• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

pre-air?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: pre-air? Reply with quote

A thread on another forum referred to an exercise that was attributed to Carmine called "pre-air". Supposedly, it was an advanced exercise that the student began by blowing just air and bringing the lips together. I feel like I was a fairly advanced student of Carmine's, I did the scales from ranging from the double pedals to the double highs, Cavallini, Baermann, and Jeanjean, plus note bending, but I never heard of this technique, In fact, I always heard Carmine talk about the lips starting together and being opened by the air.

Did any of you other Carmine students hear of this and, if so, how was it applied ad what was the goal?

Alan
american boy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only thing I can remember along those lines from Carmine was starting the 6 notes with air attack on the first note,then tongue the next two
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just try it for a while and see if it helps your playing. Caruso was all about creating things (ie guiding) students in a way that would help them individual capacity and understanding. Maybe air attacks would screw one person up, but would be the miracle drug for you? Who knows. He's dead now and the ideas are floating around to be interpreted by YOU.

fwiw, I regularly employ "pooh" or "air" attacks in to my daily routine as a way of maintaining great immediate aperture control.
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not looking for some new remedy for my playing. As a teacher, I'd like to know, if this is some legitimate Caruso technique, what it was used for and how it was applied. I felt very close to Carmine (didn't we all?) and I try to be a prescriptive teacher as he was. I'm hoping someone on TH has been given this exercise or witnessed it being taught. I also expect there's a fair chance this is just legend and not reality.

Thanks for your replies.

Alan
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible that the person you heard it from is confused, or even coined the phrase personally? Did you asked the source for clarification?

Kent
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carmine prescribed several such exercises for me over the years, although I never heard him use that term (pre-air). Mostly, we would use them as an alternate "recovery exercise" in addition to the low F#. The basic one was to start blowing the air on beat one (obviously, everything was timed-as timing is the core of all CC study) without the lips touching. Therefore the air would go into the horn without it being turned into sound. On beat one of the second bar I would put my lips together and make a G in the staff for four counts, then I'd open them back up so the next four counts were just air going into the horn, then sound for four counts, etc. until I ran out of air.

All of this was done with a steady blow, unchanged whether the note was speaking or I was just blowing air through the horn. He had me do these at a "room temperature" volume, although I know he gave them to others at FF and PPP.

This helped me sense precisely the point of balance where the air was turned into sound. It also reestablished physical sensation of the lips when they were tired and becoming numb and unresponsive.

Eventually, we did this on other open harmonic series notes (the tuning C, 4th space E and G atop the staff-I sat in on one of Laurie Frink's lessons with CC where he had her doing it on high C) . We also introduced the tongue by tonguing on beat three of each whole note.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Pat.
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff!

Never heard of the "pre-air" drills.

Not to hijack the thread, but I vaguely recall CC mentioning something to me one time about playing into the horn without the mouthpiece inserted. It wasn't really clear what he meant for me to do. We didn't pursue it again and unfortunately I never asked him to explain a little more in detail.
mcstock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like something Julie Landsman talks about in her video on recovery.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/julielandsman/index.html

Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: