• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A Teacher in New York

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dHoff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that there aren't a million of them but, I don't know anyone. I need a teacher to help me focus on the basics.

I want to develop great habits now, before I develop bad ones.

Suggestions on whom to choose and how to choose would be appreciated
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously, no one has replied, so I'll make a few suggestions. I'm not sure that all maintain private studios, but they are worth checking out. You did not state which type of playing that you prefer. Roger Ingram teaches in NYC, and also a former student of Bobby Shew. Mike Ponella, Greg Gisbert, Tony Kadleck, Scott Wendholt, to name a few.They do Broadway, and some play with Fedchock's Big Band. Mark Gould, for more classically oriented studies if you prefer.

Again, I'm not sure if they all teach privately, but all are excellent players, and would probably have suggestions for you. These are just a few of many fine players in NYC. More times than not, many do teach, because horn players don't travel as much as they used to. Roger Ingram may be the exception, traveling with Harry Connick.

Good luck!

Pete
dHoff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!
I had given up hope. I listen to Jazz and classical music with an ear towards the Free-er in Jazz. Still I wasn't very good when I gave it up 20 years ago. I am starting from scratch now. The basics are what I need. I would like to follow up on the leads you gave.

-dH
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dHoff,

No problem. I'm glad that I could be of some help.

Pete
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: