• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flexus help - bends

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
comebackcornet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Flexus help - bends Reply with quote

Hi, I apologize if this does not belong in the CC forum however since Laurie Frink was one of the preeminent teachers of Caruso (that I knew of at least) I figured this was the best place.

My question concerns the bend studies on p40&41 of Laurie's book Flexus that have you hold a particular pitch while changing fingerings. I have been doing these exercises for a month now and I do not really have any problems with exercises 1-6 which are based on first line E or 2nd space A. What's odd is that Laurie says the most difficult exercise is #6 which starts on the A and changes fingerings up to third space C Without actually changing pitch. I'm not saying I've mastered this yet, but I can do it decently.

What I am having a Hard time with is #7 & 11, holding a third space C (or 4th space E), and maintaining the pitch while changing to a B fingering (or D#). I find I have to really strain my face (can't actually describe well) in order to pinch off the sound enough to somewhat maintain the pitch. I also do better by not involving my tongue (not changing level) at all. I am actually better when fingering notes farther away from the starting notes (like 1st valve for C or E).

I am concerned that this manipulation/strain is not good for me and possibly not what is intended - as I have slowly learned to try to eliminate strain in my playing.

Hopefully some on this forum have had experience with these exercises, or I hope I have explained the exercise clearly enough to solicit some good advice/suggestions.

Thank you in advance.
drboogenbroom
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have my copy of Felxus in front of me, however, you might double check the instructions. I'm pretty sure all of the descending bends are done open, like traditional lip bends. So you would play the C and the B both open, as opposed to playing the C with a B fingering.

Kevin

Bruno Walter
comebackcornet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drboogenbroom wrote:
I don't have my copy of Felxus in front of me, however, you might double check the instructions. I'm pretty sure all of the descending bends are done open, like traditional lip bends. So you would play the C and the B both open, as opposed to playing the C with a B fingering.

Kevin

The instructions are: ... maintaining a pitch while moving the valves. (These are followed on subsequent pages by more traditional bends - moving the pitch without using the valves.

Actually, it seems just trying to describe my problem has helped my whatever (body, subconscious, etc.) figure out a better way to approach these. By backing off on the volume and just trying to relax I seem to do much better. If I visualize it changing from a C to a B and then bending the B back up it works a good percentage of the time. I still feel a very slight bit of tension in the neck, but not like I'm trying to cut off the sound at the throat so I think I'm on the right track.

Would still appreciate the advice of anyone who has tried these. Thanks.
BBB1976
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Flexus help - bends Reply with quote

Hi there
Firstly, congratulations on choosing Flexus as it transformed my playing ability and is indeed a wonderful book! I have studied flexus for 3 years and understand the approach.
The bends on pg 40-41 are excellent! Numbers 7 and 11 are bending down to a semitone and NOT staying on the same pitch like numbers 1-6. Please be clear about this. As with all these things it is important to point out, it is HOW you approach the exercises. so, make sure you are maintaining good support and a horizontal air flow (crucial concept regarding this system) when approaching these. Try not to be too chop conscious, and think about the air here!
Hope this helps and please mail me if you need more help.
Also, a book which goes together with flexus is Special Studies for Trumpet by John Daniel.
Happy practicing.
comebackcornet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I don't know how I messed those instructions up, but you are right.

Actually, now in my defense I believe #7 is poorly annotated, it is not written in the same "code" as other lip bends and looks exactly like the maintaining pitch exercises #1-6. However #8 to 13 are clearly marked as normal bending, so I have been making things way too difficult for myself.

It seems like I am ready to move on to the next section. Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: