• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lip Squeak Recordings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjwhitis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Does anyone have a recording of the BE lip squeaks and also of the hiss? It would be great to hear someone else to see if I'm on the right track.

James
HJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James,

The sound is exactly like a balloon that says PEEEEEEEP. This high and this timbre. It almost feels this way too. If I were a balloon......
For the rest, just follow the instructions in the book and you'll be fine. Look at the pictures!!!!

Bert
jjwhitis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bert,

Thanks for the reply. The balloon analogy is certainly one I can remember. I have not, as of yet, been able to quite replicate that, but I'm working on it.

James
Bruce Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, James!

I guess that you'll want to think more along the lines of a weather balloon, for trombone.

The "lip squeak" is more about letting corner tension go, and combining that with the bunched chin. *As a side note, none of this can compare to that of the fine art of "girning"... a Canadian national pastime!

This should be quite obvious, but practicing in front of a mirror is very, very helpful.

I think that OJ can help a bit, here, but the range and motion of the lip clamp/lip clamp squeak will not be as extreme as on the trombone. What is more critical, as mentioned, is releasing the muscle tension at the corners of your lips. If you think of a "pout", that is helpful, too.

Glad to see you here... it's been a while since Mobile!

Best always,
Bruce
LFRoberts5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of trombones check out Bill Waltrous and his bunched chin.

http://www.mnsfld.edu/news/story/default.cfm?SID=264
jjwhitis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce,

Hello! Thanks for remembering me, it's been a while. I had a great time in Mobile. Everyone was so friendly. I have exchanged emails with Ole concerning the lip clamp and squeaks. He was quite helpful and a unique person to talk to since he also plays other instruments. I've also read many of Lex Grantham's posts on the trumpet herald which have been very helpful.

You're right, I'm finding that the BE set seems a little more relaxed on trombone than on trumpet. It may just be because of the larger mouthpiece, I don't know. I'm going for the High F (comparable to the trumpet G) on the roll - in exercise and it is a bit elusive. I am working at it consistently though and hope to nail it down. The times that it seems to lock in I'm afraid are too much like my old embouchure. I feel the corners firming and have to make myself stop and come back to the horn later. During those times that I can keep the corners relaxed, I can go up and touch a double Bb on trombone. I have never been able to do that before without excessive mouthpiece pressure.

If I remember right, there was a copy of the BE on your table at Mobile. I sort of thumbed through it and that was my first exposure to Jeff Smiley's method, other than having discovered his web site earlier and book marking it on my computer. I bought the book a month or so later. I'm glad I saw it and it's good to talk with you!

Lloyd,

I have seen that picture of Watrous before. He is surely a great example of the bunched chin. Thanks for the link.

Have a great day everyone!

James
TXBD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,

Glad to see a trombone player I know is using this. I've been really pleased with the results I've gotten with some beginners, but it's all still in the early stages. Let's get together at TMEA and talk BE! Also, keep us all posted on your findings as they relate to BE on trombone.

Billy Marquis
jjwhitis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Billy,

I have also been pleased with my progress. Send me an email to let me know where you will be at TMEA and we can get together.

James
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: