• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Strad vs Carol, top of staff

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Strad vs Carol, top of staff Reply with quote

I was practicing last night, with my old model 37 and a 1D megatone. After a good warmup I was working on Watermelon Man, which starts on a top staff F. I was having a little trouble hitting that note just right, cleanly. I switched to my Carolbrass 5000 (same mpc) and nailed it every time.

I don't think of the Strad as particularly stuffy or resistant in comparison, and that's not a high note anyway- I'm wondering what's going on?
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Strad vs Carol, top of staff Reply with quote

BGinNJ wrote:
I was practicing last night, with my old model 37 and a 1D megatone. After a good warmup I was working on Watermelon Man, which starts on a top staff F. I was having a little trouble hitting that note just right, cleanly. I switched to my Carolbrass 5000 (same mpc) and nailed it every time.

I don't think of the Strad as particularly stuffy or resistant in comparison, and that's not a high note anyway- I'm wondering what's going on?

I'm inclined to say it's either the Megatone, which can be a stuffy mouthpiece, or just the fact that one Bach 37 will slot differently from the next Bach 37. Just might not be an easy slotting note on that particular 37.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just seems your Carol Brass fits YOUR mouthpiece better than the Bach... It doesn't really mean a thing, apart from that.

cheers

Andy
ruotjoh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There could be hundreds of reasons why you miss the pitch center of top staff F on your Bach. Do you spend equal amount of time on both horns? Maybe you're just more familiar with how your Carolbrass plays.

Anyway, if you think that there's something wrong with your Bach I would check the gap and valve alignment first.
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I know it's not a stuffy mpc, it's huge, more open than any others I use, and it's my main one now. One possibility I'm thinking of is the Carol has a reversed leadpipe and a .460 bore, vs. the Strad stock 25 pipe and .459 bore. I play the Carol maybe 75% of the time, but the Strad is like an old pair of shoes to me, though it is in good playing shape. The differences I noticed before were mostly a lighter, brighter, broader tone, and easier higher up.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Strad vs Carol, top of staff Reply with quote

BGinNJ wrote:

Hi BGinNJ

I wonder whether this is either a mouthpiece gap issue or a tuning issue, maybe it is both since varying gap affects intonation. It could even just be the position of your tuning slide.

Considering intonation, if this note centres sharp or flat compared to how you are hearing it in your head just before it sounds, you may try to produce it off centre, making it harder to hit cleanly.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always found the F on the top of the staff to be slippery on my Bach 37s. The one I played for many years from 1972 and the newer, circa 2010, one I play now. I always thought it was me.

Back in my early days here on TH I found that others also found this particular note to be slippery.

When I consulted with Dick Akright he thought it might be gap and when we increased the gap I found it was better, but not like the other notes on the horn.

I shipped my newer strad off to Osmun to have that issue addressed since they replied to one of my posts saying they could help with it.

I don't have any issues with it now.

If Osmun wishes to explain what they did I will let them, otherwise I won't reveal the magician's secrets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: