• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Favorite trumpet/flugel case?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Favorite trumpet/flugel case? Reply with quote

I'm looking to get a case for my trumpet and flugel. I'd like to be able to keep mutes and accessories in the case as well.

I'd like something protective, but doesn't have to be a flight case.

What do you guys use/recommend?
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at the Gard case and Protec Mike Vax

I like the idea of wheels, but that's not the most important feature. Protection, mutes and accessories, and good fit are most important.

Thanks guys
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Bags of Spain that I really like. It has backpack straps ans wheels. There is a music pocket on the outside. Inside, there is an accessory compartment that lifts up under where the flugel sits. However, the accessory area is not deep enough for mutes.
JJMDestino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Protec case. My Kanstul 1525 flugelhorn just barely fits in it. The outer zipper pocket fits a full size folder plus pencils, metronome, and oils/grease. There is not really room for mutes. For that I clip a protec mute bag on to the ring on the case. My biggest gripe is that with the mute bag attached it doesn't like to stay upright. The feet on the bottom are too narrow. However it's not a problem if the mute bag isn't attached. The wheels and handle are nice. It saves putting that weight on your shoulder.
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patdublc wrote:
I have a Bags of Spain that I really like. It has backpack straps ans wheels. There is a music pocket on the outside. Inside, there is an accessory compartment that lifts up under where the flugel sits. However, the accessory area is not deep enough for mutes.

Trying to find this online, not having luck. Can you post a link please?

Thanks!
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flugel, trumpet, plus multiple mutes and other stuff is going to be huge.

I have a Walt Johnson trumpet/flugel and a Torpedo Coyote. Both hold the two horns, two Spider stands, one mute, and a few accessories (mouthpiece pouch, oil, pencils, a few rags or polishing cloths). The Coyote can be reconfigured to hold a picc as well but then doesn't hold a mute or stands.

There is an optional mute bag for the Coyote that holds all the mutes I need on a regular basis -- unless the picc is in the case. But then I need another bag for the stands anyway.

The Coyote also has a music pouch which will hold 8.5" by 11" parts and paper folders, but not large parts or big folders.

I like both cases and deal with the storage limitations.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Reunion Blues Continental Triple. Flugel, trumpet, and all my mutes and accessories fit comfortably in a light and protective case. Strongly recommended if you don't need a hard case.
gchun01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walt Johnson trumpet/flugelhorn combo case. With some careful packing, I can get the following in it:

Bb trumpet
Flugel
Harmon mute
Cup mute
Straight mute
Plunger
Two spider stands
Mouthpiece pouch (roll for 4 mouthpieces)
Small stuff like metronome, earplugs, pencils, flash recorder.

Although I often use a Kensington saddlebag for the loose items, including an iPad Pro 12.9" and blueetooth pedal, and EZ bucket mute.

It's a shame Walt closed shop. I think this was consistently his best case.

Here's another Bags of Spain case, rebranded by Stomvi that looks interesting:

http://stomvi-usa.com/shop/trumpet-casesstomvi-quad/

Also, the upcoming Torpedo Coyote looks interesting. I particularly like that there will be a model, no leather/nylon covering, with latches.
Ed Hernandez
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the Protec Mike Vax w/wheels for over 4-5 years now and I'm very happy with it. Trumpet / Flugel stands inside the bell fits just fine. However, there's no room for mutes. I have a separate mute bag that I attach to the outside of it easily rolling into any gig with little effort. Priceless...!
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the Protec Mike Vax and the Bags of Spain. The Mike Vax is relatively inexpensive and quite compact. However, if you have a trigger on the third valve slide on your flugelhorn, be careful. When using it with my Yamaha with a trigger, it tweaked the third valve slide slide because when the horn is in the case, it rests on the trigger mechanism. I went down to the factory and showed them the problem and recommended a simple fix which would work with any flugelhorn with or without thr trigger. They blew me off. Also, the Mike Vax case won't work with a flugelhorn with a bell much larger than a Yamaha or Couesnon.

The Bags of Spain works great with my Adams flugelhorn with the large bell. The case is very well made but considerably larger than the Mike Vax case.
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several of the ProTec combo cases, including a Vax, and they're probably as good as you need. My ZKF-1525 lives in one. Combo cases are all a bit different, and they all handle specific combinations of horns differently. But among the others, I like the Thomann combo case - smaller than a ProTec, light, seems to be about equally protective, and it's one of the few that can handle an Ogilbee Thumpet in the flugel side. A WolfPak is a good bet as well, although the zipper arrangement is more irritating than the ProTec. And, of course, when it's worth taking the time to reconfigure the thing, the Wiseman is always great. When size and weight aren't an issue, a Walt Johnson is very strong although I'd prefer more cushioning on the inside. I do have all of these, but I could easily get by with the ProTecs.
LaserJim

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity wrote:

Jon Ruff in the Stomvi video says "Bags of Spain, or Musical Bags". That must be these guys: http://www.musical-bags.com/gb/86-trumpet

Looks nice. I was leaning towards the Reunion Blues Continental for a Trumpet/Flugel/mutes combination, but with this case able to fit my French Horn too (as shown in the Stomvi video), that's very interesting to me.

Another thread on TH about this case: http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=126016&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

No price or dealers on the Bags of Spain site though, and I haven't seen them elsewhere while searching. I think I'll contact them direct.

Cheers,
James
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a gig bag, I like my Gard Triple Leather bag - versitile and snug protection. Leather better than the synthetic cover. Though not a ton of extra space. If you put a music folder in the external pocket/pouch the hand carry starps don't meet but over the shoulder is fine.

Messina Covers, www.messinacovers.net, offer a couple of different designs - very good stuff - one cool design is the large pocket/sleeve on the outside bottom that holds a full sized music folder without extra pressure on your instuments or loss of space. Affordable and costumizable - excellent folks.

Pro Tec Vax case is great if your Flugel fits (Yamaha's do, Bach's with a trigger don't - others I have no experience with) - holds a Flugel and Trumpet or Trumpet and smaller trumpet with a little extra padding (cornet or picc), or one trumpet and mutes. This case is small enough to use as a "carry on".
And the outside pocket is big enough to hold a music folder - an excellent bonus.

Pro Tecs Flugel/Trumpet dougle is an excellent case for larger Flugels (not all) and those with 3rd valve triggers.. but is a pretty large case - almost as big as my Pro Tec 4 trumpet-quad.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Anybody use "Brass Bags" out of U.K.??

This one looks cool:
http://www.brassbags.co.uk/premier-bags/premier-flugel-trumpet-gig-bag.html

I like that mutes and such fit in that slot over your flugelhorn and there is a big zippered area for big books and charts.

No wheels though, but backpack straps.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a Protec Trumpet/Flugel Combo Pro Pac Instrument Case. It's protective, not too big, not too expensive, and my horns fit. No wheels or room for mutes, but I keep my mutes and other supplies in a separate bag, so that wasn't an issue for me.
Piccolo Stomvi
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity wrote:
patdublc wrote:

Thanks!

http://www.musical-bags.com/es/ is the weblink but I no longer see the trumpet/flugel combination on their website. Maybe it has been discontinued.
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patdublc wrote:
trumpet.sanity wrote:
patdublc wrote:

Thanks!

http://www.musical-bags.com/es/ is the weblink but I no longer see the trumpet/flugel combination on their website. Maybe it has been discontinued.

Thanks for the link. I didn't see a combo case either. Or maybe I just can't navigate the site in Spanish. Can I press 1 for English?!?!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the Reunion Blues Triple Case since the mid 1980's (first one was Canvas, current one is Leather) and I've worked and traveled all over the world with my horns in them without any damage ever.

I'm not sure if the model I have is made anymore, but it's great in that it can carry a Bb Trumpet, Flugel and a bunch of Mutes, or a Bb Trumpet, Flugel and Piccolo Trumpet, and it will fit under the seat of an airliner.

Just checked the Reunion Blues Website and they do still offer it in their Vintage section. It's now $529.95! Yikes! I think I paid around $300 or $400 for the one I have now (bought around 1999 or so). I guess everything's gone up since then.

http://reunionblues.com/product/95/580-15-29

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
I've been using the Reunion Blues Triple Case since the mid 1980's (first one was Canvas, current one is Leather) and I've worked and traveled all over the world with my horns in them without any damage ever.

I'm not sure if the model I have is made anymore, but it's great in that it can carry a Bb Trumpet, Flugel and a bunch of Mutes, or a Bb Trumpet, Flugel and Piccolo Trumpet, and it will fit under the seat of an airliner.

Just checked the Reunion Blues Website and they do still offer it in their Vintage section. It's now $529.95! Yikes! I think I paid around $300 or $400 for the one I have now (bought around 1999 or so). I guess everything's gone up since then.

http://reunionblues.com/product/95/580-15-29

Best wishes,

John Mohan

Thanks John, I was looking at one on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Reunion-Blues-Leather-Gig-Bag-Trumpet-/152314854067?hash=item2376ac3ab3:g:p1oAAOSw44BYJmVn

Can't tell if it's a double or a triple though. But I like the color 😬
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity wrote:
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Anybody use "Brass Bags" out of U.K.??

This one looks cool:
http://www.brassbags.co.uk/premier-bags/premier-flugel-trumpet-gig-bag.html

I like that mutes and such fit in that slot over your flugelhorn and there is a big zippered area for big books and charts.

No wheels though, but backpack straps.

I use that bag - it is amazing. It's like a black hole that holds everything you can think of. Goes on planes, not too heavy. Kind of the perfect case. Though I will admit the Stomvi/Bags of Spain case looks nice too.

johnlakejazz.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: