compared to the eloquent simplicity of the Caruso Method.

Having said that, I worked very hard on Flexus and elevated my playing overall. Then I got lazy and it went away!!

Cheers,

Gordon Stump
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: