• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

bashing lounge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should make a new lounge just for ill tempered, mean spirited bashing of other methods and players. This way it could be like a combat zone where you enter at your own risk and all needless negativity and slamming would be inappropriate in any other category. Sort of like a sewerage repository, and as long as it didn't get vulgar or rascist, the members that have this inclination could come here and vent and flame to their hearts content. Maybe you could serve bran muffins.

[ This Message was edited by: bugleboy on 2001-11-20 14:45 ]
ChopsMcgraw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man-
No offense, but I'm not real sure thats a good idea. Trumpet players as a whole generally have a bad rep for being a-holes, especially the younger players who don't know better yet;(not to exclude any of the older players (JM)). I would rather see the forum as a place where the young players could see an example of experienced trumpet players helping one another in a supportive, non-egotistic manner, a manner in which the younger players could see that the really good players don't have a need to bash on other players or techniques because they know what they are capable of, and want to help other players. While I am by no means a pro player (just a college kid trying to stay in Jazz I) I do feel that an example of courteousness would do more to forward the younger players in the attainment of musical maturity. Groovus-

ChopsMcgraw
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chops,

I agree with you 100%.

The catch words in my post were:

".......and all needless negativity and slamming would be inappropriate in any other category."

In other words, get all the sewerage in one container, sort of like a septic tank, and then it would be against protocol to introduce it in any other category. We only use one room in the house for nature's callings, so why not one category for same on the forum?

This is somewhat in jest (remember the bran muffins reference) but maybe there is value to it.

[ This Message was edited by: bugleboy on 2001-11-20 20:18 ]
Horn of Praise
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugleboy,

In a way, I know where you are coming from. You would like an electronic "boxing ring" with no referee. It can be very frustrating when something doesn't end gracefully.

Personally, if I wanted to tell somebody off, I would send them a private e-mail. If I "tore them up" on the forum, where everyone could read it, then I obviously just want to publicly prove that I am right.

And then my motivation for participating in this forum is wrong in the first place --- isn't it?

[ This Message was edited by: Horn of Praise on 2001-12-15 15:37 ]
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

Well, I did say no vulgarity or rascism. So wouldn't that be something like a referee? Please understand that this is only a semi serious suggestion. But, then again it may have some merit.

The intent was to be more of an innuendo directed towards a recent attack on J. Callet. I thought everyone would see that.

Regards,

Charles Raymond
Horn of Praise
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Horn of Praise on 2001-12-09 11:27 ]
Max Reverb
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2001 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think confidence in one's own trumpet playing ability and a man's comfort level in his masculinity are two closely related topics. The more one rants and raves, the more he appears to be insecure (and probably is!) and isn't ask good (or macho) as he thinks he is! I just wish we all could just try to build one another up, period. There is and always will be more than one way to get a certain task accomplished.
cybertrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes!! Just plant your feet and play and the world becomes a brighter place......
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2001 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To abcde,

*** To BugleBoy...to even suggest this doesn't say much for you as a person or a trumpet player...WHY would you want a place for negativity to abound...there's enough of that in the "REAL WORLD"!! Spend your energy on positive ideas...and also, there is no need to bash anybody...think about it...Maybe YOU need some way to vent your hostilities...please don't bring it over here...PLEASE...it should be about MUSIC and camaraderie ( a spirit of friendly good-fellowship)...maybe if we had more of that, instead of what you suggest (garbage), then, as another person stated, trumpet players would not be regarded as ass-holes... ***

*** It sounds like you may have some problems... ***

abcde, I don't know where you're coming from but the first thing you should do before you come bull dozing into the forum, making accusations, is to get your facts straight. This thread was created as a tongue-in-cheek direct response to some unfair and unkind remarks made towards Jerome Callet in another thread that has since been deleted. I was astounded that regular members, even before the original thread was deleted, misinterpreted my thread and took it literally. I mean, come on, "serve bran muffins" (you know for the posters who are mean spirited due to irregularity.......duh!). I was clearly indicting the posters who like to sling mud and recommending that (if you INSIST on taking this post seriously) all ill temper and mean spiritedness be confined to one dedicated lounge and therefore be out of line in all others:

"......the members that have this inclination could come here and vent and flame to their hearts content. ......and all needless negativity and slamming would be inappropriate in any other category."

Did you get that abcde, Something for those inclined and inappropriate in all other categories, i.e., forums.

Now, take a look at what you're saying.

*** to even suggest this doesn't say much for you as a person or a trumpet player ***

I'm suggesting that meanness be excluded from the forum and you're calling that a character flaw! Whew! And even if I was guilty of what you are accusing me of, how could that possibly have any relevance to my trumpet playing! You don't seem to have a rationally functioning mind, abcde. You are arriving at conclusions that are totally illogical.

*** Maybe YOU need some way to vent your hostilities...please don't bring it over here...PLEASE...it should be about MUSIC and camaraderie ( a spirit of friendly good-fellowship)...maybe if we had more of that, instead of what you suggest (garbage), then, as another person stated, trumpet players would not be regarded as ass-holes... ***

As I have pointed out, you're way out of line and off base with your remarks and even if you are referring to what someone else said, you're language is about as close as you can get to being vulgar enough to be deleted. Since you haven't quoted the expression, (put quotation marks around it) the language you are using is your own. I think it's time to clean up your own act, abcde, and start thinking a little more clearly about what you're writing. To quote another poster on the forum,

"It sounds like you may have some problems..."

[ This Message was edited by: bugleboy on 2001-12-15 16:17 ]
Bill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2001 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CR,

I thought your beginning post to this thread was hilarious.

Too bad some of us don't recognize the subtleties of oblique humor.

Keep the faith!

Wilmington Big Band
Artistry In Jazz Big Band
Snake Malone and the Black Cat Bone Blues Band
fzr Phil
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2001 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOOD ADVICE......went bad though!?

Many years ago i asked ( and recently)

Q.What are the fingerings above high c ?
A. you don't need to use valves for those notes...

Q. How do you play high notes ?
A. with the diaphragm....

Q. .........
A. need more air...

Q. .....play out of tune...
A. Listen to the sound..

Q. how do you play high?
A. point the air down into the mp.....

air running out after short phrase...
A. breathmarks every 2-3 bars...

Q. my mouthpiece......instrument..
A. mouthpiece doesn't mak ANY difference,... its not the instrument..

Q. i'm having trouble, maybe you can help?
A. I can play, but can't teach...

and more
for example.

Every person i have asked/ been my teacher/ book i have read / played with at band for years / forum poster e.t.c. i have the upmost respect for and would not contemplate bashing personally, but, having taken certain aspects of other peoples advice at different times thoughout my playing years i guess i am lucky to have maintained the interest and even luckier to have gotten by with my playing standard. maybe if i had taken more care/ or had the insight i have now, my playing abilities could very well be a lot higher.

I suppose the only person i could bash is me,

I don't know who told them the advice, but it must have worked for them and it must have come from somewhere.

happy bashing

phil martin

[ This Message was edited by: fzr Phil on 2001-12-15 20:31 ]
trumpetmagic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2002 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An idea of new lounge just for ill tempered, mean spirited bashing of other methods and players seems interesting without using any anger provoking phrases and words.

All participants must control their tempers and focus on the facts. No fabricated facts.

Just a thought.

Ken
detpt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Registration activation comment #2
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detpt wrote:
Registration activation comment #2

15 year old zombie thread.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: