• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Phone call with Jerry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Phone call with Jerry Reply with quote

So I picked up the phone and gave Jerry a call to wish him happy birthday. He and I hadn't spoken for many many years.

Jerry remembered me, my playing, where I was from, lessons, and the time he got asked to only demo horns and mouthpieces in the men's room at an ITG back in the 90s ....because he was playing so damned loud he'd drown out the entire exhibit room!!

It was a pleasure catching up and learning about all his new endeavors and I was in awe by his excitement, clarity, and general trumpet inquisitiveness about all things trumpet at 87 years of age.

After demonstrating some spit buzzing, Jerry asked me to play a bit on the phone, and made some suggestions for me to try. I scoffed at one idea, and he picked up a trumpet, and played a Cat Anderson solo ending on an Eb over double C......soooooo.... I said I'd spend some time trying out his new suggestions and ideas.

After he played for me, Jerry continued to share some great stories about some players and war stories from road in the 70s that were a real joy to hear.

I hope I have half his energy and zeal at 87 years of age.
Forte
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also called and wished him a happy birthday. His spit buzz is the strongest it's been in the 13 ish years I've been studying with him and he was super excited about trumpet as always.

I hope I can play trumpet as well as he can at 87 when I'm 37.

And I totally forgot to ask him about the new flugel! Maybe I'll call him back.

Thanks,
Robert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: