• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Favorite trumpet/flugel case?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gchun01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is a triple: (not to be confused with a Super Triple that fits 3 full sized Bbs)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reunion-Blues-Triple-Trumpet-Gig-Bag-/182360360079?hash=item2a7586448f:g:KRwAAOSwXeJYJEQc

Fits Trumpet, flugel and pic or mutes. I've had both cordura and leather. The leather one definitely lasts longer and offer a bit more protection.

I've never seen the leather one listed in an earlier post. I think it might be a full double.

If you're looking for new, Trent Austin carries one:

http://austincustombrass.mybigcommerce.com/reunion-blues-croc-leather-triple-trumpet-gig-bag/
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakejw wrote:
trumpet.sanity wrote:
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Anybody use "Brass Bags" out of U.K.??

This one looks cool:
http://www.brassbags.co.uk/premier-bags/premier-flugel-trumpet-gig-bag.html

I like that mutes and such fit in that slot over your flugelhorn and there is a big zippered area for big books and charts.

No wheels though, but backpack straps.

I use that bag - it is amazing. It's like a black hole that holds everything you can think of. Goes on planes, not too heavy. Kind of the perfect case. Though I will admit the Stomvi/Bags of Spain case looks nice too.

Is it completely soft sided, or is there any other protection? For my needs, and wants, it looks awesome. I like the idea ok keeping all my mutes, cleaning stuff, horns, and an area for an iPad, or thin laptops.
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for new, Trent Austin carries one:

http://austincustombrass.mybigcommerce.com/reunion-blues-croc-leather-triple-trumpet-gig-bag/[/quote]

Thanks man. Very cool looking leather. I think I have a pair of shoes and belt from the 70s that migh match that bag.

Dyn-O-Mite!!!!!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
I've been using the Reunion Blues Triple Case since the mid 1980's (first one was Canvas, current one is Leather) and I've worked and traveled all over the world with my horns in them without any damage ever.

I'm not sure if the model I have is made anymore, but it's great in that it can carry a Bb Trumpet, Flugel and a bunch of Mutes, or a Bb Trumpet, Flugel and Piccolo Trumpet, and it will fit under the seat of an airliner.

Just checked the Reunion Blues Website and they do still offer it in their Vintage section. It's now $529.95! Yikes! I think I paid around $300 or $400 for the one I have now (bought around 1999 or so). I guess everything's gone up since then.

http://reunionblues.com/product/95/580-15-29

Best wishes,

John Mohan

Thanks John, I was looking at one on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Reunion-Blues-Leather-Gig-Bag-Trumpet-/152314854067?hash=item2376ac3ab3:g:p1oAAOSw44BYJmVn

Can't tell if it's a double or a triple though. But I like the color 😬

You're welcome. The bag you referenced on eBay is definitely not a Triple or a Super Triple. If it's a trumpet bag I think it's probably a double.
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity,

The RB case you referenced on eBay looks like an older version of the "doubler's" bag (model 582). Meant to hold a flugle and trumpet side by side with a divider in between. They came with a padded shelf to separate the trumpet from some mutes. It's a little more compact than the triple. Not sure if it's made anymore.

Looks like the eBay case is missing the divider and shelf.
jazzjams

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Protec. Lightweight, strong and protective. Reasonably priced and stylish.
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
I've been using the Reunion Blues Triple Case since the mid 1980's (first one was Canvas, current one is Leather) and I've worked and traveled all over the world with my horns in them without any damage ever.

I'm not sure if the model I have is made anymore, but it's great in that it can carry a Bb Trumpet, Flugel and a bunch of Mutes, or a Bb Trumpet, Flugel and Piccolo Trumpet, and it will fit under the seat of an airliner.

Just checked the Reunion Blues Website and they do still offer it in their Vintage section. It's now $529.95! Yikes! I think I paid around $300 or $400 for the one I have now (bought around 1999 or so). I guess everything's gone up since then.

http://reunionblues.com/product/95/580-15-29

Best wishes,

John Mohan

Actually that "vintage" case is not the same as the original Reunion Blues triple bag. I have both the Cordura and leather original bags. My leather bag is the super triple which is larger than the standard bag. I was able to pick it out from the San Francisco factory and it is one of the last three black leather super triple bags the factory made before the original factory was sold.

The man who designed the original cases was Glen Chronkite. He left Reunion Blues after it was sold and opened his own company in the San Francisco Bay Area and is making those original cases.

By the way, if you insert a piece of 1/8 inch hardboard in the outside sleeves/pockets of the Cronkite triple bag, you will have the light weight and practicality of a gig bag and the protection of a hard case.
gchun01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, Glenn just retired from the gig bag making business.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gchun01 wrote:
Walt Johnson trumpet/flugelhorn combo case. With some careful packing, I can get the following in it:

Bb trumpet
Flugel
Harmon mute
Cup mute
Straight mute
Plunger
Two spider stands
Mouthpiece pouch (roll for 4 mouthpieces)
Small stuff like metronome, earplugs, pencils, flash recorder.

Although I often use a Kensington saddlebag for the loose items, including an iPad Pro 12.9" and blueetooth pedal, and EZ bucket mute.

It's a shame Walt closed shop. I think this was consistently his best case.

Here's another Bags of Spain case, rebranded by Stomvi that looks interesting:

http://stomvi-usa.com/shop/trumpet-casesstomvi-quad/

Also, the upcoming Torpedo Coyote looks interesting. I particularly like that there will be a model, no leather/nylon covering, with latches.

I love my Walt Johnson. I don't usually stuff it, use a mute bag, but it is possible to get everything you need into it.
F.E. Olds Nut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently switched from a RB Continental Triple to a nylon Glenn Chronkite Super Triple. Both are excellent cases. I was able to fit a Bb, large flugel (Getzen Custom) plus straight, harmon, cup, plunger and stands in both, with the Continental being a little more tight.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the ultimate in protection I use a Nanuk 935 case, the type of moulded, heavy-duty, water-tight case made for camera equipment and electronics.

It's heavy but it has wheels and a telescoping handle. With the foam-and-Velcro lining it will accommodate a trumpet and flugel in togas. The fit is snug but protective for that reason.

Here's a link to the Nanuk website: https://www.nanuk.com/nanuk-935-2/

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions, gentlemen. Who knew there was such a big market for these cases??
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently use a pelican 1510. The padding that came with it works fine to separate the Bb from the flugelhorn. I stuff my mutes in there as well. I've been using it for about 3 years and no mishaps.

Jim Hatfield's Nanuk case is a similar solution. I think the Nanuk looks better to be honest. I like the Nanuk handles more than the Pelican handles.

I've also used a Marcus Bona triple for trumpet and flugelhorn. Lighter than the Pelican/Nanuk cases. Not as indestructible.

And I've had a Reunion Blues small triple. The lightest and least protective of the three but I never had a problem with damage while using it.
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for everybody's advice. I'm trying to be thrifty, and gonna buy a case today, and see if I can save a buck or two on a Black Friday sale.

Think I'm gonna buy the Brass Bags trumpet/flugelhorn case. To be able to carry everything is appealing to me. Looks sturdy and compact enough for my needs. And backpack straps should be enough. I guess I don't need wheels..

Thanks again folks, hope everybody is recovering from over eating, over drinking, and arguing politics with families at their Thanksgiving dinner!!
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of sounding like a Nanuk salesman (which I'm not) the Nanuk 935 is down to $149 vs $359 for the Brass Bags.

The Nanuk is 4 pounds heavier but it's virtually indestructible, watertight, airline approved, can be padlocked, has room for a few mutes if carefully positioned around trumpet and flugel (which need to be in togas). And it has wheels!

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
gchun01 wrote:
Walt Johnson trumpet/flugelhorn combo case. With some careful packing, I can get the following in it:

Bb trumpet
Flugel
Harmon mute
Cup mute
Straight mute
Plunger
Two spider stands
Mouthpiece pouch (roll for 4 mouthpieces)
Small stuff like metronome, earplugs, pencils, flash recorder.

Although I often use a Kensington saddlebag for the loose items, including an iPad Pro 12.9" and blueetooth pedal, and EZ bucket mute.

It's a shame Walt closed shop. I think this was consistently his best case.

Here's another Bags of Spain case, rebranded by Stomvi that looks interesting:

http://stomvi-usa.com/shop/trumpet-casesstomvi-quad/

Also, the upcoming Torpedo Coyote looks interesting. I particularly like that there will be a model, no leather/nylon covering, with latches.

I love my Walt Johnson. I don't usually stuff it, use a mute bag, but it is possible to get everything you need into it.

I love my Walt Johnson single case, too. And I'd love to have the WJ Combo case, but as mentioned above, Walt stopped making cases.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:
Actually that "vintage" case is not the same as the original Reunion Blues triple bag.

How is the Vintage case different?

And great tip regarding putting hardboards in the sides of the Triple bag - I might just do that!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
At the risk of sounding like a Nanuk salesman (which I'm not) the Nanuk 935 is down to $149 vs $359 for the Brass Bags.

The Nanuk is 4 pounds heavier but it's virtually indestructible, watertight, airline approved, can be padlocked, has room for a few mutes if carefully positioned around trumpet and flugel (which need to be in togas). And it has wheels!

And while I'm not a Pelican salesman, I believe the Pelican cases are used by the U.S. Military, and right now they're 40% off today for Black Friday.

http://www.thepelicanstore.com/
Drewsmitty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to put an update on this thread. I took my chances on the recommendation of the Nanuk 935 and it has worked out very well. When I purchased it I got it with the pick-n-pluck foam. Along with it I picked up a couple yards of velvet and spray adhesive for cheap and made the pads out of the existing foam.

For any of you DIY'ers out there this is a great affordable option for a flight case. Here are some images of the finished product. Took me a couple nights to knock out.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_0hP91rTuwrIKzTO1vm7xfrFtnrBPCOe

Thanks for the tips!
jc_old

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reunion Blues Continental!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: