• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Annual report BE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:21 am    Post subject: Annual report BE Reply with quote

Hi again!
Wishing to get feedback I want to tell you about my first year doing the BE. Please excuse me for this long post History takes its toll..
Starting point: I had recovered from a serious breakdown in my blowing;
having played the cornet/trumpet for more than 55 years I decided to start practicing a lot more - now having ample time to do so. Shortly thereafter my lips went to the dogs - at the end barely able to blow a tiny middle C.
A pro in the band saved me - 18 lessons. Wrong chops most of my life - although Iīve played solocornet and leadchair most of the time. Using Bach 1 1/4 incl lead.
So back on track I started to practice a lot - gaining endurance, tonal quality. Found the Trumpet Herald.

Then the BE starting January 2016. 1 month in full time BE + technical stuff (tricky solocornet-parts)
What happened? No problems doing basic RO:s; RI:s starting on G; my problem was/is a bit weak left side of the lips, "flapping/leaking". Mpc a tiny little bit to the right side due to a tooth once broken so not "full size".
My old Schilke 14 gave way to a custom made 143D3, finally a Denis Wick Ultra 7C far deeper, less diam (16,25). Endurance rapidly better - range now OK for Brassband (D); Today I can tolerate heavy rehearsals, concert, still feeling fresh. A very obvious benefit: stable chops - better than ever in my 57:nd blowing life. In fact I have never ever felt these steadfast, solid lips.
Before summer 2016 occasionally high C starting RI; Summer/autumn beginning with G later in the day C but tiring doing the C-G-C-G-C etc down to F# (top on staff). Still problems RO up to more than high C; also Iīve found that placement of the mpc is crucial - sometimes I get tired but a very small adjustment, ususally in the form of less upper lip (extremely small change) will do it. `Snapsīstill do not come easily - ordinary liptrilling goes just fine. Why so??
During the later part of autumn 2016 I started out with Popīs range pyramid - reverting to just BE last month? Why - high range not coming (over Eb) "fast enough" very good scheme(Popsī) - I will re-start in the future - but the RI:s seem better for now. Colinīs advanced - up to D secure (Colin has followed me since the seventies - then up to F# - probably mostly the squeaking type....). If I take my old Bach 1 1/4 my range gains - compared to the Wick. But this Bach is not appropriate in the contemporary brassband (once was) and my tonal quality on the Wick is far better. So old question again: practice - should I practice leadmpc (=shallow) or legit mpc??? I have no problems switching to leadpiece - but that kind of sound is out of the question in the brassband.....But which one would be the most "seminal" doing the BE??
Now starting RI:s on high C every time - slowly the leaking diminishes (I īve been notoriously forgetting the LCS:s). RI:s now ranging high C down to (first) pedal C. Already this autumn sometimes a strong D pops out, me overshooting also in leadchair (a different leadpiece). But the RO:s up to G - just ainīt possible. I can squeak a E - but on the other hand I could squeak a G, a F# in the seventies in the bigband of that time, as concluding tone.
I have devoloped a keen sense for the state of my chops, when to take a break, not to push the envelope etc. - at the same time discovering that I will not tire, I can nail the phrase - a feeling of confidence that Iīve never ever have had also growing into my everyday life
Current state: high register still ending at a secure D; Eb/E within a song. Endurance good enough for lead - soloccornet; I have had gigs lasting 1 1/2 hour no pause still feeling fresh. So the high register (my playable register is "greater" than ever) still eludes me; RO:s up high just wonīt come out. I think that I lock my upper lip - found out that I am most probably a moderate down-streamer. Celebrated my 74:rth birthday the other day. So age might be a problem? But as my endurance is sufficient so why not the high register?

Comments and tips most welcome!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you willing to post a recording?

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:

Sure - but how do I proceed?? Never done that before - besides Iīm a bit busy next two days but - anyway - instructions please! What would you want me to record??
Thanks!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
Richard III wrote:

Sure - but how do I proceed?? Never done that before - besides Iīm a bit busy next two days but - anyway - instructions please! What would you want me to record??
Thanks!

And from a distant beach you may hear the faint sound of a trumpeter blowinī "Oh sole mio"

Killing `meī own thread softly?

Dal segno al coda: 1)leaking left corner of mouth? 2)high register still elusive 3)problems roll out up to more than high C 4)shut up go on practicing?
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymor, not everyone who responds to you in this forum knows anything about BE.

I'm happy to give general feedback here. But for specific issues, a public forum is not the best venue. Ninety-nine percent of my work online with BE is one-on-one through my email. And there is no charge for this.

One general point. You asked if your age is an issue. The answer is, age is a variable. There are 74-year-olds who are robust and vital. And there are players the same age who are weak and in fragile health.

If you are physically and mentally robust, your age is not much of an issue.

Jeff
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetteacher1 wrote:
Seymor, not everyone who responds to you in this forum knows anything about BE.

I'm happy to give general feedback here. But for specific issues, a public forum is not the best venue. Ninety-nine percent of my work online with BE is one-on-one through my email. And there is no charge for this.

One general point. You asked if your age is an issue. The answer is, age is a variable. There are 74-year-olds who are robust and vital. And there are players the same age who are weak and in fragile health.

If you are physically and mentally robust, your age is not much of an issue.

Jeff

Aha! Thanks - I will follow your recommendation. The general point: as far as I know I'm in perfect health, probably far better than the majority of my contemporaries; so far
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: