• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schools with Significant Scholarships

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShadyTree

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Schools with Significant Scholarships Reply with quote

I'm currently looking to go back to school at the age of 23 to finish a music performance degree I started before switching my major to accounting. I initially kept my search narrowed down to state schools thinking it would be the only financially feasible option, but I've realized that some schools have much more ability to come up with scholarship money to offset the higher tuition costs.

Does anyone have any suggestions for schools to consider that may be able to help compensate for out-of-state costs?
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realistically, almost any school can do this for you if your playing is strong enough to make them REALLY want you and your previous grades are decent.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the thread I started about Cal State Long Beach.

It is my understanding that if a student is accepted to the Bob Cole Conservatory, all tuition is free.

That leaves just room and board for the lucky parents to pay.
g.acupan

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Schools with Scholarships Reply with quote

Hi ShadyTree,

I just finished my first year at Chapman University in Orange, CA. I applied to California State Long Beach, University of Southern CA, and Chapman for Trumpet Performance, but Chapman offered me the largest sum of academic, music, and grant scholarships.

Cal State Long Beach didn't offer me any money, and USC offered me very little compared to tuition. Chapman, however, gave me a huge academic scholarship based off of HS gpa and SAT scores plus a music scholarship and grant money from financial aid. Many of my friends have had their financial need based off the FAFSA 100% met by grant money. My sister who plays horn will be attending Chapman for about the cost of a state school because the same situation played out for her.

I highly encourage you to check us out! Our Large Ensembles are growing, and across our small ensembles you'll get plenty of play time! Tim Hall is the teacher, and he's great!

Smaller growing private schools are the most generous!

Best Regards!
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact the schools' financial aid departments, visit their websites, talk to the professors at the schools your looking at.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you academically? A student who just graduated HS and has been in my college studio for 4 years was offered very significant money from Drake U (Des Moines, IA), money for both trumpet, on which he is a monster and for grades. Drake has decent Music dept, Andy (Classen) is a bang up player, and they also offer fine accounting and law schooling as well. As Pat says, if they want you, they usually can find a way. My student turned them down to attend U of IA, where he also was offered a more than substantial amount for academics as well as performance. (I think the kid's too smart to go into music, too...)
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.colburnschool.edu/page.cfm?p=1886
andybharms
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's worth pointing out that this is not the direction of things. Colleges, especially public ones, are becoming really stingy about departmental scholarships as the value of such things is skyrocketing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: